Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new
 Login/Join

posted
Just enlisted 13B ship out to basic in april.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
Don't wash out.

<Motivational Poster>

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Congrats- Basic training will be harder and more boring and easier than you can imagine.

Do what NCOs tell you, don't get upset at your battle buddies (many of them are Tards), and don't be afraid to speak up (respectfully) if you need to. Follow orders and life will be a breeze. Not. But it will be a lot easier than if you don't!

Also, do a little bit of running/ exercise every week to get ready. Read some health magazines and talk to your doctor about how to exercise SAFELY though! You DON'T want to burn out or injure yourself before you even get to basic training. Even if you walk a mile or two a couple times per week you'll be better off than the couch potatoes.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
Also, do a little bit of running/ exercise every week to get ready. Read some health magazines and talk to your doctor about how to exercise SAFELY though! You DON'T want to burn out or injure yourself before you even get to basic training. Even if you walk a mile or two a couple times per week you'll be better off than the couch potatoes.

philfau, this advice from Autobahn is right. Walking everyday will make you better off than a lot of couch potatoes. I didn't do anything before basic training and I was sucking at PT everyday. If I could go back and change anything, I would have made myself less lazy once I decided to join.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'd like to add that you try to be prepared mentally. Just realize that its a little over 2 months long and its not too hard. Looking back on when I was in Basic I thought it was hard until I could reflect on it and realized it was actually pretty fun.

Posts: 136 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: 07 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of precious williams
posted Hide Post
I am 20 hopeing to go to basic soon. My recruiter stated for me to practice push up's. when running i get winded easy any advice would rideing a bike help in any excersis training. iRead there is no excersis equipement in basic. i would love to start training physically and mentally how should i start other than what my recruiter told me.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 06 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You can ride a bike to pick up some cardio but ultimately you should be running or jogging. It will help you get in better shape than biking and it will get your body use to the physical demands of basic without jumping right into it. Do push ups and sit ups/crunches and just realize that you have to follow orders when you get there. Don't give the drill sergeants lip!

Best of luck!

Posts: 275 | Registered: 17 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thanx for the advise Eyesinthesky. Will do.

Picture of FIFTYCRUSHPLAN
posted Hide Post
As retarded as it sounds: just run you will get increasingly better and you will notice your lungs expanding, give it like a month and you will look back and realize how easy the progression is.

Get Some!

Posts: 562 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
alright thanx for the advise Fiftycrushplan

posted Hide Post
For you guys trying to get in shape I would reccomend the couch to 5k program. You can find it free if you google for it. It is designed for someone who has never ran and gets them into shape for a 5k in 9 weeks. It will give you a good injury free(if you follow the program as written) base to build on when you come in the Army. Also google one hundred push-ups and two hundred situps and follow the programs on those sites. They are what I use for my APFT preps and always max push-ups and sit-ups.

Posts: 75 | Registered: 30 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nremtp:
For you guys trying to get in shape I would reccomend the couch to 5k program. You can find it free if you google for it. It is designed for someone who has never ran and gets them into shape for a 5k in 9 weeks. It will give you a good injury free(if you follow the program as written) base to build on when you come in the Army. Also google one hundred push-ups and two hundred situps and follow the programs on those sites. They are what I use for my APFT preps and always max push-ups and sit-ups.

Sounds like too much work... Big Grin
(my highest score is 282= max run and situps)

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thanx for advice from all i will try my hardest to do as you recommended. i Just got to get myself out of my comfort zone. im pretty strong willed and determined so once i start i most likely will continue. thanx again for all the advice God bless

posted Hide Post
I have a question i could really use advice on. the question may sound dumb but it is a question i must ask.
I do not have my license i do have an ID should i go for my license before entering basic or should i wait until after. Confused Frowner

posted Hide Post
It would be easier to do it now, you won't have to worry about having time to do it once you're in and you may end up needing to get it in random state if you wait. That said it's not a requirement, it will just be easier on you.

Posts: 275 | Registered: 17 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post