Notify
Tools

Fort Gordon Policies
 Login/Join

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pmahnke90:
I'm starting 25B AIT as an MOS-I in July. I've read through GOrdon's policy letter regarding privlidges and limiations. It says I can bring a laptop but need to "demonstrate the ability to secure the laptop computer" and of course list the laptop on the unit high dollar inventory record. Anyone else have a laptop at AIT? Can anyone explain the provision about demonstrating the ability to secure it? Is connectivity in the rooms free? Thanks for any info.

PM

You SHOULD be assigned a walllocker (with a lock YOU buy,) and should have a small 3-drawer chest with a tab to lock (again you buy the lock.))

There are HELLA laptops on Ft Gordon. The one thing to remember at Basic Training and AIT is
"If it's not locked up, it's stolen."

---Seriously, people steal $10 berets or $5 whatever all the time, even if you leave it under the pillow to go to the bathroom.
SECURE IT if it's out of your sight, or expect it to be gone.

-------------------------------------------------

There is no free wifi or cabling in the rooms.

You can pay for wireless internet through a cellphone company (I BELIEVE Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T provie, check zip 30905,) otherwise expect to be going to the library or the pay-for-use internet cafes.

Before you sign up for a plan, keep in mind you're going to have about 3-4 hrs of "free time" per day (which you also use for dinner, laundry, studying, other errands,) and sometimes weekends will be busy with work.

Try to use AIT to save some money so when you get to permanent party you can buy the stuff you NEED and then maybe some stuff you WANT.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am going to be heading to Ft. Gordon June 5th for 25B training. I am prior service going in as an E4. I am curious as to what the living arrangements are and if there will be internet access in the rooms? Being away from home for 5 months I will need to pay my bills online or make other arrangements. I have heard conflicting stories as far as what I should expect but if anyone can give me a definitive answer I would really appreciate it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 24 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned earlier that there isn't a drill sargent element in AIT companies any more. How does that work? Who does accountability, PT, gets the soldiers to class, smokes them when they inevitabily mess up, ect?

-----
A smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from other people's mistakes.

Posts: 32 | Registered: 02 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
25Bs are in the same Brigade, different Battalion than I am.

You MIGHT have your own room, share a bathroom.
HOWEVER, sometimes when the barracks get full you might share a larger room w/ up to 8others.

The PVTs stay in different Company and barracks, but you go to the same classes.

Depending on which barracks you are in, you MIGHT have wired internet, pay yourself. Otherwise, plan on doing a cellphone internet plan. (Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T all offer cellphone service, I would wait to see what internet services they offer here.)

The library and eduation center offer free internet. (Take your laptop to the library. Don't know about your laptop at the ed center.)

There are sometimes Day, Swing, and Midnight shift.
Day schedule in my Bn is wakeup and ready for PT by 0500ish, PT 0530-0630, class 0830-1630 with an hour for lunch. End of day formation is 1700, typically mailcall and announcements can take up to 1800 hrs.

Swing and Mid shifts are around the same time, just different timing.

-Don't bring TOO much stuff, but bring all the uniforms they give you. (to minimize doing laundry every other day..)
-If you're not bringing a car, get a bike. Post isn't huge, (maybe 3-4miles to the PX and back) it gets hot, but it would still be an alright way to get around post.

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 74/25Bagain:
Someone mentioned earlier that there isn't a drill sargent element in AIT companies any more. How does that work? Who does accountability, PT, gets the soldiers to class, smokes them when they inevitabily mess up, ect?

Dept of the Army- Trained Platoon Sergeants (SSG(P) or higher) are in charge at the company level.
Instructors assist as squad leaders helping with all of those duties.

This job has been just as challenging as Iraq/Afghanistan were. I'd say even More Challenging EXCEPT: I get to go home every night, no one is tossing 155mm rockets at us day in/day out, and I don't have to watch out for any Toyotas filled with explosives on the road....

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TekkMonkey:
I am curious as to what the living arrangements are and if there will be internet access in the rooms?

According to a 25B Instructor,
"we have commercial paid for, wireless access points in each of our company barracks"

---------------------------------------------

Other Companies/ Battalions do NOT have the same arrangement.!!!

posted Hide Post
i was at fort gordon in 07 but i did not complete ait training for 25c instead i got out on a chapter 8 (pregnancy discharge) to raise my daughter since her father was deploying now i am re-enlisting as 25b and going back to fort gordon to complete my ait training im prior service but as an e2 would i end being an mos-i or a mos-t?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 05 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
If you didn't graduate AIT you SHOULD be an MOS-I. They might put you as an MOS-T though.
(We have a holdover SPC who should be an MOS-I since he didn't finish AIT somewhere else and came to Gordon. He's considered MOS-T.)

