Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transfer from Reserve to Active?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to this forum and I am looking for some helpful information on my situation. I am 29 years old going on 30 and I want to join the Army and attend OCS. Unfortunately, my age restricts me from attending OCS via the Active Army. However, I still qualify to attend OCS via the Army Reserves (the age limit for OCS for reserves is 35 yrs old).

What I would like to know is if a person (if selected) could enter the Army Reserves, attend OCS, serve the initial contract, and then transfer from Reserves to Active as an officer (kind of a backdoor to the Active OCS age limitation). So is this possible? If so, is it difficult?

As a brief background to myself, I am 29 yrs old, I have a Master's degree with concentrations on security policy and intelligence and I speak beginner/intermediate Arabic. I could go and apply to Air Force OTS, but I have a great desire to use my skills in service to the Army.

Thanks,

Silas

Posts: 4 | Registered: 17 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sounds possible, and difficult.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SFC RossiJ
posted Hide Post
Requirements
To attend Officer Candidate School, you must be U.S. citizen and a college graduate, be at least 18 years of age at the time of regular Army enlistment and entered active duty or ship to training on or before your 29th birthday. Army Reserve, be at least 18 years of age at the time of enlistment and entered active duty or ship to training before your 35th birthday. (Age waivers will be granted for meritorious cases only.) High school seniors may also apply. this is from http://www.goarmy.com/ocs.html

The next link lowers the age to 28 for AC and outlines ALL the requirements to attend OCS regardless of component. http://www.benning.army.mil/in...DF/MILPER_11-317.pdf

I think you need to go see an Army Recruiter and request an age waiver. You're not that far over the age and your degree and language qualifications are in pretty high demand. The RC route may be a bridge too far and you may find yourself in the same situation but as a 34 y/o in the reserves trying to go to OCS.

Push for the Active Duty route with a waiver.

As an alternative, I would suggest enlisting for a 35 Series MOS (INTEL) and transfering into the Warrant Officer branches for INTEL. They are in EXTREMELY HIGH demand. With your degree you will be able to enlist as an E4 and should make E5 in your first enlistment and can branch over as a SGT. I think the age requirement for INTEL Warrants is like 47.

Here is a link to the MOS to Warrant conversion page. http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/...geninfo_enlmos.shtml

I think you'll find that a career in the Warrant Officer community will be MUCH more rewarding and you will acctualy DO YOUR JOB as opposed to becoming a Commander/staff officer later in your career.

Good Luck!!!

Posts: 275 | Location: Djibouti | Registered: 17 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
rossij07,

Thank you for your reply, it really got me excited because it was seeming that the only options left were trying to get a waiver for my age or only enlistment. I had not even considered the Warrant Officer route.

I did a little research and the warrant officer route seems to be a better fit for me (I want to be a do-er and not just a manager). However, I saw some people say that in order to qualify as a Warrant Officer you must begin Warrant Officer training by your 32nd birthday. I would be 34 years old before I began Warrant Officer training (based upon the requirements for transferring from a 35M to a 351M).

So can anyone confirm or deny that an individual cannot be older than 32 years of age in order to become a Warrant Officer?

quote:
Originally posted by rossij07:
Requirements
To attend Officer Candidate School, you must be U.S. citizen and a college graduate, be at least 18 years of age at the time of regular Army enlistment and entered active duty or ship to training on or before your 29th birthday. Army Reserve, be at least 18 years of age at the time of enlistment and entered active duty or ship to training before your 35th birthday. (Age waivers will be granted for meritorious cases only.) High school seniors may also apply. this is from http://www.goarmy.com/ocs.html

The next link lowers the age to 28 for AC and outlines ALL the requirements to attend OCS regardless of component. http://www.benning.army.mil/in...DF/MILPER_11-317.pdf

I think you need to go see an Army Recruiter and request an age waiver. You're not that far over the age and your degree and language qualifications are in pretty high demand. The RC route may be a bridge too far and you may find yourself in the same situation but as a 34 y/o in the reserves trying to go to OCS.

Push for the Active Duty route with a waiver.

As an alternative, I would suggest enlisting for a 35 Series MOS (INTEL) and transfering into the Warrant Officer branches for INTEL. They are in EXTREMELY HIGH demand. With your degree you will be able to enlist as an E4 and should make E5 in your first enlistment and can branch over as a SGT. I think the age requirement for INTEL Warrants is like 47.

