ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Current Events / News    Gen. McChrystal CLEARED of ALL wrongdoing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen. McChrystal CLEARED of ALL wrongdoing
 Login/Join

Picture of 35 Series
posted
quote:
WASHINGTON -- A Pentagon inquiry into a Rolling Stone magazine profile of Gen. Stanley McChrystal that led to his dismissal as the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan has cleared him of wrongdoing.

The probe's results released Monday also called into question the accuracy of the magazine's report last June, which quoted anonymously people around McChrystal making disparaging remarks about members of President Obama's national security team, including Vice President Joe Biden.

The office of the Defense Department inspector general said it reviewed an unpublished Army investigation of the case, and interviewed numerous eyewitnesses. It concluded that the evidence was insufficient to substantiate a violation of any applicable legal or ethics standard by McChrystal or any of his staff.

The Pentagon inquiry also concluded that not all of the events at issue happened as reported in the article.

"In some instances, we found no witnesses who acknowledged making or hearing the comments as reported," the Pentagon report said. "In other instances, we confirmed that the general substance of an incident at issue occurred, but not in the exact context described in the article."

Attempts by The AP to get comment from Rolling Stone weren't immediately successful.

After the Rolling Stone article was published, McChrystal was summoned to the White House and dismissed. He was replaced by Gen. David Petraeus.

Obama said at the time that McChrystal had fallen short of "the standard that should be set by a commanding general." He called the dismissal the right decision for U.S. national security and said McChrystal's conduct represented in the magazine article also "undermines the civilian control of the military that is at the core of our democratic system. And it erodes the trust that's necessary for our team to work together to achieve our objectives in Afghanistan."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ofile/#ixzz1JvKEkMRn

quote:
Washington (CNN) -- Gen. Stanley McChrystal lost his job when Rolling Stone magazine ran an article in which some of his aides made disparaging remarks about the vice president and others. But a newly released investigation by the Department of Defense inspector general finds neither McChrystal nor any of his aides did anything wrong.

In the article called "The Runaway General" reporter Michael Hastings wrote that one of McChrystal's aides referred to Vice President Joseph Biden as "Bite Me" and another referred to then-national security adviser Gen. James Jones as a "clown."

After interviewing 15 people, the inspector general's office completed its report on April 8. It was made public Monday after a Freedom of Information Act request by the New York Times. Neither McChrystal, who cooperated with an earlier Army investigation, nor Hastings were interviewed for the inspector general's report.

In the report, the inspector general writes, "The evidence was insufficient to substantiate a violation of applicable DoD standards." The report goes on to say, "Not all of the events at issue occurred as reported in the article."

It concluded "none of the matters we reviewed warrant further investigation."

McChrystal, who had been in charge of all U.S. and International Security Assistance Force units in Afghanistan, was brought back to Washington after the article was published. After meeting with President Barack Obama, he resigned his command and later retired from the military.

But four days after the inspector general's report was completed, the White House announced McChrystal would be part of the Michelle Obama's and Jill Biden's new Joining Forces initiative. The organization is set up to support and honor America's service members and their families.

McChrystal is now a senior fellow at Yale University.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/....html?iref=allsearch

quote:
WASHINGTON — A Pentagon inquiry into a Rolling Stone magazine profile of Gen. Stanley McChrystal that led to his dismissal as the top US commander in Afghanistan has cleared him of wrongdoing.

The probe's results, released Monday, also called into question the accuracy of the magazine's report last June, which quoted anonymously people around McChrystal making disparaging remarks about members of President Barack Obama's national security team, including Vice President Joe Biden.

At the time he dismissed McChrystal, Obama said the general had fallen short of "the standard that should be set by a commanding general." The Defense Department inspector general's report, however, concluded that available evidence did not support the conclusion that McChrystal had violated any applicable legal or ethical standard.

Last week the White House tapped McChrystal to head a new advisory board to support military families, an initiative led by the first lady, Michelle Obama, and Jill Biden, wife of the vice president. The selection of McChrystal was announced on April 12, four days after the inspector general's report was finished.

The inspector general's conclusions first were reported Monday by The New York Times, which obtained the report under a Freedom of Information Act request. The Pentagon subsequently posted the report on its website.

White House spokesman Tommy Vietor declined to comment on the report.

The inspector general's report said it had reviewed an unpublished Army investigation of the case and interviewed numerous eyewitnesses. It said McChrystal declined an invitation to provide sworn testimony, saying he had already testified to Army investigators. He also would not comment on the IG's conclusions.

The Pentagon inquiry also concluded that not all of the events at issue happened as reported in the Rolling Stone article.

"In some instances, we found no witnesses who acknowledged making or hearing the comments as reported," the Pentagon report said. "In other instances, we confirmed that the general substance of an incident at issue occurred, but not in the exact context described in the article."

