Find
Notify
Tools

Canucks Vs. Gringos
 Login/Join

Picture of longknife
posted
by CJ
Here on KAF, we have what is called “The Boardwalk.” It’s reminiscent of what you’d find on a boardwalk at any coast or riverbank. The difference here is that we don’t have any water – unless you count the Poo Pond – nearby.
The Boardwalk is a quarter mile round blocked collection of shops, restaurants, and vendors. This is where TGI Fridays is located next to the German PX on one side and the Italian PX on the other. Afghan businesses sell carpets, stones, jewelry, clothing, and other stuff.
At one end of the boardwalk is a memorial to the Fallen Heroes who gave the last of themselves bringing freedom to a barren wasteland.
http://admin.militarygear.com/...IMG_0949-300x225.jpg
It’s a simple memorial that I’ve seen troops from many countries just stop and stare at for long periods of time. No doubt, that memorial stands for a battle buddy, friend, or subordinate.
On the other end of the boardwalk is a volleyball court and, yes, a hockey rink. The Canadians are not legally allowed to deploy anywhere without a hocky rink, I think. Since it is difficult to get good inline skates and the dust and sand would just clog them up anyway, players just use their running shoes. Tonight, a US Army team was playing against a Canadian Army team. At the time of this photo, the game was scoreless. I’m convinced the Canadians have their hockey jerseys inspected as part of their deployment PCC and PCI.
http://admin.militarygear.com/...2011/09/IMG_0957.jpg
It’s a great way to get some exercise, relieve stress, have fun, and mingle with our allied nation troops.

Posts: 112 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: 14 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MIndBlind
posted Hide Post
So, did we wind up beating the Canucks? Nice post. Thanks for providing good atmospherics!

Posts: 1 | Location: JBLM | Registered: 02 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MSG W
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet that we didn't beat them. LOL

We had games out there every so often and they'd destroy us every time.

Posts: 403 | Location: Ft. Lewis, WA | Registered: 30 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post