ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Current Events / News    Local heroes: FOB docs care for troops, Afghans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local heroes: FOB docs care for troops, Afghans
 Login/Join

Picture of longknife
posted
September 16th, 2011 | Outside the wire | Posted by Joe Gould

The staff at the combat support hospital on FOB Salerno, in Khost Province, Afghanistan, are taking hearts and minds seriously–and they need all the help they can get.
Operation: Support Salerno is soliciting donations for soldiers (care packages) and local Afghan population, which the hospital also treats.
 For weekend pancake breakfasts and pasta nights–anything to avoid Army food–they’re looking for pancake mix and maple syrup, dry pasta and sauce, as well as sushi rice, seaweed paper and Spam.  (Hunt around on their website and you’ll find the person who’s making Korean sushi rolls AKA gimbap.) They suggest going here and here to send.
Go here to make monetary donations, which support the purchase of daily necessities for Afghan children (clothes, hygiene items, tooth brush/paste, children’s multivitamins) and much needed medical supplies to augment the treatment of some of the local population.
 Capt. Jeffrey Smith, at Salerno Hospital, who brought the web site to our attention, said that one of the things he enjoys most about his job is interacting with Afghan children.
 ”I really enjoy interacting with the kids and trying to make a difference in their perception of Americans,” he said. “After all, the children are the future of Afghanistan and I’d like to think some of what we do here will have an impact.”
 Smith offered thanks for donations the web site has already attracted from folks back home.
 ”Without their support, none of we do here would be possible,” Smith said. “I’ve been very lucky to have been part of this and to have met so many amazing Americans. I am reminded every day why I’m proud to be an American.”

Posts: 112 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: 14 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post