ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  Joining the Active (Regular) Army    concerning my 64 college credits and career path.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

concerning my 64 college credits and career path.
 Login/Join

posted
Background - I've been in a private school (d3) playing football for 2.5 years. I have registered 64 credits. GPA = bad. It's a 1.77, it was a 1.93 and I was on an upward path to getting it over a 2.0 but this semester killed me with two very hard accounting classes and a pretty rough econ professor.

With that being said, I lost my financial aid and won't be going back.

Now, my options are to enlist or go to a community college and pay for it myself.

I'm pretty set on enlisting so I can finish school for free as soon as possible through the military.

I am considering the Air Force and the Army, but I think there are more fields I'm interested in in the Army. My dad and grandpa were both Air Force.

A few things I think Im interested in for Army are Infantry, Aviation, and Special Forces.

If anyone could give me some advice on what to do and how much my 64 credits will help me I'd appreciate it very much. Also, what will I be able to do once I finish school? I am also curious about the Warrant Officer program, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get close to applying for that now.

Sorry for the long read.

Pain is temporary, Pride is forever.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 05 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
you 64CC will allow you to enter the army as an E-3...The trick is to get into the army..it is super hard right now...and your job(MOS) you want may not be their..take what they offer..and enjoy the Free college.

SFC T

Posts: 161 | Registered: 21 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I concur that it's pretty hard to get some of the premier jobs that you might want from the services nowadays. Not just the Army.

I know everyone wants to be an Airborne Ranger, Special Forces guy and a fighter jet pilot. I get it. It's cool and everyone wants to do it because those guys are the best.

However, it the current economy and the Army downsizing, you might have to settle to become a <deleted, DW>.

Beggars can't be choosers. I think ANYONE who can even get their foot in the door to join is lucky.

My recommendation is this:

Get your foot in the door, score real well on the ASVAB or AFCT or whatever they call it nowadays. Try to get the job you want, but if they tell you 'NO' then settle for the next best thing. It might require you to fix some <deleted, DW> for a few years but at least you are IN.

If you low-balled on the ASVAB then take the GT improvement class (FAST) class in between fixing your <deleted, DW> and try to BEAR or somehow re-class into your desired MOS.

You have to be very, very good to not just get but QUALIFY in the aforementioned premier MOSs. (ABN Ranger/Special Forces/Fighter Pilot blah blah blah). If you wash out then you will end up fixing <deleted, DW> anyways. But you can try, won't hurt to try.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Daddy Warcrimes,

Posts: 117 | Location: Korea | Registered: 21 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iSnowy:
I concur that it's pretty hard to get some of the premier jobs that you might want from the services nowadays. Not just the Army.

I know everyone wants to be an Airborne Ranger, Special Forces guy and a fighter jet pilot. I get it. It's cool and everyone wants to do it because those guys are the best.

However, it the current economy and the Army downsizing, you might have to settle to become a <deleted, DW> Repairer.

Beggars can't be choosers. I think ANYONE who can even get their foot in the door to join is lucky.

My recommendation is this:

Get your foot in the door, score real well on the ASVAB or AFCT or whatever they call it nowadays. Try to get the job you want, but if they tell you 'NO' then settle for the next best thing. It might require you to fix some <deleted, DW> for a few years but at least you are IN.

If you low-balled on the ASVAB then take the GT improvement class (FAST) class in between fixing your <deleted, DW> and try to BEAR or somehow re-class into your desired MOS.

You have to be very, very good to not just get but QUALIFY in the aforementioned premier MOSs. (ABN Ranger/Special Forces/Fighter Pilot blah blah blah). If you wash out then you will end up fixing <deleted, DW> anyways. But you can try, won't hurt to try.

I agree, get a foot in the door. You will have the advantage of coming in as a PFC (higher pay), but outside of that your college will not do anything for you initially. You will still be serving next to those of us with GEDs, Bachelor degrees, and even a few graduate degree holders.