Here is a link to the MOS to Warrant conversion page. http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/...geninfo_enlmos.shtml

I think you'll find that a career in the Warrant Officer community will be MUCH more rewarding and you will acctualy DO YOUR JOB as opposed to becoming a Commander/staff officer later in your career.

Good Luck!!!

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Waivers are "possible" but not always approved. Especially if there are other candidates. I wouldn't bet on it.

It can take years to get the experience needed to be a technical Warrant Officer- I applied with 6yrs experience in 2006 and was rejected as "not qualified"- so my application didn't even go to the selection board to compete.

In 2009 however, I applied again and was accepted.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you for yor input. Are you aware of any age limitations?

quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
Waivers are "possible" but not always approved. Especially if there are other candidates. I wouldn't bet on it.

It can take years to get the experience needed to be a technical Warrant Officer- I applied with 6yrs experience in 2006 and was rejected as "not qualified"- so my application didn't even go to the selection board to compete.

In 2009 however, I applied again and was accepted.

Picture of SFC RossiJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a brief background to myself, I am 29 yrs old, I have a Master's degree with concentrations on security policy and intelligence and I speak beginner/intermediate Arabic. I could go and apply to Air Force OTS, but I have a great desire to use my skills in service to the Army.

"___ Age waiver request - if required (max age is 33 for aviators, 46 for all others)" You don't need an age waiver for Intel, those people are talking about Aviation. This came off the WO homepage.

I will assume that since you have a Masters in security policy and intel you are operating in this field in your civilian job and have some level of experience. Though your civilian qualifications and education are not a lock to getting selected they certainly aren't going to hurt you. Coupled with the experience you will gain during your enlistment it may be enough to earn a slot at WOCS. Just be sure you select the most similar MOS to your current level of skill and experience. Most of the Warrant branches require you to have a min. of 4 years experience in your feeder MOS and be an E5. You can also try and get a prerequisite waiver. Here's a link to the application checklist, http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/...klist%20Oct%2012.pdf.

Additionaly, ALL branches are different in how and who they select for WOCS. I don't know what AutoBahn's history is but I think he is Signal (based on his avatar). Signal branch is going to select candidates differently than Intel so I'd say it's worth a shot.

Posts: 275 | Location: Djibouti | Registered: 17 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
To become a Warrant Officer, it is extremely competitive and harder than the commissioned route. There are exactly no guarantees that you will get selected and you will need to reflect the total soldier concept. Meaning; leading soldiers, never failing PT/weight, deployments, education, solid experience from well-rounded assignments. I have soldiers approaching me daily on becoming a technical warrant officer and once I hear about the experiences, NCOER issues and issues overall; they will not compete. But as a CW4 once said; "once you have WO in your front sights, go for it and let proponent or the board disqualify you".

My recommendation is to shoot for OCS first and possibly WOCS later on.

Finally, due to the drawdown, it will be extremely hard to transfer from a reserve component to the active component from now to 2017 but it is not impossible. The stars will have to align and the availability of certain MOS openings.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
rossij07 and TheWiseChief,

Actually I have no experience in the civilian side of intel or security policy. Due to budget cuts and a glut of individuals with intel experience needing jobs, it has been difficult to find work in this field. For example, I passed phase 1 of the FBI's intel analyst hiring process only to be rolled over to FY 2013 due to lack of hiring and told I'll have to wait until 1 October 2013 to hear if hiring will resume or if I'll have to reapply for a new vacancy. Then there are many jobs in the private security sector, but they want you to have top secret security clearance and/or 3-5 years of experience for entry level positions.

I was hoping that by serving in the military in an intel MOS I could gain experience that would help me with a career after I resign from military duty. [Note: this is in addition to my desire to serve my country. I've been interested in serving for many years, but I did not know if I was cut out for it. At this time in my life I want to try and become what it takes to be a soldier to benefit myself, my family, and my country].

Because I have waited so long to make this decision to seriously pursue military service, my options are limited regarding attending OCS. As I said earlier, I would prefer to serve in the Army as there are many more HUMINT opportunities. However, it is seems like my only options with the Army are to enlist in an intel MOS or enlist in an intel MOS and try to make WO.

