ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  MOS Questions    MOS 15S,T&U Questions.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOS 15S,T&U Questions.
 Login/Join

Picture of tr00th
posted
I am 23 and I just got out of A&P school with my licenses. I never considered joining the Army but I must say, it’s started looking good when I looked into it. I MAY look at the Army as a place to start my career. Smiler

My question is, will me having an A&P help or hurt me in getting this MOS? Confused If I sign up for it tomorrow, is this something that gets locked in for me, or can they push me out for someone else like infantry? I don't want to get stuck with something I don't like.

Aviation is my passion, I want to fix helicopters. I was looking at doing OH-58, UH-60 or CH-47 as a job if I joined. Does anyone here have any info about each of these and the pro’s and con’s of them.

I’ve done my research, but seem to be lost when it comes to finding out if my training in the civilian world will help me in the military world.

Thanks for helping a newbie, hopefully the info I get will help me pick.

Army Aviation!

Posts: 16 | Registered: 28 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tr00th
posted Hide Post
Is anyone here in the MOS I'm looking for info on? Seems like no one is using this site. I need to get more info before I join.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I am no longer in the Aviation field, but up until about a year ago I was a 15R for the previous 10 years. I decided at year 10 it was time for a career change, so I reclassed to Intel. Usually I would say that having your A&P wouldn't help you, however there is the program in the Army called ACASP. I'm not sure of the specifics for it so my recommendation to you is to google it. I think Aviation was/is a awesome field to get into with the Army. God knows people there seem to be much more normal than the people I surround myself with every day now. If your looking for real crew cheif/flight time then I would suggest either 15T or 15U. 15T's have a few more duty locations open to them, but in my personal opinion any of the jobs you listed are limited in duty locations. For my first 6 years in the Army I was stuck in the Savannah, Ga, Korea, Iraq rotation. Now I have quite a few duty locations open to me in my new MOS. If you sign for the job you are locked in for that job. If for some reason you got to AIT and failed out then it is possible you could be reclassed to needs of the Army. Sorry I don't have more indepth info for you, but typing on this little keyboard is getting old.

Posts: 42 | Location: Jacksonville Recruiting Battalion | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tr00th
posted Hide Post
Thank you for replying, I guess I need to do more homework before I make up my mind. Any more posters willing to help with opinions, please post them here. Thanks

Army Aviation!

posted Hide Post
I'm a 15W but I know a lot of mechs and they seem to enjoy their MOS for the most part, long hours can be regular business especially when deploying so be ready for that. Can't tell you a whole lot other than it's like anything else in the army and you can be tasked out to do things outside your MOS.

Posts: 275 | Registered: 17 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am a 15U Flight Engineer. The previous poster was correct in that Blackhawks have more duty stations. If station of choice is the main factor in your choice, then they are your best bet.
It's easier to get into flight on the blackhawks, but you can make an enlisted carreer out of it in the chinook community. The 15Ts tend to get pushed out when they make E6. There is no guarantee that you will go to flight, though. You have to be able to pass the physical for Non Rated Crewmembers (I think Class IV, but I'm not sure) and put in quite a bit of extra time. It can be a rewarding job though especially when deployed.
The maintenance side of the house isn't bad as they usually end up with a lot of free time and generally get promoted faster. You would have more time to take college courses and things like that.
The A&P would help you gain promotion to the more senior grades faster and you'd be more of an asset to a unit. If you have any specific questions you can PM me.

Posts: 364 | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tr00th
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the posters who have commented thus far. I'm not looking to fly in the bird, just fix it. Should they pick me to fly, that's just a bonus for me, but I'd be just as happy turning wretches all day and doing run-up and never leave the ground. I just want to use the Army as a springboard to a better lot in life, and to use it to better my own life as well.

Army Aviation!

posted Hide Post
If you don't really have a desire to fly in the bird then I would say 15R and 15S would be a better deal for you.

Posts: 42 | Location: Jacksonville Recruiting Battalion | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tr00th
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThatIs1BigZ:
If you don't really have a desire to fly in the bird then I would say 15R and 15S would be a better deal for you.

