ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  Joining the Active (Regular) Army    Looking to join the Army at 40 years old
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to join the Army at 40 years old
 Login/Join

Picture of Armymom09
posted Hide Post
No completely true about the barracks thing. If you claim your child(ren) you will get off post housing if you have any sort of custody. Since you have a degree you might want to think about going OCS (Officer).
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
quote:
Originally posted by bob1969:
If anyone can advise me to what I will face on base if I do go for it, how will this effect my life as a long distant parent, and what is the closest I can get to being stationed near Maine as an MP as this would be the field I want.

-Ft Drum in NY might be the closest you could manage.
-You might check into getting custody during the summer and/or Christmas or whatever.
-Until you get promoted (to Sergeant or more: at least 2yrs or so..) you'd be stuck living in Barracks, which wouldn't allow you to keep your child overnight.
-You WOULD get 30days paid vacation per year, you could fly back to Maine for a few weeks.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 08 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've been wishing I had joined for years. However I was told by recruiters that they will not enlist over something like 28 or 34 (don't remember the exact age).

If that's not the truth, how does one go about enlisting at the age of 40 of the recruiters tell you you're too old???

Posts: 1 | Registered: 15 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
Way to revive an old post, lol. To answer the question I believe the max age to enlist is 42. I know they give enlistees in their 40's some additional medical screening but if you're healthy, you should be able to join. If the recruiters tell you that you are too old to join, ask to speak with the station commander and have him/her show proof in writing.

Posts: 580 | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I met a guy who was 40 and enlisted...he told me that the DI's left him alone as long as he put in effort. Being even 5 years older than your average gaggle of children that go to basic makes you just that much more mature and able to follow orders. If you have the mental drive to do something like this, the physical will fall into place. I haven't gone yet, but I am 25 and I will most likely be the oldest. I know what it is I need to do and the goals I have and what I want to achieve. I am not going to let anything stop me and I will do whatever it takes. Good luck to you! If you do wind up doing this, you could very easily get your bachelors and go the officer route. Keep your mind open to that, if you think it's for you.

EDIT: just realized how old this post is. hope you got in!

Posts: 44 | Registered: 28 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you havent joined allready...good luck! The army is downsizing and the max age to enlist...which was raised and waiverable...has been lowered. Not to mention there are regs on single parents joining up...family care plan, and other considerations.

Here is the truth, the Army wants young, trainable, single recruits. Being a private is hard...since you have an AAS you get bumped to e-3/pfc..but even so, the Army wants soldiers not set in their ways who they can tear down...then build back up. Its easier for the army and less costly, to train younger recruits than older. A Soldiers life is a hard life, in the Stan, you will be ground pounding up hills with 50-60 pounds of gear for miles. It is very tough on the body and scores of young healthy soldiers get hurt with life long injuries...especially in their necks and spines.

You want to be close to where your daughter is...good luck...you are needs of the Army, and you will go where ever they send you. If you want to be a MP, you will deploy to a combat zone before you stabalize. You might be able to get a post of choice in your enlistment contract, so ask...but i doubt it.

Is it possible...of course...can you do it...i dunno..consider that MP's have a 5 year contract, and retirement at 20 years. If you are a one termer...is it wise to be 45 and getting out to start a new career.

good luck!

PS: every soldier I have come across that was at ft drum...hated it!!! COLD COLD freezing miserable cold

Posts: 10 | Registered: 26 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Don't forget that there is Nat Guard too! They don't deploy nearly as often as active duty and you pretty much stay in one place.

Posts: 44 | Registered: 28 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post