Rolling Stone issued a statement saying it stands behind its story, which it called "accurate in every detail."

After the Rolling Stone article was published, McChrystal was summoned to the White House and dismissed. He was replaced by Gen. David Petraeus.

Obama at the time called the dismissal the right decision for U.S. national security and said McChrystal's conduct represented in the magazine article also "undermines the civilian control of the military that is at the core of our democratic system. And it erodes the trust that's necessary for our team to work together to achieve our objectives in Afghanistan."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42650869

There you have it, from Fox, CNN, and MSNBC. Not sure how much else you could ask for in terms of "unbiased". The only difference of course is that Fox has it on their front page where I had to search for the article that was buried in the depths of the site on CNN/MSNBC.

Hats off to McChrystal. Typical BS media reporting and "guilty until proven innocent" and conviction by media trial as usual, just like the Duke Lacrosse Case and many others.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ArmyWife~N~Soldier
posted Hide Post
And to think I used to cut pictures of Axle Rose and Lars Ulrich out of that crap magazine...I remember how pissed off I was that they fired him over that. One of the many reasons I think the press has no place around military or military matters. Dickheads.

Posts: 758 | Location: Fort Carson, CO | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was on leave from Afghanistan when he got fired. I couldn't believe we would force a capable leader out for cheap political gain.

Posts: 364 | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It just shows how thick our current Commander in Chief's skin really is.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:

I agree. He would have looked like the bigger man had he judged the man on his capabilities as a commanding general and not his opinion of him.

Posts: 758 | Location: Fort Carson, CO | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

He would have looked like the bigger man had he judged the man on his capabilities as a commanding general and not his opinion of him.

------------------------------------------------

You guys are complete morons. 1st off the comments made were not directed at Pres. Obama but Joe Biden and other White House Officials. While I don't agree with every decision Pres. Obama makes when you are the Pres and negative comments are made about your cabinet, What are you suppose to do? How would you guys handled the situation? Stand there and do nothing, not hold him accountable for his actions. Then Obama looks like a "B", so instead he made an example Don't know if you guys know this ,while Gen. McChrystal had a phenomenal career, he was a very unpopular ISAF/USFOR-A Commander. Gen McChrystal was expendable, he was replaced by someone just as more if not more capable to do the job. The situation could of been a lot worse, with reduction in rank and what not, instead it was handle professionally I thought and McChrystal was allowed to step down and retire.

Get over your dislike for the President for a moment

Posts: 494 | Registered: 24 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seven0821:

He would have looked like the bigger man had he judged the man on his capabilities as a commanding general and not his opinion of him.

------------------------------------------------

You guys are complete morons. 1st off the comments made were not directed at Pres. Obama but Joe Biden and other White House Officials. While I don't agree with every decision Pres. Obama makes when you are the Pres and negative comments are made about your cabinet, What are you suppose to do? How would you guys handled the situation? Stand there and do nothing, not hold him accountable for his actions. Then Obama looks like a "B", so instead he made an example Don't know if you guys know this ,while Gen. McChrystal had a phenomenal career, he was a very unpopular ISAF/USFOR-A Commander. Gen McChrystal was expendable, he was replaced by someone just as more if not more capable to do the job. The situation could of been a lot worse, with reduction in rank and what not, instead it was handle professionally I thought and McChrystal was allowed to step down and retire.

Get over your dislike for the President for a moment

Are you serious? The comments that those people made were their opinions of Biden and other people on his staff. It's their right to have those opinions and to voice them. As the news articles stated, they were taken out of context or embellished or flat out made up in some cases, so if the President had actually waited for the results of the investigation the man would probably still have his job. Instead he got his feelings hurt and acted without actually knowing the facts. He acted on an impulse that he got from reading Rolling Stone. Dandy. If President Obama fired everyone in the military for disliking him, he'd be over there slinging rounds himself. The point is he fired him b/c of the comments made, not b/c of poor performance. It made him look very trite.

posted Hide Post
Army Wife you are right we all have our opinions that's why I am stating mine.

You obviously dislike the President because you guys are saying he doesn't have tough skin when the comments made were not directed at him, so how does he not have tough skin? How was Pres Obama feelings hurt. LOL. Ok taken out of context/embelished, I get it. Do you really think the President picked up a Rolling Stone and fired A General of the US Army without meeting with him 1st. or any dialogue or conversation with any deciding figure. I don't think Gen. McChrystal would have stepped down so easily if he knew he wasn't wrong.

