ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  MOS Questions    Becoming a Helicopter Pilot in the Army
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Becoming a Helicopter Pilot in the Army
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys, I'm interested in learning more about how to become a helicopter pilot in the Army and I figured I'd give a few forums a try. I've done some research and I know most of the general stuff about the steps to achieving my goal but I always can learn more. Here's my background info.

I'm 20 years old and about 5'9" 180 lbs.

I am a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing a degree in Geoscience and I've got about a 2.8 GPA through the fall semester of my junior year. I do plan on finishing college.

I have yet to take the AFAST or the ASVAB.

I played soccer so I'm fairly athletic and in good shape.

However, I have no prior military experience. I know that's something that's preferred. I do have an army Major who has told me he'd be willing to write me a letter of recommendation.

I understand I'm fairly early in the process but I'm wondering if any of you who are knowledgable about this subject could give me an idea of what my chances of being selected are as of right now. Any other information you could give me would also be of great value to me. Thanks guys.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Your local recruiter is your first stop.

Posts: 259 | Registered: 23 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Two options-

1. Go Commissioned Officer and request Aviaiton and *HOPE* you get it. The Army is just as likely to throw you into any other field.

2. Go Warrant Officer and you are guaranteed if you are accepted you will be a pilot IF you pass all the training. WOs get more flying hours in their career than Officers, because the "Regular" Officers get stuck doing deskwork and "leadership" stuff.

Prerequisites for Warrant Officer Aviator are here
http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/
specifically MOS 153A.

As far as selection rates- it's hard to get into either program. It's competitive, "Regular" Officer you must finish your degree first OR enlist then apply and get selected in a program which will let you finish, but that's hard as well.

You could check this site out, I found from Googling "Warrant Officer Selection Rates". https://forums.goarmy.com/thre...?start=2100&tstart=0

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post