ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  Joining the Active (Regular) Army    Changing my MOS and retaking the asvab before I ship out.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing my MOS and retaking the asvab before I ship out.
 Login/Join

posted
I recently enlisted as a 92f Petroleum Supply Spec. Which I knew nothing about and had to choose it last minute at meps. From what I've heard and read it doesn't sound like something I want to do.

I wanted to be a combat medic, I was asked to take the ASVAB by my recruiter with only a days notice and I had told him I wanted to study for it. He said based of the pre test I would be able to get just about any job and that I would be able to get medic. I scored a 61 and he again told me that medic wouldn't be a problem. I didn't secure a job before I went to meps and basically got talked into signing for a 92f. I was 2 points under on the ST requirements for a medic.

Now I regret picking that job but I didn't want to leave meps without finalizing everything. I would be ok with not retaking the asvab and going into another field. Although retaking it and enlisting as a medic would be my first choice.

Is this something that is possible? Any input about anything I've said would be helpful

This is the next 4 years of my life and I want to make sure it's something that I want to do, or will benefit me on the outside.

-Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: 27 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FTR_Tweak
posted Hide Post
Retaking the test is not an option. Talk to the recruiter about other options, and this goes without saying but...talk in person.

AR 601-210 Chapter 5-8
h. Recruiters are not authorized to have applicants retested for the sole purpose of increasing aptitude area scores to
meet standards prescribed for enlistment options or programs.

And at this time there are no line point exceptions.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way

Posts: 85 | Location: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: 31 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
You dont qualify for 68W and you cannot re test. You should not ahve picked a job b/c someone talked to you, talk to the recruiter and let him know you would like to change jobs, but at this rate theey might afford to lose you somthey can just rop you all the same.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheTinMan
posted Hide Post
Get the reno submitted as soon as possible. If you do it now, there's a lower approval authority. The longer you wait, the farther up it has to go, and the less likely it will be approved.

It sucks, but the Regular Army is not granting any line point exceptions, while the Reserve can do 3 points for certain line scores (not cumulative - one for ST, one for CO, etc.)

Posts: 10 | Registered: 24 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FTR_Tweak
posted Hide Post
quote:
It sucks, but the Regular Army is not granting any line point exceptions, while the Reserve can do 3 points for certain line scores (not cumulative - one for ST, one for CO, etc.)

Just a numbers game now, but in the other direction. The USAREC gods only want a couple people a month instead of everyone.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way

Posts: 85 | Location: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: 31 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post