ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Current Events / News    can a Soldier buy out his/her military contract?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can a Soldier buy out his/her military contract?
 Login/Join

posted
I'd really like to know the answer to this question. What if a soldier's been picked up by a multi-million dollar record label, will he/she be bound by their military obligation? I ask because this is a very real possibility for a soldier out here (Korea).

Posts: 58 | Registered: 21 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Illernoise
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'll tell you something and you tell me whether or not you think this could happen.

Say I win the lottery and purse oh, 2 million dollars. Do you think that I'm going to come to work the next day, or even ever?? I think not! It's something I'd like to call a 'Conflict of Interest' If someone tells me to do something, I have 2 million, you think I'm going to listen? No. You couldn't hurt me with UCMJ because by taking my "military pay" away from me you're not really doing anything. Do you see where I'm getting at?

Posts: 662 | Location: Ft. Drum | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nurdt01
posted Hide Post
I think he's asking about an actual reg that exists, or the urban legend that everyone has heard about "some guy in battalion who won the lottery and got out." Or a lucrative job offer that let them get out early. I haven't been able to find anything, but then again, I haven't read ALL the regs, only a few.

Posts: 65 | Location: Fort Riley, KS | Registered: 29 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
Although I've always heard this and there were two married Soldiers that won millions in the lottery while on leave from Korea and got out (not sure if it was ETS or discharge) .... but after looking through AR 635-200, Active Duty Enlisted Administrative Seaparations, Chapter 5, Separation for Convenience of the Government is the only chapter that could possibly even be close, but not written in stone.

I'll keep researching this and contact someone I know that knows the couple above.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_17_104/ai_109959054

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nurdt01:
I think he's asking about an actual reg that exists, or the urban legend that everyone has heard about "some guy in battalion who won the lottery and got out." Or a lucrative job offer that let them get out early. I haven't been able to find anything, but then again, I haven't read ALL the regs, only a few.

I am

Posts: 58 | Registered: 21 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
I've always been curious of this too.

thanks AR, please let us know what you find concrete, and how much money DOES it have to be? Like a certain amount or TIMES what you early annually or times more than you will earn for your enlistment.

Does it have to be liquid?

If I won 50 Million dollars, and the only way I would be able to get an Honerable Discharge would be to finish my time left, I would do that. Actually, I might very well stay in...even with the 50 million. Staying at home, and not working really stinks to me. I would never be insubordinate or give half effort while in uniform tho. That has no relation at all to how much my net worth I have.

I'm sure there are alot soldiers, even enlisted out there sitting on millions....that do it for the pride and honor and defense of the USA.

Posts: 563 | Location: Camp Hovey, Korea | Registered: 23 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

If I won 50 Million dollars, and the only way I would be able to get an Honerable Discharge would be to finish my time left, I would do that. Actually, I might very well stay in...even with the 50 million. Staying at home, and not working really stinks to me. I would never be insubordinate or give half effort while in uniform tho. That has no relation at all to how much my net worth I have.

I'm sure there are alot soldiers, even enlisted out there sitting on millions....that do it for the pride and honor and defense of the USA.

It sounds real patriotic to say that now, but it someone told you to do something you didnt want to do, and the only thing that they can hang over your head is that if you dont do it they will take money from you or boot you out of the military for not following orders, and for the sake of arguement you have 25mil in the bank, your saying you would suck it up?

Whats that smell....Smells like BS!

Posts: 52 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 15 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Illernoise
posted Hide Post
Eh, there are people like that have been in the military. Take Pat Tillman for an example. He left millions of dollars behind playing for the Arizona Cardinals to join the U.S. Army.

Posts: 662 | Location: Ft. Drum | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
Pat Tillman was the exception ... not the rule.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

USAR Career Counselor
Picture of Daddy Warcrimes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtStrife:
It sounds real patriotic to say that now, but it someone told you to do something you didnt want to do, and the only thing that they can hang over your head is that if you dont do it they will take money from you or boot you out of the military for not following orders, and for the sake of arguement you have 25mil in the bank, your saying you would suck it up?

Whats that smell....Smells like BS!

A dishonorable discharge means that I can never buy firearms again, especially from the CMP.

They can also take your time, and put you in prison.

More important than all of those and also patriotism is the responsibility I have as an NCO to my soldiers. I didn't become an NCO for the money, I'm not going to stop being an NCO for money. If I did somehow come into millions, I'd probably go back to a part time status after this tour is over, but I can't see leaving the Army yet.

Posts: 3566 | Location: 13th BN ARCD, AZ | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DoubleDuece
posted Hide Post
I would stay on but it would be sooo much more enjoyable with 25 Mil.

"War is an act of force, and to the application of that force there is no limit. Each of the advisaries forces the hand of the other, and in a recipricol action results in which there can be no limit..."
Carl von Clausewitz, on war, 1833

Posts: 298 | Location: Fort Riley, KS | Registered: 20 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
There was a guy in my battery when I was a 13M who inherited a nice chunk of change (but way less than a million). He was gone in like three weeks. This really happened (not a he-said she-said) but I don't know the chapter they got him out on or anything.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2481 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Warcrimes:

A dishonorable discharge means that I can never buy firearms again, especially from the CMP.

They can also take your time, and put you in prison.

More important than all of those and also patriotism is the responsibility I have as an NCO to my soldiers. I didn't become an NCO for the money, I'm not going to stop being an NCO for money. If I did somehow come into millions, I'd probably go back to a part time status after this tour is over, but I can't see leaving the Army yet.

What they can do to you and what they will do are two different things.

Posts: 52 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 15 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I would stay in too. But for all the wrong reasons. Here's a list of things I would do with 50 mil.

1. Buy 365 full sets of ACU's.

2. Have the only Ferrari Enzo lined up for a four day vehicle inspection.

3. Get an ARCOM every year for donating to every charity in the CFC brochure.

4. Have hired "help" to do my guard duty, head count, staff duty, post cleanup, etc.

5. Open a bar called "Barracks Rat" near all major installations.

6. Buy and continue leasing land that the U.S. pays to use for STX,FTX, and training.

7. Spend my entire Mil-Pay on oil investments.

The backbone of the Army....has always been the E-4 Corps.

Posts: 54 | Registered: 20 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post