Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worried that I'm getting played
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Also they can only make MOS reservations up to 1 year out active duty side, besides split option.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
already trained for...as in that's what your going to college for? If you're getting your degree in it you can use ACASP, unless it no longer exists,I used it a few years ago.

You can skip AIT and go to your first duty station from basic training and just go through a checklist with your first NCO to get a MOS certification from the schoolhouse. When I walked out of MEPS I had where I was going to basic with my follow on assignment.

Posts: 9 | Location: California | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You have to have the training and on the job time as well correct?

posted Hide Post
I keep hearing people say "you pick your MOS at MEPS." Is that the same everywhere? If so why am I going back and forth with my recruiter on finding an MOS for me that I want? Shouldnt I just go directly to MEPS and talk to him? Am I working with the middle man and will have to go to wholesaler in the end anyway?

Posts: 12 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 13 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Spicer, I am not a recruiter I am sure there is something they can do to make sure that you can get the job you want. However when I went to the recruiter I gave him a list of jobs I wanted but he was up front with me and told me to take it to the Career Counselor at meps....However I was in a different situation.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 94W
posted Hide Post
if you are a hgh school sr, grad or in college you can pick your job with your recruiter. he uses a live system called fsr2 to help you look for the jobs that are available and which you qualify for based off of your EST or ASVAB score. a job like vet tech is hard to come by these days. playing hardball with meps just makes it harder for you in the future. if you dont pull a job with a recruiter you need to have an idea of what you want to do when you go to meps. also the only way they can do split op is if you are a Jr in HS or in college and thats thru reserves only.

Posts: 7 | Location: Fort Gordon, Ga | Registered: 14 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
They are talking about ACASP look it up and school yourself. You are obviously new to the Recruiting thing.

Picture of 94W
posted Hide Post
Yes Corvette they are talking about that but I was replying to the intial posting. But hey thanks for reading my reply.

Posts: 7 | Location: Fort Gordon, Ga | Registered: 14 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG Schwartz
posted Hide Post
My suggestion to the OP is that you make a reservation with the Recruiter before you go to the MEPS. The guidance counselor there at the MEPS generally has the same job options open to you that the Recruiter does. The only difference is that when the GC calls to check job availability, he gets bumped to the front of the line over the phone. The GC can also check to see if you have the line scores for the job you want. The Recruiter can also do this, but it does take a little research on his part. Some will send you to MEPS and let the GC check for you, some will do it on their own.

No disrespect, but our job is to get you into the Army and to match you with a job that is available and you qualify for.

Also, I would check with your Recruiter or his Station Commander about how well the hard sell bit will work. I know a MEPS that I use will tell you to call your Recruiter if you don't want to pick an available job. This MEPS is busy enough and there are enough people ready to join, that they don't have the time to spare on someone who is job shopping.

If NCO's did their job, I wouldn't have mine.

Posts: 232 | Location: FT Leavenworth | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In my personal opinion, if you can't get exactly what you want, don't join.

It's your life not the Governments. . . Yet at least.

Do you want to know what Army Basic Training and Army Life is "really" like?

http://whatisbootcamplike.com

Posts: 71 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
"In my personal opinion, if you can't get exactly what you want, don't join."

Yea...because that is exactly what the Army wants filling it ranks right? Look the Army does not need to cater to anyone right now.If you do not want to join,then do not join.There are many jobs in the Army that you can probably do and you have never even thought about doing them. Vet Tech is a very obscure job in the Army,I have never seen it on FSR2S so ACASP or not, good luck getting it. Seriously think of another carrer path in the Army.I mean whats the real reason you want to join the Army?

Posts: 11 | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post