ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  MOS Questions    If you could choose all over again!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could choose all over again!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFC W:
I chose 96B (35F) and would have chosen 97E (linguist) instead. I wish I would have gotten a language.

97E (now 35M) is interrogator, an MOS that can have a language trailer, but it's not what is generally known as the "linguist MOS". You may be thinking of 98G (now 35P), which is a language-dependent MOS, meaning Soldiers must have a passing DLPT score in order to hold the MOS. I just wanted to clear that up.

Posts: 257 | Location: Ft Sam Houston | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Signed up as a 35F so that I could interact with all of the other 35 series MOS's and reclass when my window opened. The MOS I wanted initially (but had incorrect knowledge on the risks associated) was 35M.

If I could go back, I would have enlisted as a 35M.

Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Drum, NY | Registered: 25 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My whole enlistment process was an insane one... On the outside before the Army, I was apprenticing an electrician. Naturally, I wanted to continue with that so I wanted to become a 21R (now 12R I believe, "Interior Electrician").

Well, 21R wasn't available. Station commander said 91D (generator mechanic) was pretty much the same thing and I had a reservation. When it came time to sign up, 91D was no longer available. So, on a whim, I chose 89D (EOD).

Failed out of EOD (very ashamed to admit) and I got reclassed to 91C. It's what I know now and I'm proud of the trade, even if it's not done very much anymore in the Army.

Back to the question... I'd probably go a different 91 series. 91E most likely (Allied Trades... basically a machinist). Once you are in a certain CMF it just becomes home. I couldn't imagine myself in any other field except for Maintenance.

Posts: 10 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Clearblueglare
posted Hide Post
lol, if i could do it all over again, i'd stay Marines. :} Sorry Army.

"It can't rain all the time"

Posts: 12 | Registered: 04 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
88K Watercraft Operator. I can't belive I passed that job up. I would be riding on a boat somewhere in Hawaii, Virginia or Japan.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hellz
posted Hide Post
i would not have enlisted in the Infantry and instead would have gone Signal. 25B equilavent back in 1989 when i enlisted...

would have had a better start in the IT field than what i do now.

Posts: 185 | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MattU
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KingofMinot:
88K Watercraft Operator. I can't belive I passed that job up. I would be riding on a boat somewhere in Hawaii, Virginia or Japan.

Same here. Had I known about 88K back in 2007, I would have jumped on that.

HOWEVER, if I had done that, chances are I wouldn't have two deployments under my belt, nor would I have my shiny Aviation Wings on my chest. (Yes, I AM proud of my Aviation training)

Matt

CH-47D/F Mechanic
Technical Inspector

AR 670-1/Regulation Mafia

Posts: 394 | Location: Camp Humphreys, ROK | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheCasey13F
posted Hide Post
I would have held out for 35M (my recruiter pulled a fast one on me, and didn't tell me it wasn't open until I got up to MEPS). Though at the same time, artillery has been good to me. The army is what you make it, I'd say what matters more than your MOS is how you approach it.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 22 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post