New
Find
Notify
Tools

35N laptop specs
 Login/Join

Picture of WJM
posted
My son starts AIT this month and has asked for a new laptop.
Can anyone provide specs for the laptop that would be most useful for his AIT as a 35N Signal Intelligence Analyst?

Posts: 2 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 05 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sprat2
posted Hide Post
I would ask him what he wants but as far as his job I am almost 100% certain he will not be doing any of his "job" on it. Because of the sensitive nature of his job the Army will give him everything he needs. His new laptop will be for his own use only.

Posts: 260 | Location: Macdill AFB | Registered: 21 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
True statement above. The intelligence school will issue him a very slow and crappy laptop that they overpaid on by about 300%.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
On top of that, it will probably be in a secure facility. His personal laptop will never even be in the same building.

Posts: 392 | Registered: 17 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
100% agree, any machine you get for him will be for OFF-DUTY uses.

Find a budget which you are comfortable with and stick to that- There will ALWAYS be a better laptop available, I personally have never spent more than $900 for a machine.

PS- Why are you buying and not him?? Smiler He'll be getting free room/board and won't "Have to" buy even clothes. The Army will give him everything he needs, his paycheck will be whatever he wants to use it for.

As a dad of 3, I say it's good sometimes they learn to SAVE and buy stuff themselves. Sure he might want it NOW but counsel him to NOT use a creditcard or loan or payment plan to buy ANYTHING...!

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yeah was going to say. The kid just spent two months in BCT with nothing to spend his money on. Make him get his own laptop.

Posts: 75 | Registered: 30 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of WJM
posted Hide Post
Thanks much for the feedback. Pretty much what I expected.
He is paying for his car and other debts.
I always try to help where I can.
Probably wants game laptop.LOL
Imagine some boring times when not in class at Goodfellow.

Posts: 2 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 05 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Yes- long AITs are a struggle!
Army training is, well, BORING-

you've done well- keep on parenting! Smiler
If you check out a computer magazine or a few reviews you can find out what's worth it and what's not, it's always a cost vs. features issue then shop around some.

(ps- as far as the car, I'm 38yrs old with a paycheck maybe 3x bigger than his, and I drive a 1997. It's all about what we spend it on!!)

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post