ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Uniforms, Awards and Decorations    wearing BDU pants with civilian clothes?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wearing BDU pants with civilian clothes?
 Login/Join

Picture of Hooker47
posted
Like most soldiers, I am now fully stocked up on my ACU's and I don't wear the BDU uniform on duty anymore.

As the army phases out the BDU's, I find I have a closet full of uniforms I'm not doing anything with. Is it acceptable to wear BDU pants with civilian clothes while off duty? I see plenty of BDU knock-off pants being sold at the mall and other places. I like to wear an old pair of BDU pants as I would jeans with sneakers and a t-shirt on the weekends. I have not been able to find a reg or any information dealing with this anywhere.

If anyone has any insight to this issue, please post up.

Press on!

Posts: 2 | Location: Ft. Lewis, heading to Rucker soon | Registered: 14 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ReconByAir
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's under AR-act like a soldier/professional 24/7. There's nothing, nothing I hate more, than seeing someone anywhere off duty and being able to tell from 300 feet away that they're a soldier just by the unprofessional way they dress in civilian clothes. If you want to walk around your house wearin BDUs, the Army can't really tell you otherwise, but when you're in the public eye, it's too easy to tell if you're a soldier or not. Try to present off a respectable image and dress like a normal person. The only people wearing BDU pants in public these days are privates who think it's 'cool' and billyjoe bob from the backwoods.

-WO1 Pringle

Posts: 35 | Location: Ft Rucker, AL | Registered: 06 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RedLeg81
posted Hide Post
Who is to say what is professional and whats not? Are we to wear Khakis and Polo shirts every time we go off base?

Secondly, you should be able to tell that someone is a Soldier from 300+ feet away by their actions and demeanor, not just by their attire.

Would you consider it more professional for a Soldier to wear his/her old BDU bottoms in mixed attire or for a Soldier to wear clothes that he/she bought from Aeropostale, American Eagle, etc. that already has holes and frays in them?

Just food for thought before you start judging.

REDLEG81

Posts: 206 | Location: Fort Bliss | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RedLeg81:
Who is to say what is professional and whats not? Are we to wear Khakis and Polo shirts every time we go off base?

Secondly, you should be able to tell that someone is a Soldier from 300+ feet away by their actions and demeanor, not just by their attire.

Would you consider it more professional for a Soldier to wear his/her old BDU bottoms in mixed attire or for a Soldier to wear clothes that he/she bought from Aeropostale, American Eagle, etc. that already has holes and frays in them?

Just food for thought before you start judging.

Lol, do all of PSYOP Soldiers answer questions with questions? All jokes aside, I heard somewhere(there should be a topic somewhere on this board) that the BDU's are being deactivated mid 08. That would probably be the best time to make them into shorts or nice hunting gear.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 07 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CombatMedicSkirt
posted Hide Post
Hooker,

I am referencing AR 670-1 (2005).

d. In accordance with chapter 45, section 771, title 10, United States Code (10 USC 771), no person except a member of the U.S. Army may wear the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform of the U.S. Army unless otherwise authorized by law. Additionally, no person except a member of the U.S. Army may wear a uniform, any part of which is similar to a distinctive part of the U.S. Army uniform. This includes the distinctive uniforms and uniform items listed in paragraph 1–12 of this regulation. Further, soldiers are not authorized to wear distinctive uniforms or uniform items of the U.S. Army or of other U.S. Services with, or on civilian clothes, except as provided in chapters 27 through 30 of this regulation. (p. 1)

e. Wear of military and civilian items.
(1) The wear of a combination of civilian and military clothing is prohibited, unless prescribed in this regulation or other authorization documents approved by HQDA. (p. 8)

Personnel may wear the cardigan without rank insignia when wearing civilian clothes. (p. 172)

Personnel may wear the pullover without insignia when wearing civilian clothes. (p. 174)

Para 14-4 - Soldiers may wear all or part of the PFU or IPFU with civilian attire off the installation, when authorized by the commander.

