ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  Joining the Active (Regular) Army    Enlisting into 35 Series - Language requirement?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enlisting into 35 Series - Language requirement?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I got a 110. I was surprised, because I felt like I screwed up a lot of the test, and even guessed the first part of a section when I missed the instructions!

I signed my contract for MOS 35P, Crytologic Linguist. I wanted 35M, but that's what was available, and my recruiter pushed me for it. It actually sounds pretty cool, as well as the opportunity to go to DLI. I'm intimidated, but if I can do it, I'm sure it'll be a great experience.

Finishing all the various tests required to enlist was a huge relief, but now I have the huge headache of top secret clearance with sci!

I'm going to have that hanging over my head all through basic, and for the next year!

Posts: 16 | Registered: 01 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Make sure you tell the complete truth on your security clearance paperwork. Additionally, the same person should never be listed twice - this speeds up the process. For example, one of your three "people that know you best" should not be someone who is also listed as "someone who knows you at this address" for example. Don't leave any gaps in time, etc.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thank you. luckily, that is one of the few things my recruitment office didn't screw up when working on my sf86.

Didn't list anybody more than once. In my security interview, the interviewer actually helped me match times up. It's definitely tough going so far back with all of the residences I've been at. Especially since a lot of places I only stayed for a month at. I got through the interview with all my timeline more or less connected to at least the interviewers approval.

I got a lot of heat from my recruiters for disclosing the truth on things they insisted I omit or even lie about.

I got fired from a job and told the interviewer. My recruiter was irked when I had to call him to change it. (You let them scare you guys! They wouldn't have found out!) I also disclosed collections(that have all been paid).

Navigating the process is pretty scary when one side(recruiter) is insisting you lie at every turn. I had a very stressful day at MEPS trying to do a lot of damage control and disclose things that were not disclosed at first.

For the most part, I feel like I got a lot off my chest, but still feeling pretty anxious about the process. Trying to get used to the idea that my clearance may be denied, and I'll be stuck with another MOS.

The MOS sounds very exciting, and rewarding, but a part of me wishes I went with a job that was less stressful in processing.

posted Hide Post
Really as long as you don't have DUI/DWI's in the past 10 years, huge amounts of debt, haven't been in a looney bin hospital, or experimented/abused illegal substances you'll be OK.

You'll look back and laugh when you meet some of the yahoos with a Top Secrets/SCI.

Great job on the DLAB by the way, all I could ever pull off was a 83.

Please though, don't be one of those wankers that goes around telling people the test is easy. I don't feel anyone could say that unless they do a 140 or better.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the DLAB means absolutely JACK SHIT when it comes to learning a language. I've seen people get 130-140 and fail their assigned language in a matter of a couple months. It doesn't translate whatsoever.

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I wouldn't tell people it was easy. I can't even say if it was hard or not..felt like a big leap of faith. I don't know even know what it was! I do think speaking a little Spanish helped out a bit. At least in the part where you are told to switch the order of nouns and adjectives and stuff like that. Came sort of naturally. Otherwise, I was really surprised with the outcome. I was sure I bombed at the time I completed it.

And yeah, 35M48V4PF, I'm definitely not approaching DLI with a passing DLAB score getting to my head. I actually didn't want the linguist job initially. But before that popped up, my recruiter was only offering me jobs like Food Service and Unit Supply(no disrespect to people in those fields, just wasn't interested).

I was intrigued, and thought I had a lot to gain with this MOS. I'm looking forward to the challenge. I know what will get me through is a hard work ethic..especially since it's such a short time to learn a language. It's intimidating, but the reason I'm joining the army in the first place is to challenge myself with something new. I feel lucky to have been offered this opportunity.

One thing I will say to people in the recruiting process: DONT LET THE RECRUITERS CONVINCE YOU TO LIE.

I really don't have much of anything to hide in my background. And like Corvette says, there's lots of yahoos in these positions already who get clearances with much more to hide. I hear of people getting TS clearances with DUIS, and my recruiter is telling me to lie about being fired at a part-time job I had 5 years ago!

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Good job, you already have a good attitude. Good luck as a 35P.

posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
I would submit to you that the Army is not really for you.

You seem to already have a negative attitude. The Army is going to put you where it needs you. There are people that would kill for that opportunity.

Yes you will be recycled into something else if you don't pass. Yes you probably don't get to pick the language, and it will be about 50/50 middle eastern or Asian since that's what they really need (assuming you do well enough on the DLAB). Plus you seem to only want to use the military to get a skillset. This isn't a bad idea, but it's not a great idea either. If your heart isn't into the commitment you aren't going to make it very far. Just my opinion.