ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Bonuses    Active First Bonus Recoupmetn Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Active First Bonus Recoupmetn Question
 Login/Join

posted
I joined the ARNG though the Active First Program. I was told that I would serve 48 months on active duty and receive a bonus for that, and then serve 2 years in the ARNG and receive a bonus for that.
I have served my 48 months active, with an additional 6 month extension, and I have received that bonus. I am currently serving in the USAR (apparently ARNG and USAR in this case are interchangeable according to the retention officer who assigned me to my unit), and have been for 6 months. This puts my total service time at 5 years. I have not received any bonus for being in the USAR.
What I want to know is if any of my bonus will be recouped if I transfer into the IRR.
Being apart of my current unit is causing severe economic hardship, and is severely clashing with my school schedule.
I have not received a straight answer from anyone, and am really hoping that someone out there can give me a clear answer from supportable sources. Thanks

Posts: 6 | Registered: 25 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jacksbrzez, I actually enlisted through this very same National Guard Active First Program back in 2008. I enlisted for a total of 8 yrs. 4 active/ 4 National Guard, for a total bonus of $60,000 (in which I didnt receive $20,000 of it due to extending on Active duty a year). Hate to break the bad news but in order for you to have received the other $20,000 you needed to go back after your "ACTIVE" duty tour was up and drill with the National Guard Unit that was put down on your enlistment contract that you signed at MEPS. If not then the bonus becomes "void", hence thats why they called it "National Guard Active First", at the time there were a shortage of troops for certain National Guard MOS.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 18 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
I thought when you go active first for the National Guard is because you will return to the Guard and not go into the Army Reserves. If active first meant that you go into any Reserve Component to receive the bonus; then I retract my statement but what does your contract state?

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
I posted my response before I saw Ram's and he confirmed my thoughts on the subject. You shot yourself in the foot by going USAR Wink

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
To be honest I don't even want the other 20,000. And I am realizing that the retention officer who enlisted me in the Reserves really wasn't very up front with me whatsoever.
My Reserve contract says nothing about active first or anything of that nature.
My active first contract says nothing at all about the Reserves.(If you look at all three they all look like completely different contracts, is pretty strange.)
I just want to make sure that the 40,000 I have already received on active duty will not be recouped if I transfer out of the Reserves and into the IRR.
Thanks for the help.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ram229:
Jacksbrzez, I actually enlisted through this very same National Guard Active First Program back in 2008.

That does add some clarification as to why I did not receive the additional 20,000. And to be honest, (as I stated above) I don't want it.
I just want to make sure that the 40,000 that I received while on active duty will not be recouped if I transfer from the Reserves into the IRR.
Thanks for the information!
If it helps heres a breakdown of the contracts;
Contract 1: 8 years ARNG signed at MEPS, before Basic.
Contract 2: 48 months active/24 months ARNG. 40000/20000. Signed after Basic, before AIT.
Contract 3: Extension for Active duty for a deployment.
Contract 4: Reserve contract to finish out my MSO (3 years) in the USAR. (No bonus, no mention of active first.)
Thanks for any help you can give!