When I joined I wanted Airborne Ranger. Then I learned that with a GED the best I could get was 11X with Station of Choice. I chose Campbell, went to a great unit, and learned quickly that Rangers are not the only Soldiers proficient in their jobs. Oh, and my AFQT and GT scores were high enough to qualify for about anything else besides those options closed due to my educational status.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Daddy Warcrimes,

Ne Desit Virtus

Noli Me Tangere

Posts: 4 | Location: Southeast US | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of erikwithak86
posted Hide Post
Go talk to a recruiter and take the ASVAB and that should lay out the guidelines for what you qualify for and what's open at the time.

Your college credit will impact you in a positive way being able to enlist at least E3. If you are in for 4 years or more, chances are you will make Sergeant. Most guys are making it no problem on their first enlistment nowadays. College credit is big points for promotions down the road and you already have a leg up on most of your peers.

If you make it in, depending on deployments and such (they are slowing down a lot, especially for big Army) you should be able to knock out some school.

The only way you're going to find all this out is to go see a recruiter.

Posts: 707 | Registered: 18 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for responding, I respect your guys' replies.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm going to take what I can get, but keep my ultimate goal in the back of my head. I know I need to finish my degree in order to have a chance at becoming a warrant officer or officer.

I have talked to a recruiter, I plan to take the ASVAB in about a month so I have some time to study and take some practice tests.

posted Hide Post
Update:
I took the ASVAB and got an 82.

I want to do 11b (infantry) because it is a starting point for special forces, airborne school, ranger school, and sniper school.

A few years down the road after I finish my degree I could try to put in my packet for warrant officer and try to become a pilot.

I have one problem. I have to get a waiver for a DUI I got a little over a year ago, but the recruiters said it should be okay.

Unfortunately, I think this will still hurt me when I'm applying for those other jobs....

posted Hide Post
11X (11B/11C they pick your MOS in Benning) will probably be there. A great way to start a career, but keep your mind open to other Combat Arms.

