ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Uniforms, Awards and Decorations    Wear of regimental crest/unit of assignment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wear of regimental crest/unit of assignment
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to help out some fellow soldiers (and it would be nice to know as well, since I am attending the board in a little over a week), and one raised a good question.

The soldier is a quartermaster soldier (in a signal company, ultimately supporting an aviation brigade), so I informed him that as of AR 670-1, he would wear the *branch insignia* of his PMOS, which is quartermaster. Simple enough.

He then asked, since we are in a signal company, would he wear the Signal regiment crest above his name tag? I can't find anything saying he would wear that. As far as I can tell, he'd wear the quartermaster crest, but I'm not sure. This is all I found:

AR 670-1 28-23 section 3, page 246:

The RDI and DUI (distinctive unit insignia) will be the same for soldiers who are assigned to, or affiliated with the same unit. Soldiers who are assigned to a unit or agency not authorized a DUI will wear the RDI on the beret and the black pullover sweater in lieu of a DUI

Reading that makes me wonder, though. I just want to steer this guy in the right direction. I appreciate any input anyone can give me.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm

Posts: 67 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 17 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
he would wear the quartermaster. I am in an MI unit and we had a class B inspection and they said I had to wear the MI RDI. I found where it said I would wear my MOS RDI which would be Ordnance. I will try and find it again and tell you where its at.

Posts: 208 | Location: Schofield Barracks, HI | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mrock444:
I am trying to help out some fellow soldiers (and it would be nice to know as well, since I am attending the board in a little over a week), and one raised a good question.

The soldier is a quartermaster soldier (in a signal company, ultimately supporting an aviation brigade), so I informed him that as of AR 670-1, he would wear the *branch insignia* of his PMOS, which is quartermaster. Simple enough.

He then asked, since we are in a signal company, would he wear the Signal regiment crest above his name tag? I can't find anything saying he would wear that. As far as I can tell, he'd wear the quartermaster crest, but I'm not sure. This is all I found:

AR 670-1 28-23 section 3, page 246:

The RDI and DUI (distinctive unit insignia) will be the same for soldiers who are assigned to, or affiliated with the same unit. Soldiers who are assigned to a unit or agency not authorized a DUI will wear the RDI on the beret and the black pullover sweater in lieu of a DUI

Reading that makes me wonder, though. I just want to steer this guy in the right direction. I appreciate any input anyone can give me.

You misquoted 670-1. It reads "The RDI and DUI will be the same for soldiers who are assigned to, and affiliated with the same unit." What that means is that if one's unit of assignment and regimental affiliation are the same, then the RDI and DUI will match.

If a soldier is assigned to a unit with that s/he is not regimentally affiliated, s/he wears hir regimental affiliation. AR 670-1, 28-23(1).

Your soldier would wear quartermaster RDI.

I can't think of an occasion where a non-combat arms soldier would wear anything but hir branch RDI.

"What we see from our tower is for us to know and for you to find out."--The S-2

Posts: 657 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 21 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you both alaskaviper and IntelSergeant. I did misquote AR 670-1. I went back and double checked, and sure enough, I did.

I will be sure to pass the information along. I guess I was just reading too much into it. Thanks again!

SPC G

Success consists of going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm

Posts: 67 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 17 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Also check his ERB, if his ERB states he is affiliated with his Branch then he can wear it, in Korea I started seeing Soldiers and NCOs not wearing it right above their nametag and when I asked why they were "missing it" they said they were not affiliated with their Branch and it wasnt it on their ERB so they couldnt wear it.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3939 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SatcomSoldier
posted Hide Post
The distinctive unit insignia (DUI) is worn on the shoulder boards of the class A jacket and on the flash of the beret. You can only wear the Signal Corps RDI if you were awarded a signal MOS. Combat arms soldiers aren't affiliated with any specific branch, so on their class A jacket they wear the DUI in place of the RDI unless they apply for and are awarded affiliation with a specific branch.

Posts: 126 | Location: Fort Gordon, Georgia | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MeanGreen
posted Hide Post
i got a question...

for my Commissioning ceremony do i wear my branch?...
i havent been to AIT for it though......

"You can win a fight with the armor BS...but a war without infantry? You pussies might as well surrender now"-CPT Tom Amos, 101st Airborne Division

Posts: 44 | Location: Fort. Drum/ Hometown:Raleigh, NC | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of jgarner
posted Hide Post
mean green...i have always understood that you will wear the u.s. insignia until the completion of i.e.t., however i am not sure if that is different for officers...hope that helps a little

I am a soldier, I fight where I'm told, and win where I fight.

Posts: 222 | Location: FORT LEAVENWORTH, KS | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Actually Infantry (and some other combat arms) are a little different than SatCom said.

You wear the unit your assigned to or the Regiment that you are affiliated with. to receive Regimental affiliation (look at the left side of your ERB) you contact your branch manager. You are typically affiliated with the first unit you deploy with or during peace time any unit that happens to mean something to you.

Posts: 44 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dog Robber
posted Hide Post
Mean Green:

Sir:

I have seen new 2LT's here at my school wear their branch insignia on thier labels but I might wait to wear your RDI over your nameplate until you actually qualify in your branch...

Posts: 126 | Location: University of Iowa | Registered: 30 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I meant right side of your ERB (left if you are wearing it)

Posts: 44 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of acftgrunt
posted Hide Post
Here is a bit of information from AR 614-200 Enlisted Assignments concerning Regimental Affiliation. Granted this mainly seems like it is directed to soldiers after Reclassification.

3–19. Regimental affiliation
Combat Arms (CA) Soldiers reclassified to non–combat MOSs and vice versa must change their regimental affiliation to coincide with their new MOS. However, they may remain assigned to a battalion of the original regiment if a vacancy exists in the new MOS.

But try checking AR 600-82 and this will help determine which RDUI you and your soldiers are authorized.

The U.S. Army Regimental System

Posts: 93 | Location: WAAF, HI | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ASENCO
posted Hide Post
Now I might be wrong here but if you want to wear a different RDI you have to do up a 4187 and send it in, your first COL can ok, and then it should (butnever does) show up on your ERB, if it doesnt take it to your S-1 or where ever you update your ERB and show them your orders showing your new RDI. Now somethings change so if I am wrong let me know.

also acftgrunt do you have a ""Roll me a fatty"" bumber sticker from Killer Taco's?

Posts: 100 | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:
Also check his ERB, if his ERB states he is affiliated with his Branch then he can wear it, in Korea I started seeing Soldiers and NCOs not wearing it right above their nametag and when I asked why they were "missing it" they said they were not affiliated with their Branch and it wasnt it on their ERB so they couldnt wear it.

Section X right above date of last photo.

Posts: 319 | Location: Iraq | Registered: 13 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of acftgrunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASENCO:
also acftgrunt do you have a ""Roll me a fatty"" bumber sticker from Killer Taco's?

I can honestly say "Nope" but have ate there once.

Posts: 93 | Location: WAAF, HI | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post