Find
Notify
Tools

Fobbits Kill
 Login/Join

Picture of longknife
posted
by CJ
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a little about “fobbits.” I won’t rehash the term since I just linked it, but I want to talk about the “fobbit mentality.”
There is a distinctive difference between the fobbit who has been outside the wire and experienced the realities of war and a fobbit who will earn their combat patch having never left the wire. Among the former group, there are two additional sub-groups – those that still recognize that even though they will never leave the wire they are still in a combat zone and those that think they live in a bubble and that nothing can touch them on the FOB (forward operating base). I’m going to talk about an exchange I had with a member of the latter sub-group I just described.
Last night, Kandahar Airfield came under rocket attack at approximately 20:21. I know because I write every rocket attack and “all clear” in my journal. There are processes and procedures that are supposed to take place when an attack happens. I won’t go into the details, but the obvious response is to seek shelter in a nearby bunker. That’s exactly what I did last night, but apparently it’s a novel concept where I work since there was only one other person in the bunker with me.
[IMG] http://admin.militarygear.com/...8/IMG_0793.jpg[/IMG]

As we waiting out the attack, a few of my Soldiers drove up to our nearby building and joined me in the bunker. Every now and then, I’d spot someone walking lackadaisically towards the latrine. That’s fine. I have no problem with someone risking their lives to cleanse their bowels and bladders before facing potential underwear altering events! Sometimes it’s better to just be a mangled, bloody mess than a mangled, bloody mess and have a mess in your pants.
However, when the Soldiers left the porta-potty, they would begin walking back to their buildings. Keep in mind that KAF is a large base. Just because the entire base is under a rocket attack doesn’t mean it’s anywhere nearby. It’s possible to be under a rocket attack and never even hear the explosion of the impacts. Then again, the rounds lobbed over the perimeter could be duds and we just got lucky. But, it doesn’t matter. When the siren sounds, Soldiers are to take particular steps to protect themselves and their troops.
Read more @ http://militarygear.com/asp/20...ontent=Google+Reader

Posts: 112 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: 14 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am just kind of curious what the point of this post was? You as an NCO should care about everyone and tell them to get to cover, regardless of your feelings...

Posts: 5 | Location: Camp Calero | Registered: 02 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FIFTYCRUSHPLAN
posted Hide Post
Ok, so its "fobbits" who are the only "F" ups on the FOB? Hell no! Somebody has a small penis I think? Or were you getting daily ass whippins in high school? If it wasnt for "fobbits" The ground pounders would not even be able to go out and do their thing. So someone is not a pu$$y and scared of mortars, shouldnt we be talking these guys up since they are usually stereotyped to be pu$$ies? WTF? The army is like high school I swear!!! Not to mention why are you breaking OPSEC? You know, stating that its KAF and your taking IDF at 20:21? Im not sure if you wrote all this yourself or if its ripped from an article because it was just too retarded to pay any heed.

Get Some!

Posts: 562 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SA Joe
posted Hide Post
I don't understand. It rambles and doesn't make sense at several points.

Posts: 123 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Public_Health_Huh?
posted Hide Post
I believe the poster is SPAMMING. Every post he puts has an outside link to go somewhere else.

I clicked on the link above, for the image. Image could not be found.

IT'S A SPAMBOT!!!!!!!! Eeker

Posts: 200 | Location: Presidio of Monterey, California | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FIFTYCRUSHPLAN
posted Hide Post
ha!!! I was SPAMboozled LOL!

Get Some!

Posts: 562 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of longknife
posted Hide Post
No, I'm not a spammer or a troller.
I just try to post items I think would be of interest to military personnel, active and retired.
This particular post comes from a soldier serving in Afghanistan and I thought it would be of interest.
If you or the moderators don't want these, SAY SO and I'll stop!

Posts: 112 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: 14 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I thought it was the fobbits who actually went to the bunkers. KAF is huge. When I was there I really didn't grace the bunker with my presence too often.

Posts: 364 | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post