Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOS 11M
 Login/Join

posted
Does anybody have any information about MOS 11M Fighting Vehicle Infantryman?

Posts: 31 | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sure, we know lots. You would have to be more specific though.
Are you sure the 11M is still an MOS? My memory is not quite what it used to be, but I was thinking the "M" was dropped and they are all "B" series now.

Posts: 25 | Location: NE Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Wolve
posted Hide Post
It is only 11B and 11C now, but you'll enlist as an 11X and then the Army will decide which of the two to make you, which will most likely be 11B.

Posts: 432 | Location: Fort Bragg, NC | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What is 11C and 11X? Then how do I get to work on a stryker or other vehicles?

posted Hide Post
Think of an 11X as "11 unknown". You'll go through Infantry OSUT & when you get out you'll either be an 11B (infantryman) or an 11C (mortarman) according to the needs of the service. If you can't (probably won't) get a specific MOS within the 11 series then you can list all the posts that would or could have Stryker units on your duty station preference sheet you'll get in basic. At this time the Stryker units are in a test mode, I believe, & there aren't too many of them as of yet. You could ask your recruiter if they can write a unit of choice in your contract. Still no guarantee but it's a start. Same goes for Airborne. At this time they're not adding Airborne to too many contracts. They'd like to get a look at how good an Infantryman you'll be before guaranteeing a slot at the school.
Top out.

Posts: 122 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What is the normal day of a 11B Infantryman? Thank you Top for the prior information.

posted Hide Post
[quote:674ccc6f4f="Evans"]What is 11C and 11X? Then how do I get to work on a stryker or other vehicles?[/quote:674ccc6f4f]
The Stryker units are new and unique. The Army pulled from the combat arms field to fill the slots. I know of 2 SFC 19Ks that are no longer tank PSGs, they are now Stryker PSGs, and I will not post there thoughts here!
11C is a Mortarman.
11B, from a tankers standpoint? I don't think I could post that here! You would be in the oldest branch of the Army, who is the Oldest branch of the Military! You would carry a tradition, and you would have too be, ah, yes, Straight and Stalwart!

Posts: 25 | Location: NE Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:291e3e7d64="Evans"]What is the normal day of a 11B Infantryman? Thank you Top for the prior information.[/quote:291e3e7d64]

That's totally depending on your unit, and what their priorities. I'm an 11B1P, and my unit is a small test company.

But, unless your deployed in combat.. a lot of sittin' around for the most part.

Posts: 302 | Location: Fort Bragg, NC (Iraq) | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What is Infantry OUST, and how long is it?

posted Hide Post
11 B 11 C 11 X....all infantry. Typical day in infantry. Well, you show up at 0330 for a 0630 formation for "accountability". Then you'll do PT from 0630-0730. (mainly running cuz it takes less resouces and it goes faster). Then you'll $h1t, shower and shave. You wont have time for breakfast cuz you have to do the "common" area from 0731-0850. Then at 0900, you'll have another formation. (work formation). If no work needed to be done. Youll got to your room (if you live in the B's) and play Nintendo. You'll do that until 1130. From 1130-1300, youll go to lunch. Then at 1300-1630 youll play more Nintendo. And at 1630 you'll have a "release" formation. (since someone forgot to tell you that there something that needs to be done before you go home, you have to stay there) Then the real work begins from 1630-2359.

That was my typical day.

Oh yeah, you go to field trips (NTC,JRTC, YTC) ranges, and go old "walks" (i.e. roadmarches)

Well, have fun.

PS... Strykers are over rated. (who wants to get out of their vehicles just to load another 200 rds of .50 cal?)

Posts: 8 | Location: World Wide | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It is sad that all the replies are negative. I did the long days, waiting for the word, and sitting around, but the Infantry is one of the most rewarding jobs in the Infantry. As a CSM used to say "Either your Infantry or Infatry support". Which would you rather be. There will never be a war fought that doesn't require the Infantryman to conduct operations. Stryker is the wave of the future, get used to it, it ain't going no where. There is already a Brigade deployed in Iraq, and two more are being converted in Alaska and Hawaii. The other two are in Fort Lewis, Washington.

With the new Force Modification Model, all Divisions will have basically four brigades (approx 3500) and all support elements will be assigned, not attached, to them. This will make for a better well rounded fighting force, because all personnel will train together on a regular basis.

If you go infantry, good luck, it is a tough life sometimes but well worth it. By the way, I am Infantryman, and have been for the past 19 and 1/2 years. I have served with 82nd, 75th, 501st Airborne in Alaska, 509th Airborne at Fort Polk, Louisiana, and am currently at the Sergeants Major Academy.

Matthew West
MSG, USA
Peer Mentor
Squad-leader.com

Posts: 2 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: 14 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Evans,
That's [i:e0cdf04449]OSUT[/i:e0cdf04449]. Stands for One Station Unit Training. What that means is your basic training & MOS school are combined. Infantry OSUT is 16 weeks or so. That includes Basic & Infantry school as a seamless course of study. I believe the last time I noticed that all of the combat arms basics are OSUT; Armor, Field Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry. I'm sure there's others. Soldiers entering the Army as combat support or service support will take basic at one place & AIT at another.
Top out.

Posts: 122 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Are there specific traits that the Drill Sergants look for when they decide whether a recruit will be 11B or 11C?

Posts: 1 | Location: CA | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
it doesnt go on what the drill sgt wants...its just luck of the draw... most 11x become 11b, but every few cycles the whole unit or a few platoons will be mortarmen...

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post