I am open to applying to Air Force OTS and I may have some edge in getting accepted even though the AF is very competative right now(in grad school I had courses with three AF Lt. Colonels - two who still teach at the AF Academy - and so I could get good letters of recommendation). The two big problems with this route is that a) there are not many HUMINT opportunities in the AF and b) as an officer you are assigned based on need, so I may make officer but get assigned to a different field than intel.

At this point I'm trying to decide what to do with my life. Because, as TheWiseChief said, the reserve to active option is very difficult due to the drawdown my two options are: 1) Army enlistment and try to make WO or 2) Apply to AIr Force OTS and try to make officer (and pray I get an intel MOS).

quote:
Originally posted by rossij07:
quote:

"___ Age waiver request - if required (max age is 33 for aviators, 46 for all others)" You don't need an age waiver for Intel, those people are talking about Aviation. This came off the WO homepage.

I will assume that since you have a Masters in security policy and intel you are operating in this field in your civilian job and have some level of experience. Though your civilian qualifications and education are not a lock to getting selected they certainly aren't going to hurt you. Coupled with the experience you will gain during your enlistment it may be enough to earn a slot at WOCS. Just be sure you select the most similar MOS to your current level of skill and experience. Most of the Warrant branches require you to have a min. of 4 years experience in your feeder MOS and be an E5. You can also try and get a prerequisite waiver. Here's a link to the application checklist, http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/...klist%20Oct%2012.pdf.

Additionaly, ALL branches are different in how and who they select for WOCS. I don't know what AutoBahn's history is but I think he is Signal (based on his avatar). Signal branch is going to select candidates differently than Intel so I'd say it's worth a shot.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
If your mind is set on Intel; then enlist for Intel (active or reserve). You get your TS clearance and will start gaining experience.

Picture of SFC RossiJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
If your mind is set on Intel; then enlist for Intel (active or reserve). You get your TS clearance and will start gaining experience.

Agreed.

posted Hide Post
If you use mobcop to pick a deployment, will it be easier to go active? Do they give you an option to stay active and what are done places you can go (is it all afghan?)?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 23 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
That option to go transfer to active while deployed has long been ended.

Picture of Hellz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spccorrea:
If you use mobcop to pick a deployment, will it be easier to go active? Do they give you an option to stay active and what are done places you can go (is it all afghan?)?

ok let me make this simple.

MobCop is all temporary assignments. most of them are 1 year long, but some you can extend longer. none of these are a guaranteed assignments as some of them are posted just for a specific Soldier, or MOS, or Rank.(meaning SGT Snuffy is perfect for the job, post it so he can apply.. or we need a MOS-Q 25B to fill this slot, or simply an E6 for this)

the assignments are mostly in the US, but they also list for OCONUS as well. If you log in (w/ CaC) you can see for yourself instead of asking questions. last time i have checked, alot of the assignments that are CONUS are to help with units deploying/or redeploying, or OPFOR or instructors. the assignments going OCONUS i have seen are MOS specific, but i have seen some that are rank specific. like they need an E6 25B in Camp Buehring, Kuwait. Or they need an E4 for something in Afghan.

You will have to log in, and you will have to read the assignments that you are interested in to find out if it is even open to you, or if you even qualify for it.

I dont think that MobCop will benefit/ or is intended for AD Soldiers (if they even know about it), and is more geared towards Reserves and Gaurd.

now you have posted around, and people have replied, but im not sure you have gotten the answer you are looking for, so lets try this.

If you are prior service looking to go active duty, your chances of being denied is about 99%.
that other 1% is going to be rare exceptions, for some crazy MOS that has a very high fail rate like SF.

Your other option(s) is to join the guards or the reserves. 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks for AT a year. Maybe a deployment every 6 years( maybe... unsure with the drawdown down what we will be doing)

If AD is what you want, stop wasting your time on the forums and go talk to a recruiter, as they will give you the solid answer instead of forum recruiters who know nothing about your situation.

If you are already in the Guard or reserves, and you are trying to go AD...again, your chances of being denied is about 99%. people do not get that the Army is drawing down its Active Duty force. dont like it??/ go talk to your units recruiter/career counsoler... noone here can do anything for you at all if you are enlisted... it will have to be done with your unit.

Posts: 185 | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have submitted my paperwork already to the recruiter but I wanted to make sure that 18x was truly the best way to go back in since I am prior service. I've been out since 2005 so I don't think that I can sign on AKO or CAC... I'll wait till the recruiter calls me back.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 23 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post