ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  The BEAR Program    Tier 10 bonus in 2010 vs Tier 10 bonus today...and other questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tier 10 bonus in 2010 vs Tier 10 bonus today...and other questions
 Login/Join

posted
I am a SSG.
I have a few questions about my re-up after BEAR graduation. I was slotted for the BEAR program for 29E and at the time it was tier 10

1: I would assume (deadly word) that when I reenlist at my unit it goes off the tier 10 'bonus amount' at the time when I signed up for the BEAR, not the current tier 10 chart. (because it is a heck of a lot more now $72K vs $40k with SSG and 5 years re-up)

Any help is appreciated

This message has been edited. Last edited by: argarus,

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Illernoise
posted Hide Post
When I did the BEAR program, the highest bonus available is the bonus that you received, whether it be when you entered the program or the day before you reenlist.

Posts: 660 | Location: Ft. Drum | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Illernoise:
When I did the BEAR program, the highest bonus available is the bonus that you received, whether it be when you entered the program or the day before you reenlist.

If i am not mistaken, is still the same...you should get the one that is higher, the current one or the one that it was when you signed papers for BEAR.

Posts: 665 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
CLARIFICATION: 29E was a tier 10 when I signed up for it in 2012. Today it is not on the BEAR program, but the 'TIER CHART' amounts have changed from what it was in 2010.

So your saying I get to go off the chart from today?

posted Hide Post
I reclassed to 25P in the Bear program in Iraq back in Jan 2010, I then went to school and completed AIT July 2011. When I graduated I had EXACTLY 90 days from graduation or else lose the bonus. 25P was no longer on the Bear program but I still got the bonus from 2010. I am now stuck in a 798 MOS but thats another post lol... So the short of this is make sure you talk to retention as soon as you complete AIT. Also on TDY you still belong to your previous unit so until you are arrived at your gaining unit by S1 you should be able to go ahead and complete you reenlistment. Please post back and let us know how it goes!!

Posts: 5 | Location: Fort Detrick, MD | Registered: 12 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just want to make sure I am understanding everyone so far. Since the Army is hurting with budget and is down sizing.

I will get $72,000 BEAR bonus when I reenlist for five years in a couple weeks time..NOT the $40,000 I was going to origianlly get?

Now if someone can just point me in the right direction to the regulation that states that for me so I can prove to the retentino NCO.

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by argarus:
CLARIFICATION: 29E was a tier 10 when I signed up for it in 2012. Today it is not on the BEAR program, but the 'TIER CHART' amounts have changed from what it was in 2010.

So your saying I get to go off the chart from today?

Ok, so it was Tier 10 and in the BEAR program, now is NOT in the BEAR but has a Tier 8 as SRB...so where did you got the 72K?!?!? You said that Tier 10 used to be 40K, now Tier 8 is 40K, so you will get 40K, easy...You have to go by what the MOS has as Tier, not what is the amount that Tier 10 has/used to have...Just because your MOS used to be Tier 10, and at that time that was 40K, and now is 72K, it doesn't mean that you will get what Tier 10 is now...UNLESS, your MOS is still having the same TIER, which is not. I hope this make sense to you

Posts: 665 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am confused, hopefully you can set that straight... Currently for 29E on the SRB Tiered is an 8, but that is for SFC only.... So being I am a SSG, would it then default to the original tier 10 when I signed up for it because there is not anything for SSG today in that MOS?

Picture of Illernoise
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 660 | Location: Ft. Drum | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by argarus:
I am confused, hopefully you can set that straight... Currently for 29E on the SRB Tiered is an 8, but that is for SFC only.... So being I am a SSG, would it then default to the original tier 10 when I signed up for it because there is not anything for SSG today in that MOS?

Right...if you wouldn't have signed for BEAR when the MOS was in, then you wouldn't get nothing now. But, because the BEAR says that you will get a bonus, doesn't matter that the MOS is not in the program anymore...it was when you signed in, so you will get the Tier that was at the time you signed. Now, if the MOS was still in the BEAR, then you will get the Tier that was the highest, now or then.

posted Hide Post
The pertinent regulation is AR 601-280. See chapter 5. And yes, you should get whatever is the larger bonus. Keep in mind that you can only calculate reenlistment time up to your 16th year for bonus purposes. I haven't heard anything about an additional bonus to switch MOS's. If you come across any new information please let us know.

Posts: 28 | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
quote:

2: With that, we have a lot of recruiters in our class. They are preaching to everyone to make sure you talk to your retention NCO about getting an additional $4500 bonus for switching your MOS. This is in addition to the BEAR bonus. Can you verify this is true. It sounds too good to be true, and from what I have found out it usually ends up that way. If it is true, can you guide me in the right direction/reg so i can make sure I present it to my retention NCO at my gaining unit.

I think they are talking about the MOS Conversion Bonus Program. But, 29E only has a bonus of $4000 at the SGT level, and $0 at the SSG...now, the 25E has a $4000 at both SGT and SSG. This is the only thing that i found out about an additional bonus, i don't know if this is what they are talking about. There are also 3 other MOS's on this list, 35L- $4000 at SGT, 51C- $2000 at SSG, and 79R- $2000 at SGT and SSG.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info CrisTama. I looked through the Milper messages and the most recent message concerning the MOS Conversion Bonus Program seems to be 11-385. There are some qualifiers, but you're right there are additional bonuses for some MOS's.

Posts: 28 | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Rangers94
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tschermerhorn1:
The pertinent regulation is AR 601-280. See chapter 5. And yes, you should get whatever is the larger bonus. Keep in mind that you can only calculate reenlistment time up to your 16th year for bonus purposes. I haven't heard anything about an additional bonus to switch MOS's. If you come across any new information please let us know.

With the latest SRB message are those MOSs with the C next to their tier level paying out to the 20th year of service?

Posts: 58 | Location: US | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm interested to find out if anyone has come to a final answer on this question. I have read 601-280 and am eager to see how the army is going to jerk us out of this one

Posts: 1 | Registered: 29 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post