I was looking at MOS 15S, the Kiowa Warrior. It's very similar to a civilian Bell 407 helicopter, and that kind of training could really help me in the future. I read blackhawk and chinooks are hard MOS to get because most want to do them, what is the demand of the Warrior? Is it low to fair, or the same as the 'hawk?

Army Aviation!

posted Hide Post
I can't speculate on the how hard one is to get compared to the other. All I can say is speak to your recruiter and check on the availability that way. When I was an instructor at the 15R AIT we had no shortage of students coming through, that's for sure. I wouldn't rule out any specific airframe if I were you. You have never mentioned even considering 15R.I have plenty of friends who got out after their term and are making plenty of money as DoD contractors. Most of the guys I know were obviously 15R's. Point is because they were 15R's certainly didn't keep them from making very good money on the outside. You may disagree, but in the eye's of many civilian companies a rotary wing mechanic is just that. Doesn't matter the background you came from. Plus, let's be realistic here. Being a Apache mechanic is pretty dang sexy.

Picture of tr00th
posted Hide Post
True. Apaches are very sexy, the mechanics who work on them, well....LOL

But honestly, I not ruling it out, I just prefer the Warrior, Hawk and Chinook. At the end of the day, you are right, a helio mechanic is a helio mechanic. I just want to have the opportunity to maybe fly, but like I said it's not a "must have" I know AH-64 is a two pilot bird, and I've read on other forums you don't get to run the bird or test fly it with the pilot. Is this true? I know the other airframes you get to at least do run up with the pilot, which is something I want to do, did you do it with the sexy Apache? LOL

posted Hide Post
No, unless you are part of a very few and select individuals you will not do any test flights. Run-ups just kinda depend. I never did them in the states, but while deployed I did run-ups with a MTP for max power check and engine flushes. You will get alot more of that stuff with either the UH-60 or the CH/MH-47. If you can be trusted and pass the test you will do frequent APU run's on the Apache, but you will never turn blades(or should never anyways)

posted Hide Post
Even for the 47s we don't turn blades. We (flight company) motor the engines for the engine washes where they do turn a little (or a lot of your ECLs are in ground, backup power is on and fire pull handles are not pulled prior to starting the wash). I have a little stick time, but I won't say when or with which pilot and there are certainly no pictures.
Honestly I'd recommend 15T for you. It gives you an opporttunity to fly if you want and has more room for advancement than my MOS. The 47 is the fastest and most versatile rotary wing in the military's inventory, but you have crap for duty stations.

Posts: 364 | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tr00th
posted Hide Post
I think the UH-60 is going to be the main one I try to get put into, the problem comes when there aren't any slots left. I guess I'll need to wait it out, or pick another bird.

What do you mean by undesirable duty stations for the 47 compared to the 60? Aren't you all in the middle east now? Isn't it all crappy?

You guys are awesome when it comes to helping me out, I've been on other forums, not so much. Thanks again, and sorry if I seem to be asking the same questions over and over. This is a big step for anyone, and I want to make sure it's for me before I sign 6 years away to the Army.

posted Hide Post
Honestly man, I almost had a freak out when the guy told me I was going to take a 6 year hit for 15R. I told him I was gonna have to come back because i had no intention of commiting 6 years to the Army at the age of 18. Looking back that was 12 years ago and the time has went by fast and I've had a good time. Almost all your major divisions are going to have a CAB(combat aviation brigade). Some locations would be Savannah GA., Ft.Bragg N.C., Ft. Drum N.Y., Ft. Lewis has some avaition assetts(no 64's) Ft. Hood TX., Ft. Carson, CO., Ft. Campbell, KY., Germany, Korea. I'm sure there may be a couple more. 60's have more options because they're used for MEDEVAC and VIP missions. Some have a mission down in Honduras. For the most part though, you are gonna suck up some middle east deployments because aviation soldier's are some of the most heavily and frequently deployed soldier's in the Army. There is just too great a need for helo assets in combat that can't be manned at this point.