Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overseas service bars
 Login/Join

posted
Question in regards to overseas service bars. I have been trying to find out if I am eligible to wear 3 overseas service bars on my ASUs.

I have the following on my erb

Start-End date 20110518 - 20111003 IZ 5 MO
Start-End date 20090106 - 20091226 IZ 12 MO

C 2 M 17

I have read certain places that a day over there counts as a month when you compute totals. I do not want to wear three when it says 17 MO on my ERB(for obvious reasons), would this be something I could get changed?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 14 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
So you did 5 months for New Dawn in 2011 and your S1 did not provide you with a memo for what you rate? Anyway, the answer is simple since a bar equates to six months so three bars means you were at least deployed for 18 months and you have 17 months so stick with two until you do another month deployed since you really did not complete 5 months by those dates.

Posts: 1662 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of erikwithak86
posted Hide Post
You should rate three total. One for the last one there, and two for your first tour.

AR 670-1 para. 28-28 d. says this...

(13) One overseas service bar is authorized for each 6–month period of Federal service as a member of a U.S. Service participating in Operation Iraqi Freedom, the CENTCOM area of operations, or under the control of the Combatant Commander, CENTCOM, from 19 March 2003 to a date to be determined. The months of arrival to, and departure from the CENTCOM area of operations are counted as whole months.

I bolded the part that applies. Basically, it looks like you left on October 3rd. Even though you were only there for three days of that month, as far as Overseas Service Bars are concerned it counts as a full month. AR 670-1 hasn't been updated with New Dawn, but there's no reason to believe it won't stay the same.

Your S1 can change the block that says 17 to 18 as long as you have the info to back it up.

Posts: 707 | Registered: 18 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erikwithak86:
You should rate three total. One for the last one there, and two for your first tour.

AR 670-1 para. 28-28 d. says this...

(13) One overseas service bar is authorized for each 6–month period of Federal service as a member of a U.S. Service participating in Operation Iraqi Freedom, the CENTCOM area of operations, or under the control of the Combatant Commander, CENTCOM, from 19 March 2003 to a date to be determined. The months of arrival to, and departure from the CENTCOM area of operations are counted as whole months.

I bolded the part that applies. Basically, it looks like you left on October 3rd. Even though you were only there for three days of that month, as far as Overseas Service Bars are concerned it counts as a full month. AR 670-1 hasn't been updated with New Dawn, but there's no reason to believe it won't stay the same.

Your S1 can change the block that says 17 to 18 as long as you have the info to back it up.

The days above show the amount of days you were deployed and assists with computing dwell time as well.

The amount of days that you served in theater were 138 days not 180 but from what Erik is showing; if you arrived in theater on the last day of May and left theater on the first day of October; that will count as six months; even though I am still leary to believe that was the case. 138 days are 42 days (42 days is almost one month and a half) short of 180 and that is why I said you did not even have 5 good months. I could of accept that third bar if you were heading to your 6 month instead but you did not even go into your 5 month of deployment. You just did 4.5 months of deployment. I know the regs differ in many aspects of deployment awards and pays so this is a good area of focus. Pay has changed in which I use to get the who month of hazardous duty pay even if I served one day for the month but now everything is pro-rated. We had Soldiers leave theater much earlier than 9 months and they do not earn the OSR for their deployment that is why I feel a clear memo from your S1 will let you know what you earned for your deployment.

This is what I received from my S1 on my last two deployments and this is why I said; this will confirm as to what you rate on your uniform. And I do not think that S1 cannot manipulate 17 to 18 if you were not in theater for 18 months. That has nothing to do with linking with oversea service bars computation.

This is the one I received recently in which I was in theater for more than 260 since I was stuck in Manas longer than I should Wink

I have 5 and not even looking for a three-month deployment so I can pay money to put 6 on my uniform. Wink But the memorandums that I was given; provides the documentation on what I rate to wear on my uniform.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheWiseChief,

posted Hide Post
I have not received any memorandum since I came back a month early for emergency leave and being on rear d for a short time. Didn't receive any tour awards either since I fell off the radar but I'm not to worried about that. So I'm authorized to wear 3 when my erb says 17 months? That just doesn't sound right.

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
The ribbon falls under different criteria than the bars on the sleeve- you must complete a "full" tour to be eligible to add the ribbon or numbers to it.

AR 600-8-22 Military Awards (search "overseas service")
AR 614-30 Overseas Service has criteria in Appendix D for tours.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray111718:
I have not received any memorandum since I came back a month early for emergency leave and being on rear d for a short time. Didn't receive any tour awards either since I fell off the radar but I'm not to worried about that. So I'm authorized to wear 3 when my erb says 17 months? That just doesn't sound right.

Regs are the regs.. Wink

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm tracking on not being able to add numbers to the OSR as I was not there more than 9 months. I will try to see s1 to change the total number to 18, thanks for the help!

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray111718:

Do not worry about the ERB. Just talk to your leadership and/or S1 and confirm that if you entered theater in May and left in October; does that count as 6 months in theater to rate another overseas service bar. If they say no; provide the blurb from what Erik provided and see what they say. When I first answered your question, I counted from May to June as 1 month in theater; then June to July as 2; July the August as 3; August to September as 4 and September to October as 5 but you did not even reach October 16th to hit your 5th month which is what your ERB accurately reflects.

Erik provided the regulation information that appears to count your months as such for the combat stripe as
May - 1
June - 2
July - 3
August -4
September -5
October -6.

If that is the case; then you do but I will confirm with your S1. Like Auto stated, regs are regs. It is just like the Soldier who wears a combat patch and was combat deployed for just two weeks in his/her military career. Regardless if it is a week or 3 years; you rate/deserve the combat patch.

BTW, I never received a memo for my Iraq service in 05/06 but those times S1s were still learning since we were at war again. Smiler

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:

This is the one I received recently in which I was in theater for more than 260 since I was stuck in Manas longer than I should Wink

Does your time stop when you hit Manas/Kuwait or does it stop when you hit the US? For example, say you leave afghan on march 29 and reach Ft Bliss on Apr 2 -- do you get credit for April?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hughhoney:
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:

Does your time stop when you hit Manas/Kuwait or does it stop when you hit the US? For example, say you leave afghan on march 29 and reach Ft Bliss on Apr 2 -- do you get credit for April?

Your S1 should give you the proper dates during your time in theater. But your time in Manas and Kuwait counts as time in theater until your card is swiped for the return flight stateside.