ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  Joining the Active (Regular) Army    Prior Service attempting to go back to Active Duty
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prior Service attempting to go back to Active Duty
 Login/Join

posted
I ETS'd from Active duty at the end of June 2011 and am currently in the IRR. I want to go back to active duty but have been told by active duty recruiters that they cannot help me and that I need to talk to a Reserve career counselor since I am in the reserves. Reserve Career Counselors tell me that since I am attempting to go on Active duty that I need to speak with an Active Duty recruiter. I am just trying to clarify which is accurate and get a bearing so I know what I need to do. I'm 26,11B, E-5 have 5 years on Active Duty, Reentry Code 1. A couple of the recruiters said that the only thing available now is 18X contracts and that since I already have infantry training and have been to jump school that if somehow I can get released from IRR to go active duty that I would be sent straight to SF Selection......That can't be right????? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 31 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Nope, they are wrong, 18x is only for e4 and below, you CANNOT go active duty as you are an e5 and you cannot request to drop in rank...you cannot talk to the reserve recruiter because you are in the Army IRR...so your only option is to go talk to a career counselor at a Reserve unit and join the Reserves that way, thats IT!

I know b/c im a Rcruiter and dealt with this a lot recently.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sorry man but Transam is right...SF is for E-4 and below..there is no way for you to come back onto active duty..and prob wont be for the next few years...this is why all soldiers should have a solid plan before leaving the army...your only hope of getting the paycheck and benifets is to join the RES..and try to get activated or go AGR..

SFC T

Posts: 161 | Registered: 21 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input and honesty.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 31 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SFC_Mac
posted Hide Post
skeffer66,

PM me and I'll see what your options are around your area. I'm an Army Reserve Career Counselor.

Posts: 163 | Registered: 21 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My time of service was 2002-2005 I'm an e-4, if I go Reserve, what's the honest to god truth about going active? Will I have a better chance of getting back in active duty that way?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 23 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hellz
posted Hide Post
going AD from res. or NG is probably very very very very slim.

not impossible, but just as they arent accepting prior service at the recruiters, they arent accepting transfers as well.

now.. your results may vary.. im not a recruiter, or career counsoler.. im sure there are a few floating around who can chime in.

now, i see alot of prior serv. guys asking about going AD and or deploying.. my question is "how long do you want to deploy or go on orders?"

if people are only looking for a year or two.. the join the guard or reserves and check out MobCop and volunteer for a deployment. hell, you basically get to pick where you want to go...

Posts: 171 | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Run that last paragraph for me again please. Looks like I might just do special forces as I hear the benefits are limitless if you get selected.

Picture of Hellz
posted Hide Post
SF is a great option.
iirc its 18X.. If you are able to make it through.

MobCop is a DoD site where units post available slots, and where Soldiers can go to volunteer/apply for these open slots. these are normally 1 year assignments.
https://mobcop.army.mil/tod/Default_new.aspx

Posts: 171 | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a few question if you may
1.Those 1 year assignments how are they beneficial besides the fact that I'll be activated for one year, will they give me an option to stay active after the one year?
2.Are the locations only Afghanistan or Korea, or are some locations in the states?