New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Truth about 68V?
 Login/Join

Picture of CRT
posted Hide Post
Wow I did not know that, I finished the school house in 09, and with that and being CRT, can I to sit for the RRT without waiting the 2 years, or having my BAS. If so, that is great news, I am currently scheduled to attend the CCATT course at WPAFB, Oh and would to do the RRT after that.

AWESOME NEWS!

Posts: 30 | Location: Heidelberg, Germany | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry but you graduated from the entry-level course. That course no longer exists. Only students that graduate from the advanced level program are eligible to take the RRT immediately upon graduation (provided they passed the CRT first). Sorry to burst your bubble. Don't give up, though. Time flies and before you know it, you'll be eligible. So far, every one of our graduates that have become eligible for the RRT have passed it. And they were in the same entry-level course as you!

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Sam Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT Harris
posted Hide Post
Good morning Mr. Lopez, it's good to have a representative from the program on the site. I'm currently an AD Medic and am looking to reclass to 68V. If I have all of the college prerequisites in addition to my being a Medic would I be eligible to be on the 32 week program that the Navy students participate in?

Pro cura militis et eis qui militem curent

Posts: 36 | Location: Fort Belvoir, VA | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
Hi PVT Harris,

I'm glad that I can be of some help to soldiers and sailors out there trying to find accurate and reliable information about our program.

Although I know that it makes absolute sense for Army students who are medics and have all the general education requirements to come in with the Navy, we don't have it set-up that way yet. Believe me, it's been a battle just trying to get where we are so far. If you've been in the military for a day or two, you will understand.

My recommendation to you is this: if you really want this MOS, apply now so you can get in as soon as possible. The gen ed classes will be a review for you and the general medical classes will reinforce your medical knowledge. Our classes have more of a college feel to them and the topics are very different than those you had going through 68W school.

Perhaps we'll have an avenue for applicants like you in the future, but for now we have to work with what we've got.

Thanks for the question. I know others will benefit from it.

OLM

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Sam Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just have a couple questions about the program. Do you have to be Spc(p) or can you get a waiver to go without the p status? Also would I pcs to do the program and bring my family with me or would they stay at my current duty station?

Posts: 1 | Location: Fort Hood | Registered: 25 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
c.garrett2,

Of all of the requirements to get accepted into the program, this one is low on the list of importance and I wouldn't let it stop you from applying. However, not having the promotable status will certainly put you at a disadvantage when there are more applicants than available seats. Applicants who meet ALL requirements will be given preference.

If you meet eligibility to go before the promotion board, I encourage you to do so. It looks like there will be quite a wait before a seat is available in the program.

Good luck.
Oscar Lopez-Martinez MAEd, RRT, CPFT
Director of Clinical Education
Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program Medical Education & Training Campus
Fort Sam Houston, TX
oscar.lopez-martinez.civ@mail.mil
Office: (210) 808-3781
Fax: (210) 808-3771

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
I forgot the other part of the question: Yes, this is a PCS move. The program is 44 weeks long and you will be required to PCS from your current duty station. Some students bring their families and find apartments wherever they can. Housing on base is limited and I don't know what the waiting list is like. That is something you can find out through your Housing Office. Other students elect to leave their families where they are or maybe with other family. Some spouses don't want to leave a job or take the kids out of school just to have to do it again in 44 weeks. That decision is totally up to the student. Keep in mind that the program is very challenging and requires sacrifice from the student and the family members. The rewards, though, are worth it.

OLM

posted Hide Post
Mr. Lopez

I am a RRT and looking into finding a position in the Army. I'm currently in the Reserves with prior service of 4 years. Is there any way I can transfer over from my current MOS (92M Mortuary Affairs) to 68V?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
LZ RRT,

As an RRT, you will not be required to go through the program and should have the MOS awarded to you. I have seen it done before.I'm not an expert in this area but I'm guessing that the only barrier to getting the MOS is if it is in the overstrength category. I would talk to a recruiter or career counselor to get the ball rolling. I'm assuming you're talking about active duty. If you want to stay in the Reserves, you can talk to them about finding you a reserve 68V slot.

Best of luck!

OLM

posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Lopez. Once I find out more information, I'll post it up for future soldiers that have a situation like mine.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mr. Lopez,
I'm looking to re class for the fiscal year 2015 with the class starting OCT 3 2014 is there any openings for this time frame that you may know of? I meet all the pre requisites and will be working with a career counselor next month as my DEROS is preventing me from applying now. Thank you for your response

Michael

Posts: 5 | Location: Wheeler Army Airfield | Registered: 30 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
Michael,

You are doing the right thing by working with your CC. We do not control the slots for the program. That is all done by HR. All we do is provide the requirements for admission.
Go to our official website (www.metc.mil/academics/irtp) for more information. Make sure you send an official copy of your transcripts to the Thomas Edison State College address under the "policies" tab.If TESC blesses off on your ENG Comp I and Humanities, you'll be a step ahead.

Good luck.

Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program
Medical Education & Training Campus
Fort Sam Houston, TX

posted Hide Post
Got it thanks
That's good advice and a quick response.
With the slot being so far out i'm confident i'll be able to get one. "It looks like quite a wait before a seat is available in the program" from a the post in 2012 from someone who works at the school house had me questioning if i'd get a slot.
This is the best transitional opportunity I've seen in the military. With the current in and out calls this is a shortage MOS.
Thanks for the help see you soon!

Michael

Posts: 5 | Location: Wheeler Army Airfield | Registered: 30 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mr. Lopez,
Quick question i'm sure you can help. I've ordered my transcripts and my Humanities class is SPAN100. Also my English is ENG101. I was reading the pre-requisites and at this site http://www.soc.aascu.org/pubfi...r/DegPln_68V_AAS.pdf from Thomas Edison State College they state they do not accept "SPEECH" classes as a Humanities elective. Does this mean SPAN100. Also on the ATTRS website they say ENG101 must be evaluated to ensure they meet the pre-requisite. I know I need to send my transcript to Thomas Edison in reference to this program but i'm waiting on it in the mail. Do you think that the courses i've completed will qualify me for entrance into the program? Thanks i'm just ready to submit my packet and get out of my current MOS. I've also reviewed the degree program and it is very informative thanks for the response.

Michael

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Your questions can only be answered by Thomas Edison State College. The degree is awarded through them and they have to make sure that the courses you bring from other colleges meet their standards. Otherwise, their accreditation is jeopardized.
I recommend that you wait until the transcripts are evaluated (the preferred way is to have your college send the transcripts directly to the TESC address that is on the link you attached in your message...the one that has Mr. Louis Martini's name on it). If you need to take another course to meet the pre-requisite, then take the course. There really is no other option.

Good luck.

Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program
Medical Education & Training Campus
Fort Sam Houston, TX