ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Uniforms, Awards and Decorations    Wearing the CAB and EFMB at the same time?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wearing the CAB and EFMB at the same time?
 Login/Join

Picture of Bandit One Three
posted
I know this is authorized.. But doesnt it make you go WTF! In my mind it doesn't make sense, but I know our medic CSM purposely put all the medics in for CAB's instead of CMB. Yes they qualified for the CMB, but put them in for CAB's for the extra badge. Just seems fubar to me... But it made sense to somebody i guess.

No one is more professional than I.

Posts: 8 | Location: Vicenza Italy | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
The way I understand it is a CMB is authorized if a medic is actively engaged in ground combat while performing medical care i.e. being shot at will applying a pressure bandage. However only medics can receive this badge. A CAB would be authorized for all MOS's being engaged in active ground combat with the exception of Infantry and Medics because they have their own combat badges. The area of confusion is if a Medic were to be engaged in active ground combat but not while performing medical care, would they still qualify for a CMB. If not, wouldn't the fact that they were actively engaged in ground combat be deserving of a CAB?I'll take a look at the reg, and try to see if there's any clarity on it.

Posts: 580 | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
The below link is another thread on this topic in this forum.

http://community.armystudyguid...261056041/m/76710454

Only a few in our populace may experience the awarding of different combat badges based on their deployments.

In my case, I could not get a second CAB because Iraq and Afghanistan are considered the same theater. I received my CAB in Iraq and when I experienced it again in Afghanistan, the award memo was just given to members in my unit that did not have a CAB. I was told that since it was already on my records, it was not necessary to process it in my case. My point is that badges do not tell one's true service nor should it ever be and the CAB/EFMB is ludicrous because it wants to show more of someone's service and using a loophole to do so.

I hope the approval authority for your CSM will make a sensible decision in warranting approval for the CAB for medics. Just because the CSM wants to stack himself and others; sounds like badge hunting to me. Because I know many non-medics who have the EFMB (70 series officers and enlisted in medical support MOS -e.g. PAD officers/clerks). For those that do not have an EFMB, did he put them in for a regular CMB? Wishy-washy.

Anyway, I have witnessed an infantry brigade commander put everyone on the FOB for a CAB because it received 10 rockets in a row. Many were nowhere near the impact but received a CAB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B...e_United_States_Army <--shows the level of badges

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It's really simple, one is for performing medical care while under fire and one is for MOSs other than Infantry who encounter direct or indirect contact.

A medic can earn a CMB and a CAB, and no I don't go WTF when I see the combination of a CAB and EFMB.

Posts: 468 | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Also the CMB, you must be in a infantry or attached to an infantry unit according to the reg. I qualified in 08 for the CMB however since I was in a Military Police Unit I did not recive one and instead recieved a CAB.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 28 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Also the CMB, you must be in a infantry or attached to an infantry unit according to the reg. I qualified in 08 for the CMB however since I was in a Military Police Unit I did not recive one and instead recieved a CAB.

That's not true.

As of 9/11/2001, as a Medic, you need to be assigned to, attached, or fall under operational control of a ground Combat Arms unit.

Infantry, Armor/Cav, Artillery, Combat Engineers ( Aviation doesn't cut it because it needs to be ground)

Reference - Military Awards AR 600-8-22

MP is Combat/Maneuver Support

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
I was an MP and had a female medic on my squad and I swore she earned her CMB while we received CABs. But again, this was 2005. I cannot recall. We were brigade MPs attached to an infantry regiment in Hawijah, Iraq on FOB McHenry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Medical_Badge

2005 article

http://www.stripes.com/news/co...n-for-medics-1.39042

Because, since its creation in the dying days of World War II, the CMB has been reserved for medics serving alongside infantry troops. Army regulations exclude combat medics from aviation units, forward support battalions, military police and air and ground ambulance companies from earning the CMB.

"Getting the badge anyway

Some female medics sense a whiff of sexism in the current rules. Spc. Sadie Harrison, 23, of the 557th Medical Company, spent more than half of her yearlong deployment attached to TF 1-7. Her ambulance once got hit by a roadside bomb, and she has treated patients under fire countless times.

Technically, she’s ineligible because women aren’t allowed to serve in combat units. But Cole nominated her for the CMB, and eventually she got it."

MP is/was combat support; not combat arms. There is a new term for combat support; I cant remember it now. I know these are some; sustainment, fires, maneuver, and maneuver support

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
MP falls under Maneuver Support

posted Hide Post
"On or after 18 September 2001: medical personnel assigned or attached to or under operational control of any combat arms or combat aviation unit of brigade or smaller size, who has satisfactorily performed medical duties while the unit is engaged in active ground combat, provided they are personally present and under fire. Retroactive awards under these criteria are not authorized for service prior to 18 September 2001."

Look, plain and simple it depends on who's operational control you fall under.

I was medic in Iraq with the MP's who fell under the 89th Military Police Brigade. I treated in combat, but could not recieve the CMB because the brigade is considered Combat Maneuver/Support and cannot approve such an award, and hence I was awarded the CAB.

My Second Deployment, still with the MP's we were under the operational control of 2-12 4ID. I treated while in combat, and since we were under a brigade that was allowed to award the CMB, I was awarded the CMB. On the flip side my Soldier was in Combat with the MP's but did not treat, all of the MP's recieved CAB's, but my medic received nothing.

I am proud of both badges, I just think the CMB should precede the CAB when worn on the uniform.

Check out this link, it has all the Q&A you want directly from HRC.

https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/...edical%20Badge%20CMB

Posts: 1 | Registered: 14 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
"On or after 18 September 2001: medical personnel assigned or attached to or under operational control of any combat arms or combat aviation unit of brigade or smaller size, who has satisfactorily performed medical duties while the unit is engaged in active ground combat, provided they are personally present and under fire. Retroactive awards under these criteria are not authorized for service prior to 18 September 2001."Look, plain and simple it depends on who's operational control you fall under.

Did you not read the previous posts to see this has already been answered.

Picture of Bandit One Three
posted Hide Post
I guess the New AR 670-1 has solved the mystery, you may only wear one badge from group 1 or group 2... finally somebody made sense!

No one is more professional than I.

Posts: 8 | Location: Vicenza Italy | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post