New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Truth about 68V?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Mr. Lopez-Martinez,

First, I'd like to thank you for providing good input on this course. I am very excited about trying to get in, and hopefully the HRC Gods are in a good mood.

Sent you an email a few minutes ago to your .mail.mil address (didn't realize you still were staying up-to-date on this post, but thanks for doing so!). It looks like all my questions were answered though. Now I just have to knock out some of those Thomas Edison courses and I'll be golden. With my GT/ST score requirement met as well I should be competitive for a slot in the coming years!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
Everyone,

There has been a change in the educational pre-requisites for the Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program (68V). Thomas Edison State College will now accept a general education course in lieu of the Humanities course.

Examples are:

Humanities
Art
Communications
Dance
Film
Foreign Language
Journalism
Literature
Music
Philosophy
Photography
Radio & Television
Religion
Speech
Theater Arts
Writing (advanced)

Social Sciences
Anthropology
Archaeology
Cultural Geography
Economics
History
Labor Studies
Political Science
Psychology
Sociology

Natural Science / Mathematics
Astronomy
Biology
Chemistry
Computer Sciences* * not to include Data Processing or Computer Literacy
Environmental Science
Geology
Mathematics
Meteorology
Oceanography
Physical Geology
Physics

English Comp I with a "C" or better from a regionally accredited college is still required.

Any questions, please ask.

Oscar Lopez-Martinez MAEd, RRT, CPFT
Director of Clinical Education
Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program
Medical Education & Training Campus
Fort Sam Houston, TX
oscar.lopez-martinez.civ@mail.mil
Office: (210) 808-3781
Fax: (210) 808-3771

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Sam Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the update Mr. Lopez. I am very interested in reclassing as a 68v, and was worried about the college courses. I have taken biology, so I guess an English class is something I should be focusing on.

I am deployed right now, an 11b E-5, and have sustained an injury that has landed me on admin duties for the remainder of our tour. When I get back I have to go through the mar2 and will be forced to reclass due to having a PULHES score of 2 on my lower body. Hopefully I can work with my career counselor to get into this field, but he isn't the most driven person I know to say the least.

If you have any information or links pertaining to my situation I would appreciate anything.

Thanks again.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 18 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
More information can be found on our official website:

www.metc.mil/academics/irtp

You can also visit the ATRRS website:
https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/course.aspx

Look for schools number 083 and 830, Medical Education Training Campus (METC) and Brook Army Medical Center (BAMC), Ft Sam Houston. Those are phase I and II of our course. You can view school dates and the pre-requisites. Remember that the Humanities pre-requisite has changed as mentioned in my previous message.

Fort Sam Houston, TX

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Sam Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for the quick reply and the helpful links.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 18 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mr. Lopez
Just updating the board and have one more question. I'm glad to announce I've been slotted for the Jan 30 2015 class at Ft. Sam Houston. I've began to take anatomy and physiology to prepare. Also have been referenced to Egans. Ed 10
What other things could be helpful in preparing for this course?

Michael

Posts: 5 | Location: Wheeler Army Airfield | Registered: 30 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Congratulations on getting a seat in our program.Taking the A&P course will be very useful. There are a couple of recommendations I can make to help you get prepared.
1) Go to your nearest hospital and speak with the Director/NCOIC of the Respiratory Therapy department. Let them know what you're doing and ask if you can follow an RT for a few hours to see what they do. Preferably someone who has graduated recently from our program (it has changed a lot in the lat 4 years). Check out the equipment they use, medicines, etc.
2) Go on Youtube and look up respiratory diseases (asthma, emphysema, chronic obstructive lung disease, pneumonia, pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis, etc.) and learn as much as you can about them. There are many excellent instructional videos/channels available.
3) Unless you find a good copy of 10th edition Egan's at a bargain price, I don't recommend you buy one. They are pricey (about $110 on Amazon) and we provide it for you when you get here (borrowed-we have to take it back when you finish...it's a budget thing). You may wind up buying one later on if you are the kind of student who highlights a lot and makes notes on the textbooks (can't do that to our books...sorry). In my opinion, it's not really practical to start reading through it this far away from your start date. Egan's is a difficult book to read (not saying you can't understand it...it just assumes you know certain information and builds from there).
4) Take care of any personal issues that you may have so that you won't have distractors competing for your attention. This program is intense, challenging, and very fast paced. You need to have all your attention focused on it.

That pretty much sums it up.

Best of luck and will see you when you get here.

Fort Sam Houston, TX

posted Hide Post
This is for Oscar Lopez
Well or anyone inside this mos!

Hello I am wondering about this mos. I read that you can receive an associates degree from this mos. My concern is, how will that work if I already have a bachelors degree or have taken those general studies classes already? Will I still have to take the English, Math, Humanities?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 13 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey Mr. Lopez,

I E-mailed you several times back in November asking about the 68V schooling and what all went into it. I got approved last week for the 30 JAN 2015 class! I had read somewhere (can't remember where exactly) that Phase II was completed at a seperate location other than Ft. Sam Houston. Is this true? My ATTRS course reservation says Phase II will completed at Ft. Sam Houston so I was just curious.

Thank You

Parker

Posts: 1 | Registered: 14 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
apfrutig,

Phase II training is conducted at San Antonio Military Medical Center (aka Brooke Army Medical Center) which is adjacent to Ft Sam Houston.In addition, students will train in other civilian hospitals in the city in order to expand their clinical experience.

Oscar Lopez-Martinez, MAEd, RRT, CPFT
Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program Medical Education & Training Campus
Fort Sam Houston, TX

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
Neena,

I applaud you for having the initiative and motivation to get your degree.

Something that is often misunderstood about respiratory therapy programs (military and civilian) is that they must be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC). Without this accreditation, graduates will not be able to practice because they will be unable to take the certification exam and, without credentials, licenses will not awarded by the states. One of the requirements for accreditation by CoARC is that the program must award at a minimum an associates degree in respiratory therapy. No other degree is acceptable.

I have listed the requirments for admission on an earlier post (dated September 13, 2013). Army students will take English Comp II, College Math, and Intro to Psychology when they arrive here. Even if you've had them before, you will still take them. Although it may sound like a waste of time to some, I have seen firsthand how beneficial the first 8 weeks of college courses have been to the students. Study skills and habits are developed and honed, and students begin to understand the seriousness with which we, and eventually they, take this program.

If you're up for a challenge and want to learn a health care profession that is always in demand, I invite you to apply through your Career Counselor.

Best of luck,
Oscar Lopez-Martinez, MAEd, RRT, CPFT
Fort Sam Houston, TX

posted Hide Post
Hi I am changing over to 68V may i have some helpful advice to prepare for school.. my report date is in September

Posts: 3 | Location: ft stewart | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
bobbysmith22,

Look at the post I submitted on 19 November 2013. It tells you everything I think you should do between now and the time you show up for class.

Good luck.

Fort Sam Houston, TX

posted Hide Post
hey all, I am prepping to go to the school here in may and I have just recently heard some odd things about the way that they are treating nco's and other prior service soldiers there on Ft. Sam Houston. Basically treating them like IET soldiers. I am an E5 and just curious if any of these things are true in the 68v class. Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 20 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You can live off post if you are married, but PS will be treated very similiar to IET.

It won't be as bad as your 1st MOS, you will see what I mean when you get there. Things like drinking alcohol in your off time will be off limits, but you will be able to drive.

All in all it is worth the headache.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post