ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Bonuses    Career Status Bonus (CSB) - $30,000
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Career Status Bonus (CSB) - $30,000
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I currently have 16 years of active duty and never received notification of the CSB. I have never seen an email or been counseled about the program. I have never submitted a DD 2839 electing to receive or declining the bonus. Does anyone know if I am still eligible to submit for the bonus, or is it to late?

Picture of JMW3CC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nimbus3215:
I currently have 16 years of active duty and never received notification of the CSB. I have never seen an email or been counseled about the program. I have never submitted a DD 2839 electing to receive or declining the bonus. Does anyone know if I am still eligible to submit for the bonus, or is it to late?
You can still elect to take th CSB, but you'll receive a lower rate than the $30,000 now. Depending where you are, some installations have a monthly brief about the CSB and some you just have to go to the finance office. Once you get the DD 2839, you have to be counseled by a LTC (usually your Bn Cdr) who signs the form in three places along with your signature in a few places. Check with your local finance office.

Posts: 681 | Location: ARMY WIDE | Registered: 10 February 2009Report This Post

posted Hide Post
So with the New RCP message I need some clarification.
I am currently a SGT(P)[Long Story] and will hit my 15yrs on 18 Jun 11. Am I still eligible for the CSB if I get it approved an turned into finance prior to 1 Jun 11? I can not seem to get a definative answer on this.

Picture of EL Jefe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ol sarge:
I am currently a SGT(P)[Long Story] and will hit my 15yrs on 18 Jun 11. Am I still eligible for the CSB if I get it approved an turned into finance prior to 1 Jun 11? I can not seem to get a definative answer on this.

Wow, interesting situation. Based of the message I am reading on the RCP, I am going to have to say no. You need to talk to your Retention NCO and find out if you will be out of the Army after the new RCP guidance starts June 1st. I would find that out first before working on the CSB. If retention says you will be in longer and not be forced out of the military than have more time to work on your promotion. I just recieved my CSB a couple of months ago and you can still apply for it, 6 months after your 15 year anniversary, or even longer after that depending on when you recieve the mandatory brief on the CSB which is usually 6 months before 15 yrs of service. Get with you retention and find out exactly how you are affected by the message. If you fall under the June 1st guidance than it looks like you are out unless you get promoted. What is you MOS and what is taking you so long to get promoted to SSG. Will the new promotion system help you or hurt you?

posted Hide Post
Nobody gets "kicked out" because of the new RCP. On June 1st, if you ae past RCP you will serve until your ETS. You will not be afforded the opportunity to reenlist.

Posts: 45 | Location: Office | Registered: 10 March 2011Report This Post

Picture of JMW3CC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ol sarge:
When is your current ETS date? If your current ETS date takes you past 18 years in service, then you are good. You serve until RCP or contractual ETS date. Once over 18 years, you can submit your retirement packet to get out at 20 years.

Have you thought about what you are doing with the CSB? Taking the CSB reduces your retirement by 10%, figuring if you retire at 40 and live the average life span of 76. You are losing around $325,000 in retirement benefits.

Use the CSB calculator to figure your retirement and decide whether its a good idea or not.
http://militarypay.defense.gov...t/calc/03_redux.html

posted Hide Post
Current ETS 03 Oct 15, takes me to 19yrs 03mths and 16 days. Actually have thought a great deal about the Pros and Cons of the CSB. My children's education and clearing up some financial missteps have me leanig more to taking CSB then waiting for retirement to pay me off in the long run.

I will definately take a look at the calculator before I make a final decision.

posted Hide Post
So after many days of research and deliberation me and my wife have decided on taking the CSB. However I was never notified by HRC, My DIEMS was 18 Jun 95, Do I have to wait for notification, or can I fill out the paperwork on my own? Should my S1 be able to help me fill this form out correctly? Does my BN Career counselor have any role in completing or filling out this paperwork? As always thank you for your time and responses.

Picture of JMW3CC
posted Hide Post
I've only helped two Soldiers with this, the form is easy to fill out. You have to be counseled by a LTC, who signs the form in three places. Then you can turn it in to finance for processing.

posted Hide Post
Anyone know on average how long it takes to recieve payment of the CSB, one person her has told me it may take up to 90 days from my 15yr mark others have told me they recieved payment 10 days after the 15yr mark. Can anyone who recieved it recently while deployed tell me how long it took them to recieve it. Need a good timeline to tell my wife so she won't worry that the Army finance lost the paperwork.

posted Hide Post
Is the CSB available to Officers also?

"Without Struggle, No Progress"
(Jackson 1:1)

"When your ready to quit, your 1/2 way there"
(Jackson 1:2)

"If you think you're a leader, but no one is following you, then your just out for a walk"
(Jackson 1:3)

A truly wise person uses few words; a person
With understanding is even-tempered.
Even fools are thought to be wise when they keep silent; when they keep their mouths shut,
They seem intelligent.
(Proverbs 17:27-28)

Posts: 1 | Location: Ft Leonardwood | Registered: 22 June 2011Report This Post

Picture of ReUp63
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the CSB available to Officers also?

Yes Sir, refer to Military Pay E-Message 07-028
Fill out the DD Form 2839, have the first O-5 in the chain of command(or his/her designee) sign it and take it to finance no more than 10 days prior to the 15 year mark (paragraph 18). Paragraph 3 lists the methods of verifying Service. Paragraph 17.c authorizes the O-5 to name a designee.

All this being said, remeber a gallon of gas costs about 79 cents when this came out and has never been adjusted for inflation.

Career Counselor (Retired)

Picture of Lab Rat
posted Hide Post
What if I die, or separated/retired as a result of a physical disability? Will recoupment of funds be waived by the government?

Picture of Lab Rat
posted Hide Post
Will I have to pay back any money I I die or if I'm seperated due to medical disability?

Picture of ReUp63
posted Hide Post
quote:
Military Pay E-Message 07-028

99.9% sure the answer is no recoupment, but I'll quote the message when I get back to work Monday.

Why am I even on here on a Saturday? I really need to egt a life!

Career Counselor (Retired)