Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is Army life like?
 Login/Join

posted
I am a 21 year old guy, out of work, nothing in store for myself right now, thought about the military in the past and now I want to make the move. A lot of friends have joined various branches, but I think the Army is for me, I am vying for a tech job, but ill take whatever honestly, just need to get my head out there.

I am in good shape, 6'0 - 190lbs. Motivated and determined to go somewhere and better my life.

My questions are; How is life like after signing up, training and all of that?When you actually get stationed and stuff? What do you do on base??? is it a good brotherhood? Please give as many details as possible, i will need them!

Posts: 1 | Location: NYC | Registered: 06 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shewtor McGavin
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for adventure, paid education, steady income, free healthcare, and skills you can't acquire anywhere else then this is the best way to achieve your goals.

Question is: are you qualified? Talk to you local Army recruiter!! www.goarmy.com

Sequence #229

Posts: 283 | Registered: 26 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MI_SilentWarrior:
If you are looking for adventure, paid education, steady income, free healthcare, and skills you can't acquire anywhere else then this is the best way to achieve your goals.

Question is: are you qualified? Talk to you local Army recruiter!! www.goarmy.com
Did you copy/paste that from a recruiting ad?

Posts: 257 | Location: Ft Sam Houston | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well what he said is true, but its sure leaving out a lot of stuff. Both good and bad. lol

Posts: 532 | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35PSGT:
quote:

Did you copy/paste that from a recruiting ad?

I think that guy is actually a recruiter. He probably cut and pasted from one of his e-mails.

Posts: 363 | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shewtor McGavin
posted Hide Post
I am a recruiter, but a 35F by trade. I didn't copy and paste it from anywhere.

Sequence #229

Posts: 283 | Registered: 26 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Check out my blog if you're interested in the 'truth'. I do my best to answer all the questions you might have.

Do you want to know what Army Basic Training and Army Life is "really" like?

http://whatisbootcamplike.com

Posts: 72 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
for adventure, paid education, steady income, free healthcare, and skills

Not only for the above condition people tend to join the Army but for the love of country people join it.

Posts: 1 | Location: Newport Beach | Registered: 01 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by businessphones:
quote:
for adventure, paid education, steady income, free healthcare, and skills

Not only for the above condition people tend to join the Army but for the love of country people join it.

And people have passion for protecting their country from outsiders. It is quite a risky job!

Posts: 1 | Location: 953 E Front St, Plainfield, NJ 07062 | Registered: 01 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyVet11c:
Check out my blog if you're interested in the 'truth'. I do my best to answer all the questions you might have.

This guy is a disillusioned ex-army guy trying to make money off his book. Not much better than the SPAMMERS below him.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey there Oleary,

Check these websites out below to get an idea as to what you want to do. Then began looking on networking sites such as this one to see what the actual people that work in a particular MOS (job) have to say. There are a lot of creditable resources online and at your local library that you can read up on for FREE. Only you know what your interests are. Each MOS attends a different school(AIT). This contract is very serious for it is your life your making a commitment with. So do your homework your worth it. And the Army def has it's up and downs, but the benefits are great. Basic training for myself at an "older" age in 08' was more of a physical challenge, but your young and in shape it sounds, so no problem there. Now for Intel your score and your background (for security clearances) need to be up to par. Your recruiter may be able to give you a test to see where your strengths/weakness are(ASVAB) conduct a background check (which is not extensive) to get an idea where you stand. And where you can end up stationed at is really vague. At one point I was given the option of listing 5 or so (don't really remember how many plus things change) different bases as a wish list. I ended up with my 3rd choice. Check out the websites for different bases and see if they have open forums for you to chat with soldiers stationed there for a better idea about the base. Good luck.

http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs.html
http://www.us-army-info.com/pages/branches.html

Posts: 11 | Location: FORT HOOD | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Autobahn,

I seen that and I felt I should actually give the young man somewhere to start, I have 2(twins) 22 yr old young men...and I wouldn't want someone giving them some BS.

Posts: 11 | Location: FORT HOOD | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of insertarmysaying
posted Hide Post
Where did all these spammers come from? I knew the 11CVET bullshitter was on here....seems more have appeared.

Posts: 155 | Registered: 03 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. To join army, you need to be well organized and disciplined. But the foremost requirement is the qualification.

Posts: 1 | Location: 3 Wilton Way, Sicklerville, NJ 08081 | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post