30–4. Wear of the uniform by former members of the Army
a. Unless qualified under another provision of this regulation, or under the provisions of section 772, title 10, United States Code (10 USC 772), former members of the Army may wear the uniform if they served honorably during a declared or undeclared war, and if their most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions. Personnel who qualify under these conditions will wear the Army uniform in the highest grade they held during such war service, in accordance with 10 USC 772.
b. The uniform is authorized for wear only for the following ceremonial occasions, and when traveling to and from the ceremony or function. Uniforms for these occasions are restricted to service and dress uniforms; the BDU and physical fitness uniforms will not be worn.
(1) When attending military funerals, memorial services, weddings, inaugurals, and other occasions of ceremony.
(2) When attending parades on national or state holidays, or other patriotic parades or ceremonies in which any active or reserve United States military unit is taking part. Wear of the Army uniform at any other time, or for any other purpose than stated above, is prohibited. (p.315)

The difference as described/prescribed in AR 670-1 and what you are asking is the wearing of BDU's as a uniform and the wearing of a pair of camouflage pants, a camouflage shirt, a pair of boots, etc. AR 670-1 mostly addresses the uniform as whole and the intent of AR 670-1 is to provide guidance for the proper wear of that uniform as well as to deter misrepresentation or impersonation of a Soldier.

Personally, I removed all name tapes, US Army tapes, rank, and patches. I converted many pairs of my old BDU pants into shorts. The pockets are great for carrying gloves and small tools. When working in the garden or working around the house/yard, I wear the BDU shorts or pants depending on the weather or work. I do not look at it as disrespectful or demeaning, but as a new life/use for uniforms I wore for years. When I pull them out of the closet and put them on, all kinds of memories rush back. When out chopping wood, I slip on my BDU jacket and head out the door. If I have to go to the store and am wearing the BDU pants or converted shorts, I ensure (just as I would in civilian attire) that they are clean and I am presentable.

There are many military "knock-offs" out there, as long as the clothing is devoid of reference to the US Army, it is merely clothing and you are not misrepresenting any military service or military member.

I know there is emotion tied to the reuse and wear of old BDU’s, but again, these are items that are available at many flea markets, Army/Navy resale shops, etc. You can go into any fabric shop and find dozens of fabrics in camouflage paterns. Remove any reference to the military and it simply becomes an article of clothing that can be worn by anyone.

No one can compromise your integrity, except you.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 08 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ar 670-1 still covers the bdu as a duty uniform...it is still unauthorized to mix and match civilian attire with military...this includes bdus, pt shirts and brown/tan t-shirts....please remember ur a professional and dont discredit the army uniform even if it is about to be phased out...

Posts: 75 | Registered: 02 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
when in doubt dont shoot a scout...also note that the part you didnt read cover that you are allowed to wear the PT shirt off the isntallation when authorized by the Commander. In Korea the Commander said no, so we couldnt, here the CG said yes, so we can.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3939 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ReconByAir
posted Hide Post
'When In Doubt': Thanks to a fellow scout for your support in this issue. To All: Stop being such 'by the book' soldiers for a moment, stop searching the regs for a black and white answer regarding wearing some raggy cut off bdu pants with old black combat boots like some sorta biker and just ask yourself, "Is this professional?" Do you really think it's presenting a good image to the public? No. Chances are, if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

-WO1 Pringle

Posts: 35 | Location: Ft Rucker, AL | Registered: 06 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RedLeg81
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should read the "black and white" a little more closely. He didn't say anything about raggy, cutoff, or black combat boots.

I'm reminded of this time I was corrected shortly after I came in because it was cold out and I had my hands in my pocket. I was given the whole "thats not professional" speech. But I guarantee that if someone on the Fortune 500 list were standing out in the cold, he'd have his hands in his pocket with his bluetooth in his ear, jabbering as he walked.

I do know and understand that rules and regulations exist for a reason. I also know that to tell a Soldier not to look at the rules and regulations is wrong. Everything you could want to know about the Army is in an AR, FM, or PAM somewhere.

What do you plan to do with your old BDU's? Put them in a box somewhere in the attic for the critters to destroy? Sell them to a surplus store so some bum can buy them and discredit the Army for you? I'm going to turn all my pants into shorts and all my soft caps into visors and make a fashion statement.

Once again, we can't all wear Khakis and Polo's every time we go out.

REDLEG81

Posts: 206 | Location: Fort Bliss | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe you should read the "black and white" a little more closely. He didn't say anything about raggy, cutoff, or black combat boots.