Honestly, as much as it would suck, going through as an MOS-I would make you a better Soldier. You'll learn discipline and skills rather than see the bad habits and attitudes that a lot of the MOS-Ts have....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
If you didn't graduate AIT you SHOULD be an MOS-I. They might put you as an MOS-T though.
(We have a holdover SPC who should be an MOS-I since he didn't finish AIT somewhere else and came to Gordon. He's considered MOS-T.)

Honestly, as much as it would suck, going through as an MOS-I would make you a better Soldier. You'll learn discipline and skills rather than see the bad habits and attitudes that a lot of the MOS-Ts have....

well if i do go in as a mos-i has it changed much since 2 years ago like i know 447 was allowed cars but 369 wasnt and i know 2 years ago i wasnt allowed a laptop do they still divide the companies by mos cause 2 years ago i was there when they made that switch and 150 people went awol during it

Posts: 2 | Registered: 05 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FireCat61387:
well if i do go in as a mos-i has it changed much since 2 years ago like i know 447 was allowed cars but 369 wasnt and i know 2 years ago i wasnt allowed a laptop do they still divide the companies by mos cause 2 years ago i was there when they made that switch and 150 people went awol during it

Yes, Companies are split by MOS.
Most MOS-I privileges depend on the Company policies, cars shouldn't be allowed unless the AIT training is longer. 25L is too short, I believe..

posted Hide Post
Are MOS-Is able to take a pov? my orders are saying yes i am able to but ive also heard that no we cannot. I am a 25S and my AIT is 26 weeks long, my DS is saying that any AIT over 20 weeks we are able to take them.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jrrainey:
Are MOS-Is able to take a pov? my orders are saying yes i am able to but ive also heard that no we cannot. I am a 25S and my AIT is 26 weeks long, my DS is saying that any AIT over 20 weeks we are able to take them.

You CAN take a POV to any Army school you want, you just might not be allowed to drive it. Wink
--As a 25S you WILL be allowed to drive it, AFTER you complete certain requirements. You can take it to Gordon and park it OR you can wait until you get authorized to drive it and have it shipped/driven to you.

Where is your POV located now? Sometimes it's cheaper to ship it than to have family drive it to you.

---Do NOT try to smuggle it to Ft Gordon and drive it before you get the authorization from your COMMANDER to drive it.

Soldiers get busted all the time doing that- it's just not worth losing a half months' pay for 2 months plus being on restriction (not allowed to leave the barracks) and doing extra duty (3-5hours after class every day) for 20days.
-(And you will be waking up by 0430hrs and not getting done with class until around 1700hrs every day. If you're on "day shift". Swing shift is the same krappy hours, just later in the day.)

You'll be in B Company, 551 Signal Battalion
http://www.gordon.army.mil/551/index.htm

Here are some of the extra rules you have to live by- the part about driving POVs is in #17.
-Go to http://www.gordon.army.mil/sigbde15/
-Click COMMAND down at the bottom center
-Click POLICY LETTERS

(By reading this you get the side benefit of getting acquainted with the way the Army writes their mumbo jumbo. Wink )

Remember no matter how boring it gets at Gordon, you signed up to be a SOLDIER, one who must know very technical skills in order to support the infantry and other Soldiers that go out there to KILL THE ENEMY. Learn your job well! Don't waste your time there!

Let me know if you have other questions, Good luck at school!
-Former 25P AIT Instructor

posted Hide Post
Well I got here this week. For you other 25Ss headed this way there is about a 3-4 month waiting period for classes to start as our company is composed of about 500 people right now. Most other 25 series that I am friends with are starting classes next week. Basically we pretty much do details until 1700, it sounds bad but it really beats basic training. We actually have a lot of fun but you need to stay motivated. If anyone has any questions about whats going on ill be happy to answer.

posted Hide Post
jrrainey,

Dont get caught up in the ait drama, i hear they do things in the portable potties and drink and do everything under the sun. the bad thing about it is they usually get caught. Fort Gordon sucks!!

Posts: 127 | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I finally have a class date... I arrived here on 01 May and will not start class till 12 July. We do not have internet in the B co 551 barracks but I believe one of the other barracks has a couple of computers that do, but I would not rely on that. There is no wireless internet in 551 that I know of other then the library or you can pay and go to the IET center or a CZ zone and they have different plans that are available for purchase.