ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Army Boards  Hop To Forums  Board Prep    Soldier of the Month board gigs
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Soldier of the Month board gigs
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Again, not to be arguementative Sir, but I've never been called to attention while in a board. If done properly, you should never be told to assume the position of attention.

Posts: 304 | Location: Camp Slayer, Iraq | Registered: 09 December 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I know that personally during officer promotions they will have you do each position and then talk a bit, so rest, at ease, parade rest, so on and so on...

Posts: 213 | Location: Here, There, Every where | Registered: 06 July 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Having both sat on many boards and even run a few, whenever you are at the position of attention your head and eyes are straight forward. If you are asked to recite anything (I personally have never made anyone do that) you stay at that position. Once you are given the opportunity to sit you should always be staring at the person talking to you. If you are asked to talk about yourself be sure to look at all board members. Eye movement to the floor and ceiling will get you points deducted. That being said I am very good at the staring game and can make a soldier uncomfortable to answer even the easy questions as I give'em my evil stare :twisted:

Posts: 936 | Location: web surfing hell | Registered: 31 March 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:5199f914ec="NASCAR#17"]Having both sat on many boards and even run a few, whenever you are at the position of attention your head and eyes are straight forward. If you are asked to recite anything (I personally have never made anyone do that) you stay at that position. Once you are given the opportunity to sit you should always be staring at the person talking to you. If you are asked to talk about yourself be sure to look at all board members. Eye movement to the floor and ceiling will get you points deducted. That being said I am very good at the staring game and can make a soldier uncomfortable to answer even the easy questions as I give'em my evil stare :twisted:[/quote:5199f914ec]

I knew you were evil, but thats pure evil, and of course you do, guess its the way they do it out here is the president calls you to attention and you don't move.

Posts: 213 | Location: Here, There, Every where | Registered: 06 July 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Oh and I have only been asked to be seated at one board, that was my latest one.

posted Hide Post
This is good stuff, thanks everyone.

Posts: 10 | Location: Germany | Registered: 20 July 2004Report This Post

Picture of Caffeine Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eye movement to the floor and ceiling will get you points deducted. That being said I am very good at the staring game and can make a soldier uncomfortable to answer even the easy questions as I give'em my evil stare :twisted:

LOL, I hope he's not in 3ID! Cool NASCAR#17 sounds like one tough ombre.

Maybe tougher than me?!? Nah, I highly doubt it.

Posts: 431 | Location: U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan (living it up in South Korea!) | Registered: 28 October 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I have been to a few boards recently (8 in the last 8 months), and a lot of these points are good. The way you present and carry yourself is the most important. From the moment you knock be confident and show it, don't be cocky though. For bios be fluid and look at every one on the board when saying them. For creeds, be fluid and exact, know them word for word. Make sure you are studying the right areas by using the MOI. Make sure your uniform is perfect. Amata, you said your collar is messed up. You may get away with that now, but further down the road that may get you kicked out of a board (Promotion, NCO, SAMC). I saw a SFC get kicked out of the SAMC board for not having her ID tags on. I was kicked out a little bit later when I missed my first question. As I went to more boards I learned to keep my confidence through out the board, even if I miss a few questions I can hold my composure better. Try to maintain your voice and volume, the volume you use to answer a question should be the same as when you don't know the answer. There are so many things to work on, don't get overwhelmed. I practice bios and creeds with my kids running around the house, it helps so I don't get shaken when I am in front of the board and the members are doing things like shaking their heads as I recite. I am sure it is different everywhere, so these are some things that have helped me be successful (somewhat) at boards.

Picture of Caffeine Addict
posted Hide Post
About how long does a board apperance last and how many questions are asked?

Thanx
R.B.

Posts: 431 | Location: U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan (living it up in South Korea!) | Registered: 28 October 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RICKY_BRANCH:
About how long does a board apperance last and how many questions are asked?

Thanx
R.B.

It depends on the board. I've seen people go in, recite the NCO or Soldiers Creed and be done (on promo boards). Personally, mine have lasted anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes, with the SoM ones taking longer. In all of the ones I've been too, I've been asked 3 questions (sometimes more or less) from each topic and each board member had 7-9 topics (except the CSM, who only asked current events and a couple opinion questions).

My Photos: www.flickr.com/photos/thefrosty1
My blog (it's new and pretty and gets updated almost daily): www.gypsygentilli.com
MySpace: www.myspace.com/gypsygentilli

Posts: 378 | Location: Barstow, CA | Registered: 14 August 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
To add to DS2000 and TenaciousP you are both correct. You should be standing at the position of attention with your head and eyes straight forward not looking at the person. Reason being is because it is usually the president of the board that asks you to recite the Soldier's Creed or Creed of the Non-Commissioned Officers like so "Do you know the Soldier's Creed? Then recite it please. OR Please recite the Soldier's Creed. He/She does not call you to attention they want to know if you know what to do when reciting the creed.

Picture of Hellz
posted Hide Post
i think we have a winner here...
this thread was dead for 7 years and 8 months...

you must be all kinds of special....

just thinking about it...

you joined the site today, just to reply to this thread, regurgitate some worthless information that they most likely got answers for a long time ago. or they maybe they PCS-ed, or re-enlisted, then PCS, or hit thier 20 year mark and retired...

i cant wait until your next post... im sitting on edge right now waiting in anticipation...../nail biting