I personally think it sucks McChrystal got fired because a reporter wanted to get some personal gain at expense of someone else.
I know 1st hand from deployments and attached journalist how they can twist words and try and dig for a story.
The situation was embarrassing. A subordinate disrespecting and undermining a superior behind their back and when it surfaces, not just to them but the public, what do you do? How do you handle it?
If you were a PSG, and your best Squad Leader was attempting to humiliate you behind your back, disrespecting and making a joke of you, would he still have a job in your Platoon? Do you really think 1 piece stops the entire machine, not in the Army?
While he’s a General, WOW, I get it, a General, this isn’t WW1 he isn’t out there on the ground, leading from the front moving brigade and division size elements. So while he is valuable, still replaceable.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seven0821:
I know 1st hand from deployments and attached journalist how they can twist words and try and dig for a story.
The situation was embarrassing.

...and that is why Gen McChrystal was rightly fired. In COIN, you "control the message". Amazing how the "Authors" of COIN fail to implement COIN.

It is not just Gen. that fail to control the message. Look at this, http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04...p=2&sq=Ghazni&st=nyt

“Referring to one corrupt and high-ranking government official he sees routinely, Maj. Randy Schmeling, a 43-year-old Army National Guardsman who commands the American police mentoring teams in Ghazni, said, “I’d like to break down his door, stomp on his chest, point my 9-millimeter at his head and say, ‘Stop what you are doing!’ ”

"He added: “Right now, there is no meritocracy here. It’s, ‘Hey, your sister has a pretty mouth — do you want to be a general?’ ”

Posts: 240 | Registered: 04 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mrs. Tillman was interviewed for her opinion today as well, and she still dislikes McChrystal for allegedly knowingly awarding her dead son combat awards when he died from friendly fire. If I was President and I heard that a General was bad mouthing me, and I called him or her in and it appeared to me that he or she did in fact, run their mouth, I would fire them too. If McChrystal was sick of his job, he could have retired before he got to the point that he felt the need to vent. Many times someone will stay for the almighty pension - get the ticket punched as many times as possible - maybe no matter how discontent they have become.
When you have lost faith in the institution that you have dedicated your career too, the right thing to do is resign, if you cannot come to grips with the situation. In McChrystal's case, POTUS let him retire at the higher rank when he had not been in the grade long enough to earn it. He cut him some slack there too. McChrystal also has hired a PR Firm and he travels around the USA lecturing wherever a group or a college will pay his inflated fees of $60k. So, I say, "Don't Cry for McChrystal". In fact, don't cry for any retired General. They don't want or need your tears. Unlike in previous wars, retired Generals no longer turn in their stars for a golf cart and retire at the nearest senior living facility in Florida. They collect their considerable retirement checks and it has been reported that 80% of two and three, and four star retirees, go to work as soon as federal law allows, for DOD contractors as executives. And not all DOD contractors, as you know, are boring arms makers, if that's not the General's thing. Why even NASCAR is a DOD contractor. And in closing, retired General Ricardo Sanchez may be running for the U.S. Senate in Texas on the Democratic ticket in 2012, and he was forced to retire because of the mess at the Iraqi prison I can't spell correctly. So, resurrection and rejuvenation apparently knows no political bounds. Good subject post!

Posts: 438 | Registered: 22 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thin skin did not have to exclusively mean comments directed at Commander in Chief.

If someone insulted my mother for example (in this case allegedly members of the cabinet), and my panties got in a bunch, it could be said I have thin skin.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
This thread wasn't about whether he should be fired or not. My point was that he was "convicted" by the media and lacerated but just about every outlet, yet every indication points to the fact that he didn't even do it - that it was bad journalism.

Maybe Obama should have looked into it a little further before he more or less forced him to retire and humiliated him in front of the world. Just a suggestion.

I can agree that you can't have generals "seemingly" making disparaging remarks, but maybe your troops would be willing to follow you a little more (meaning following Obama) if you didn't make rash decisions and stood behind your troops when they are being criticized unfairly by the media.

Because now no one remembers that McChrystal did nothing wrong according to MULTIPLE investigations, people will only remember that Obama fired him almost the moment the article was released without doing any fact checking first.

For a guy that gave approximately 34 out of his 57 years on Earth serving his country honorably, including some pretty tough assignments...that's disgraceful behavior.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
"You're a moron" is a poor counter argument. Keep in mind the administration fired him right as his new offensive was going into effect. That's simply bad practice. The Administration wasn't interested in fact finding, it lashed out as a petty PR move. Ultimately it made the President look weak and, after the recent findings, foolish.

Posts: 364 | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Triwall - You are a moron also because that was not the only thing I stated as my counter argument.

What offensive was this? seriously I am asking because I don't know.

As far as the firing being petty explain? I am just curious to hear what should of been done. How would you of handled it?

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
Everyone, everyone! Calm down. Soon Donald Trump will be our President! NO ONE is more strategic then he is. Our troubles will be answered!

lol. Throw some more wood in the fire!

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post