New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airborne tab with SSI-FWTS
 Login/Join

Picture of MattU
posted Hide Post
ALARACT 435-2011 came out recently and has a lot of people very pissed. HQDA decided which units are still authorized the "Airborne" Tab. It is what it is...

quote:
ALARACT 435/2011
DTG: R 301357Z NOV 11
THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT BY THE PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS CENTER ON BEHALF OF DA WASHINGTON DC//DAPE-HRI//

SUBJECT: UNITS AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE AIRBORNE TAB WITH THE SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA

1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO CLARIFY THE POLICY FOR WEAR OF THE AIRBORNE TAB.

2. THE SAPPER, RANGER, SPECIAL FORCES AND PRESIDENT'S HUNDRED TABS ARE THE ONLY SPECIAL SKILL OR MARKSMANSHIP TABS AUTHORIZED FOR PERMANENT WEAR. THE AIRBORNE TAB IS CONSIDERED AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA (SSI). AIRBORNE TABS ARE ONLY AUTHORIZED TO BE WORN ABOVE THE SSI IF ASSIGNED TO ONE OF THE UNITS BELOW:

18TH AVIATION BRIGADE
82D AIRBORNE DIVISION
95TH CIVIL AFFAIRS BRIGADE
101ST AIRBORNE DIVISION
173D AIRBORNE BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM
360TH CIVIL AFFAIRS BRIGADE
528TH SUSTAINMENT BRIGADE
JOINT READINESS TRAINING CENTER OPERATIONS GROUP & HEADQUARTERS
SPECIAL FORCES GROUPS (AIRBORNE)
US ARMY CIVIL AFFAIRS & PSYCHOLOGICAL COMMAND
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND AFRICA
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND CENTRAL
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND EUROPE
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND KOREA
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND PACIFIC
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND SOUTH
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND, JOINT FORCES COMMAND
US ARMY ELEMENT, US SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
US ARMY JOHN F. KENNEDY SPECIAL WARFARE CENTER
US ARMY PARACHUTE TEAM
US ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
XVIII AIRBORNE CORPS

3. WEAR OF THE AIRBORNE TAB WITH ANY OTHER SSI IS NOT AUTHORIZED. REQUEST COMMANDERS ENSURE THAT POLICY FOR WEAR IS ADHERED TO, AND ANY UNIT OR SOLDIER NOT AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE AIRBORNE TAB REMOVES IT.

4. HQDA POC FOR UNIFORM WEAR POLICY IS SGM JAMES A. MCGRUDER, JAMES.MCGRUDER@CONUS.ARMY.MIL , DSN 664-0620, (703) 604-0620.

Matt

CH-47D/F Mechanic
Technical Inspector

AR 670-1/Regulation Mafia

Posts: 394 | Location: Camp Humphreys, ROK | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattU:
ALARACT 435-2011 came out recently and has a lot of people very pissed. HQDA decided which units are still authorized the "Airborne" Tab. It is what it is...

Like I was saying though, Matt, is that the ALARACT only specifies SSI and does not mention SSI-FWTS, which is where a lot of soldiers are confused as to whether or not they can wear the airborne tab with their SSI-FWTS is their unit was airborne when they deployed and before this ALARACT came out, like in my case.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
E-mail SGM McGruder.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was curious if you received a final answer on this question. My unit deployed and fell under the 82nd Sustainment BDE in 2010/2011. At the time they wore the airborne tab and award my units SSI-FWTS with the tab as well. Since the ALARACT was issued I've see throught my state some wearing and some not. And the confusion of the ALARACT only stating SSI and not the SSI-FWTS has a lot of us wanting a confirmed answer with a reg backing it up. Again I'm one who followed the ALARACT and removed my tab so its not a big deal. I just want to know what is right and what is wrong if I were to correct another Soldier.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 20 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I personally haven't - I think that the best thing would be to just email the G1 for Uniform Policy, and just ask if the policy applies to the SSI-FWTS as well, specifically in the case where a unit lost its status after a deployment. My thought, however, is that the email may not be responded to, as is sometimes the case when you email someone in the Army.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 07 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of WIT
posted Hide Post
if you wear it as n SSI why would you not be authorized to wear it as a SSI-FWTS.

You dont wear the tab because you are airboned qualified, you wear your wings for that.

you wear the tab because its part of the patch, wearing an 18 abn corps patch without the tab is out of regs even if you are wearing it on the right shoulder.

If you see your EOD tech running.. you better keep up.

Posts: 53 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 18 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WIT:
if you wear it as n SSI why would you not be authorized to wear it as a SSI-FWTS.

You dont wear the tab because you are airboned qualified, you wear your wings for that.

you wear the tab because its part of the patch, wearing an 18 abn corps patch without the tab is out of regs even if you are wearing it on the right shoulder.

WIT,

You need to understand that for every patch; it does not correlate to an automatic SSI-FWTS.

Case in point, with a unit that I deployed downrange. They are 30th MEDCOM; which was a brigade, then transformed to a command; now has reverted back to a brigade. Here is their patch.

http://history.amedd.army.mil/...ages/units/30th.html

Now one of their subordinate units are a team (67th FST= Forward Surgical Team); not a company level organization. Here is their page

http://www.army.mil/article/68...idon_for_deployment/

http://www.army.mil/article/70...-team-goes-airborne/

It is the same patch as ours except it has an airborne tab on it.

In the below pic, you see the photo of a Soldier in multicam from the 67th wear it with the airborne tab; then in the grey ACU, you see it without the TAB on the SSI-FWTS (combat patch).

They were told, they could not wear the airborne tab (their patch) because it was due to their unit level and that they fell under 30th MEDCOM while deployed. I had to correct some who were wearing it with their airborne tab on their right sleeve (mainly field grade doctors because they are direct commish and do not know better. Wink )

Can you see how certain situations are not cut and dry and may differ?

Here I am with my team in Afghanistan when I was with the 30th.

We had Soldiers from the 44th attached to us.

The person you are responding to is referring to this.

http://www.greenberetcd.com/images/d-55.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8...igade_(United_States)

Again, can you see the difference?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheWiseChief,

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of WIT
posted Hide Post
That's interesting, and I see your point Chief. Thank you for the clarification and now I learned something new!

If you see your EOD tech running.. you better keep up.

Posts: 53 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 18 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post