OCS - Read below
SOLDIERS IN THE ACTIVE COMPONENT (AC) MUST NOT HAVE REACHED THEIR 28TH BIRTHDAY ON THE
DATE OF SUBMISSION OF THEIR OCS PACKET TO HRC. SEE PARAGRAPH 5G.
E. SOLDIERS IN THE RESERVE COMPONENTS, BOTH THE ARMY RESERVE (AR) AND ARMY NATIONAL GUARD
(NG) MUST NOT HAVE REACHED THEIR 34TH BIRTHDAY ON THE DATE OF SUBMISSION OF THEIR OCS
PACKET. SOLDIERS IN THE ARMY NATIONAL GUARD (NG) WILL SUBMIT THEIR PACKETS THRU THEIR STATES
TO THE NGB. THIS ENSURES ALL CANDIDATES AT FEDERAL OCS ARE COMMISSIONED PRIOR TO THEIR 34TH
BIRTHDAY (AR 350-51 PARA 1-7(M)). SEE PARAGRAPH 5G.
Formatted Courtesy of:
www.ArmyReenlistment.com
F. IAW REF F, PARAGRAPH 4-8 AND REF E, PARAGRAPH 2-1 SOLDIERS IN THE AGR PROGRAM MAY NOT
ATTEND OCS IN AGR STATUS. AGR SOLDIERS THAT WISH TO ATTEND OCS MUST FIRST BE REMOVED FROM
THE AGR PROGRAM. THESE SOLDIERS MAY THEN APPLY FOR OCS THROUGH THE ARMY RESERVE CAREERS
DIVISION OR ATTEMPT TO RE-ENTER ON ACTIVE DUTY AND APPLY FOR OCS THROUGH AC CHANNELS.
G. ALL DOCUMENTS SUBMITTED MUST BE STAMPED AS CERTIFIED TRUE COPIES IF NOT BEARING THE
IPERMS FILE NUMBER.
H. AC SOLDIERS THAT ARE IN THE RANK OF SSG (P) AND ABOVE, OR ARE IN THE PRIMARY OR SECONDARY
ZONE OF CONSIDERATION FOR SFC OR ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY.
I. RC SOLDIERS MUST HAVE ONE RECORD APFT WITHIN 60 DAYS OF SUBMISSION OF PACKET TO HRC.
J. MINIMUM APFT SCORE FOR ALL SOLDIERS IN ALL COMPONENTS APPLYING FOR OCS MUST BE 240 (80
POINTS IN EACH EVENT) ON ALL TESTS. APFT DATES MUST BE 30 DAYS OR MORE APART. MOST RECENT
APFT MUST BE WITHIN 60 DAYS OF SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION TO HRC.
K. A COMPLETED COPY OF DA FORM 2807-1 MUST BE INCLUDED IN THE APPLICATION PACKET. THE FORM
MUST SHOW THE REASON FOR THE PHYSICAL AND BE DATED. THE FORM MAY NOT BE OVER 1 YEAR OLD
FROM THE SCHEDULED SELECTION BOARD END DATE FOR WHICH THE SOLDIER IS APPLYING.
L. STRUCTURED INTERVIEW BOARD APPROVAL MEMOS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH EACH PACKET.
M. AC/RC SOLDIERS WILL NOT SUBMIT THEIR OWN OCS PACKET OR CORRECTION DOCUMENTS. AC
SOLDIER’S UNIT S1 WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SUBMITTING ALL CORRECTED/MISSING DOCUMENTS FOR
THE OCS BOARD. FOR USAR SOLDIERS, ARCD WILL SUBMIT PACKETS/DOCUMENTS AND CORRECTIONS.
PACKETS OR DOCUMENTS RECEIVED DIRECTLY FROM THE SOLDIER WILL BE RETURNED WITHOUT ACTION.
PACKETS REQUIRING CORRECTIONS NOT RECEIVED WITHIN 3 DAYS OF APPLICATION END PERIOD WILL BE
RETURNED WITHOUT ACTION.
4. ELIGIBILITY: OCS ATTENDANCE CRITERIA IS INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR
APPOINTMENT OF A COMMISSIONED OFFICER. COMPLETION OF OCS DOES NOT GUARANTEE ELIGIBILITY OF
A COMMISSION. SOLDIERS MUST MEET ALL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS OUTLINED IN CHAPTER 1, AR 350-51
AND AS LISTED BELOW AND SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS OUTLINED IN PARAGRAPH 6. RC SOLDIERS
MUST MEET ALL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS OUTLINED IN CHAPTER 2, AR 135-18 AND AS LISTED BELOW
AND SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS OUTLINED IN PARAGRAPH 6. PRIOR TO APPOINTMENT TO SECOND
LIEUTENANT REGULAR ARMY, COMMANDER OCS WILL VERIFY SOLDIER MEETS APPOINTMENT CRITERIA IAW
AR 601-100 AND AR 40-501 ON THE DATE OF APPOINTMENT. HRC WILL VERIFY THAT OC STUDENTS HAVE NOT
APPLIED FOR ANY OTHER SCHOOL THAT WOULD GRANT AN APPOINTMENT UPON GRADUATION. SOLDIERS
THAT HAVE APPLIED FOR OTHER SCHOOLS THAT WOULD GRANT A COMMISSION UPON GRADUATION MAY
NOT APPLY OR ATTEND OCS.
A. POSSESS A BACCALAUREATE DEGREE FROM AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY. SEE
PARAGRAPH 6J.
B. SECRET SECURITY CLEARANCE OR HIGHER. SEE PARAGRAPH 6L.
C. MUST BE A U.S. CITIZEN. SEE PARAGRAPH 6M.
D. APPLICATIONS MUST BE SCANNED TO HRC PRIOR TO THE SOLDIERS 28TH BIRTHDAY. RC PACKETS MUST
BE RECEIVED BY THE SOLDIERS 34TH BIRTHDAY.
E. MEET ARMY HEIGHT AND WEIGHT STANDARDS IAW AR 600-9.

Not trying to kill your dream, but you are a waiver and will be unable to go straight into trying out with the elite.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 165 | Registered: 09 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
If your interested in those hooah schools ask about 18X SF Candidate, if all else fails you'll be an 11 series with Airborne and a few other good experiences / schools pertinent to 11 career path.

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post