ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  Warrior Transition Course    Prior service wanting back in?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prior service wanting back in?
 Login/Join

posted
34 yr old married for 15 yrs with 2 kids. 3yrs regular army 11B stationed HHC 1st BDE Ft. Campbell Ky. Got out as an E-4 (Spc) in April 2001. Joined TN National Guard in Dec 2001 deployed to Iraq from Feb 2003 to Jun 2004 as 88M. Because of My Sincgar and other commo exp from working Brigade TAC for Bastogne I was made somewhat a Commo chief for 1175th Combat HET company of approx. 300 soldiers. Got out of the Guard after my deployment to Iraq because of civilan job advantage. I have a good Job but I miss being a soldier and am wanting to come back. So what are my options. My pt score as of today was 46 push ups, 68 situps, and 2 mile in 16:28. I will have my body fat where it should be in another month at the most 2 months. Will my little over a year of active duty with the national guard count towards retirement? Will I have to retake the asvab? I never recieved college help or bonus so would I be elgible? The most important question is. Will they even let me back in after 6 years being out? Any information would be a help.

Posts: 3 | Location: Columbia, Tennessee | Registered: 11 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Your time will count towards retirement. There is a form, but I don't know it. You will not have to take the ASVAB unless you have some really terrible line scores. If you barely made the cut (score wise) coming in back in 2001, then you could very well have to retake it. You should be eligible for the post 911 MGIB. Have patience, you will very likely have to do infantry again.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
how do you join active duty and the NG and not get any "college help" which by that you probably mean GI Bill??

Dont count on a bonus, dont count on being picky about getting a job...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:
how do you join active duty and the NG and not get any "college help" which by that you probably mean GI Bill??

Don't count on a bonus, don't count on being picky about getting a job...

Because when I joined the army I had a G.E.D.. I did get the GI bill where they took out 100 for first 12 months and matched. But did not get the College funding that others did. I didn't want it but I would have liked a bonus. I was uneducated at the time of all things army lol. I had a good gt score but because of my G.E.D. I was told I didn't qualify for a bonus. Yet once in I met others in same situation who received bonuses. I am not planning on being picky but I am going to try to be a lot smarter this time. I'm not sure I want anything other than 11B. I want a chance at my EIB for one.

Posts: 3 | Location: Columbia, Tennessee | Registered: 11 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of brianbaird
posted Hide Post
I know this off topic, but what Battalion were you in? I was in third Battalion around the same time you were there.

Army Reserve Career Counselor

Posts: 55 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Volandtitanfan:
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:

Don't count on a bonus, don't count on being picky about getting a job...

Because when I joined the army I had a G.E.D.. I did get the GI bill where they took out 100 for first 12 months and matched. But did not get the College funding that others did. I didn't want it but I would have liked a bonus. I was uneducated at the time of all things army lol. I had a good gt score but because of my G.E.D. I was told I didn't qualify for a bonus. Yet once in I met others in same situation who received bonuses. I am not planning on being picky but I am going to try to be a lot smarter this time. I'm not sure I want anything other than 11B. I want a chance at my EIB for one.

Wasn't in a battalion. I got stuck in HHC BDE from day 1. I worked in the S03 (operations). Col Oats was the BDE Commander for the majority of the time I was there. So you were with battle force. If you were ever near a radio I was Bastogne 3r.

Picture of brianbaird
posted Hide Post
I was my CO's RTO for awhile so I may have heard you on the handset. Yeah good ol Battle Force, I hear they don't exist anymore, now third BN is all Calvary.

Army Reserve Career Counselor

Posts: 55 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You seem good to go, of course they will let you back in.

This is of course, unless any y-variables you didn't mention would prevent you.

Do you want to know what Army Basic Training and Army Life is "really" like?

http://whatisbootcamplike.com

Posts: 71 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post