New
Find
Notify
Tools

checking account
 Login/Join

Picture of Hicks 01
posted
Do i need to have a checking account before i ship to basic training? my brother joined the marines 4 years ago, and he was able to set up a checking account with the marine corps. Does the Army offer the same thing? or should i try to get one before i ship?

Jared

Posts: 8 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You'll need to open a bank account prior to shipping. Your recruiter should have that information for you.

Posts: 49 | Registered: 24 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of atp
posted Hide Post
It's not the Marine Corps offers and the Army doesn't. Department of Defense does not issues paper checks to Soldiers anymore, unless under extreme cases.

You should have a bank account before you ship with the bank of your choice. Otherwise, they will make you sign up with a bank at your Training Base during in-processing. You may or may not like that bank.

Posts: 175 | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Also, if you set up an account before you go, you will already have for debit card etc.

Posts: 531 | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hicks 01
posted Hide Post
i'm doing 91d as my job

Jared

Posts: 8 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
Hicks, if your inexperienced with bank accounts I suggest you go to USAA.com and sign up for a checking account with them, they are Military and Newbie friendly.

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You will need a checking account before you ship to basic training, however this will all be taking care of by your recruiter or the recruiting office Futuer soldier team leader... in some office they have deals with local banks were you are able to get a checking account for free without having any money in the bank.

SFC T

Posts: 161 | Registered: 21 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post