Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about MOS/Ranger school
 Login/Join

posted
If i were to enlist as a 68W combat medic could i continue after my training to go to ranger school? or do you have to go infantry to go to ranger school? if so, could i enlist as infantry then go to ranger school then later on change my MOS to 68W?

Posts: 5 | Location: glass of milk | Registered: 26 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You do not have to be infantry to volunteer for Ranger school. You can go to ranger school from any MOS, but it is harder to get with some MOS's.

You should know that in Ranger school your group must complete the course/school together. If one fails, you all fail. There was a Captain in my unit who went through the course four times before he got his ranger tab.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 27 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
so would the knowledge learned through the training you would receive through infantry give you an advantage in completing ranger school over another MOS such as 68W or will they teach you everything you need to know? I really want to become a ranger or be a part of an elite force but I also want to be a medic and i just want to know the best route to go.

Posts: 5 | Location: glass of milk | Registered: 26 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSGGunbunny
posted Hide Post
Yes, being in the infantry will better prepare you for Ranger school than any other MOS, other than 18 Series. Ranger school is nothing more than an intense infantry leadership school.
Depending on what types of units or assignments you get in other MOS's you may be exposed to the training that will prepare you for the school.

Posts: 267 | Location: I AM a Drill Sergeant.. | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I disagree that being infantry makes you better qualified for ranger school, I am a 31B, and we do all of the infantry training plus some, so I would say that we are as qualified for it as an 11B, but yes there is alot of marching with your equipment, so infantry and military police have an advantage because they do alot of that anyways.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
I disagree that Mp's do all we do plus some... either way though, if you want ranger chose a low density mos, like admin clerk... it makes your chances of actually making it to a ranger bn. even better, because there are lots of infantrymen in the army...not too many admin..

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bro you can enlist for a RIP contract and still be a medic. If you make it through RIP and make it to one of the battalions then you will learn the necessary skills you need to know and then learn them again at pre-ranger. If you need more info let me know.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 04 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Somebody help me! Im currently in the MOS 14H. I cant stand this unit, im all about hands on. This MOS isnt about that at all. I want to do more with my career and want to push myself to the limits! I feel like being an Army Ranger would put me to better use in the Army! Thanks in advanced for ANY advice you can offer!

Posts: 1 | Location: Ft. Sill, Ok | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of erikwithak86
posted Hide Post
Reenlist for RASP.

Posts: 707 | Registered: 18 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post