Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

35p SOT-A
 Login/Join

posted
There is not much info on the internet about SOT-A.

How do I get in and is there a selection process?

When I spoke to the branch managers last, they told me with my language Spec. and being airborne I would be slotted for SOT-A. My current position Senior Scout Observer prior to that RTO to Scouts. I would like to get into that position as a Crypto Linguist.

Posts: 40 | Registered: 16 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You won't find hardly anything because the nature of the business. The majority of it is on SIPR or the high side. I have two CJSOTF-A (Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-Afghanistan) deployments. Just came back from my last one in April.

I can tell you that working with SOT-As and ODAs is what made me want to reclass to 35P. I also hope to end up there (in about two friggin' years. Stupid Arabic). Since you are already Airborne and I assume a PT stud, you should be good to go. At some point during your training, the SF and 75th guys should come around and that is when you get to impress them. No selection process that I am aware of. I base this off my conversation with actual SOT-A members, take it for what it is worth. If I were you, I would go down to 5th Group's GSB and talk to some their guys to get some first hand info.

Posts: 259 | Registered: 23 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
@Dar, thanks that was good to know, thanks for the heads up. I hope to get end up there.

@jc351lp, I actually found out from them. The given guidance by branch is to call during half way point of DLI to put the request in, but will do.

posted Hide Post
There's more than enough info about them on google. search on boards like shadowspear, socnet, etc.

You won't find the exact details of the job, but you'll get a general idea of what they do.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I sure hope branch slots me there as they say, Just means I got to give them a call.

Picture of INTEL NCO
posted Hide Post
Wyerles i know they recruit 35P's in DLI. Have you attended one yet or tracking dates for SF brief

All soldiers are entitled to outstanding leadership; I will provide that leadership.

Posts: 174 | Location: Fort Bragg, NC | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
PM sent, thank you

posted Hide Post
You stand a pretty good chance of going if you're motivated. Group has been hurting for support personnel, so they're taking almost all volunteers.

Posts: 257 | Location: Ft Sam Houston | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of pfunk
posted Hide Post
Like 35PSGT said, they're taking almost everyone. As long as you're airborne qualified or willing to go airborne school, they'll cut you orders. The major task though, is graduating from a language first.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 25 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This is about a month late.

USASFC has a full assessment and validation program in the works for SOT-A's. At the moment an indoc class has been run a few times.

Goodluck on your language and work on your PT.

"He was a SOT-A Soldier doing exactly what SOT-A's do," his commander said, "fighting alongside his special forces teammates in the most difficult, dangerous places while carrying heavy loads of technical gear that saves lives of our forces and takes the lives of our enemies."

Posts: 3 | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post