I'm reminded of this time I was corrected shortly after I came in because it was cold out and I had my hands in my pocket. I was given the whole "thats not professional" speech. But I guarantee that if someone on the Fortune 500 list were standing out in the cold, he'd have his hands in his pocket with his bluetooth in his ear, jabbering as he walked.

I do know and understand that rules and regulations exist for a reason. I also know that to tell a Soldier not to look at the rules and regulations is wrong. Everything you could want to know about the Army is in an AR, FM, or PAM somewhere.

What do you plan to do with your old BDU's? Put them in a box somewhere in the attic for the critters to destroy? Sell them to a surplus store so some bum can buy them and discredit the Army for you? I'm going to turn all my pants into shorts and all my soft caps into visors and make a fashion statement.

ah man i totally agree with this...i think its so funny for people to say that "air force gloves" are unprofessional...i personally think frostbitten hands look unprofessional...

Posts: 7 | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ReconByAir
posted Hide Post
Regleg, it seems you like to read a little deeper into things than needed, so I'll make my point a little clearer for you. In reference to my "black and white"/"cut off w/ boots" statement, I was only making an example of what I commonly see associated with the wear of United States Army military issue combat uniforms being worn in a civilian environment. Now that I've crossed all those t's and dotted those i's for you, I'll address another issue you've brought up...

Don't confuse my peeve with the fact that soldiers seem to have no regard for what should be the privlidge and honor of wearing the uniform of their country with lack of common sense rules like us not being able to put our hands in our pockets when it's cold, or put our gortex hoods up when it rains. Rules like these make little sense to me either. I say, if it was given to you (ie, pockets and hoods) use them in the manner they were designed to be used (ie, putting your hands in, putting over your head) in order to stay comfortable, dry, etc. There's no need to pull PYSOP here and say, "well, the army gave you a uniform that you don't wear anymore, you should be able to wear it with civilian clothes, cut the legs off, fray the edges, dye it pink, whatever the hell you want..."

There's a difference here you don't seem to be picking up on. Just because some AR, FM, -10, whatever, says it's "ok" doesn't mean it makes sense, or really is, "ok." The Army has a lot of rules, some make sense, some really don't. The point isn't to pick and choose the ones you like, but rather to adhere to them all, then further govern yourself to a higher set of standards that any soldier should be able and be proud to follow: like not improperly wearing the uniform of their country. If you have some overwhelming self-fulfilling desire for the public to know you're in the military, do it the right way and wear your duty uniform, hopefully, to standard.

-WO1 Pringle

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
quote:

So a bum wearing the old BDUs is going to look much better or worse than someone else wearing them? IMO if you wear the military uniform recreationally (I just made that word up) you get a big "L" stamped to your forehead. But that's just me.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2481 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ReconByAir
posted Hide Post
35M3, thank you. Glad to see there's someone else around here with a little respect for what a uniform really is.

Here's a little food for thought for those that see nothing wrong with "recreationally" wearing a "combat uniform." When was the last time you saw a firefighter, police officer, emt, or any other uniformed public servant figure walking around in half civilian clothes and half reflective firefighting pants/police officer utility belt, etc? You just don't.
1. Because they have enough self respect not to.
2. Because, here comes...wait for it...it would just look stupid.

Take a hint if this applys to you.

-WO1 Pringle

Picture of medic75
posted Hide Post
why do soldiers have to argue or "debate" about everything now. Just accept it as a regulation and follow it. I wish more soldiers would listen to that advice as well. We all knew when we raised our hand that we might have to follow some rules or orders we do not agree with. Just as one of the other guys above said wait til they are out of the reg then do what you want. Don't hold your breath for 670-1 to be changed....

Posts: 56 | Location: Ft. Sam Houston  | Registered: 01 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This is just funny, I really never knew thier was such a big discussion over this. I gave my brother all my bdu stuff, he likes wearing more as a fashion then because of the Army. I don't see a real need to argue about it.
I went to Nijmegen Holland to do a 200km walk. Because we went as civilians we wore acu buttoms and t-shirts. NO one, not even the few SM's we saw said anything but good luck!

Posts: 2 | Location: Germany | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post