New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are combat patches awarded?
 Login/Join

Picture of SPC. Koehn
posted
I want to know how combat patches are awarded. We had a formation where our Battery Commander gave us the 45th BCT patch so I know I am authorized that patch. During that formation he told us that we would in the future be authorized the 177th MP Brigade, and the 300th MP Brigade patches.

My Battery is under the 504th MP BN for this deployment. They were the 42 MP Brigade patch. Some people in my unit have started to were the 42nd patch for there combat patch. Also my First Sergent has started to wear the MNF-I patch as his combat patch.

I am sure that these people didn't earn the patches on previous deployments. I am still wearing the 45th BCT patch since my Commander awarded it to me. I would like to wear the other patches if I am authorized to do so.

How do I know if I am authorized?

SPC. Koehn

Posts: 3 | Registered: 22 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 25F3S
posted Hide Post
SPC Koehn,
Shoulder Sleeve Inignia-Former Wartime Service (SSI-FWTS) "Combat Patch" is a very specific patch and a soldier cannot just wear any pacth from his MACOM down. For example, a soldier in 5th Special Forces Group deploys and his orders have him as going with 5th SFG, then he can only wear the SF patch. He cannot wear USASOC(United States Army Special Operations Command) patch or the SOCOM patch even though 5th SFG is under these two commands. If people from your unit are on orders with 504th MP BN then, yes, they can wear that patch, but if it is not said on their orders then they are wrong.

SUBJECT: AR 670-1, 3 FEB 05, WEAR AND APPEARANCE OF ARMY UNIFORMS AND INSIGNIA
1. THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS IMPLEMENTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHANGES TO THE WEAR POLICY
OUTLINED IN AR 670-1, APPENDIX F, SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA-FORMER WARTIME SERVICE (SSIFWTS).

2. SINCE 1945, THE INTENT OF THE WEAR OF THE SSI-FWTS HAS BEEN TO DENOTE SOLDIERS
PARTICIPATION IN COMBAT OPERATIONS, AS DIRECTED BY THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY, WHILE
SERVING WITH LARGE ECHELON DEPLOYED UNITS. BASED ON THE WAY UNITS ARE CURRENTLY
DEPLOYING, THE WEAR POLICY FOR THE SSI-FWTS MUST BE REVISED TO CLEARLY CAPTURE THE
WARTIME RELATIONSHIP WITH FIGHTING UNITS ON THE GROUND.

3. THIS POLICY CHANGE IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND IS NOT RETROACTIVE.

4. THIS GUIDANCE APPLIES TO SOLDIERS OF ALL COMPONENTS (ACTIVE, ARNG, AND USAR) THAT
DEPLOY DURING PERIODS OF SERVICE DESIGNATED FOR WEAR OF THE SSI-FWTS, IN ACCORDANCE
WITH AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 28-17.

5. THERE IS NO TIME-IN-THEATER REQUIREMENT TO BE AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE SSI-FWTS.

6. A DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) WILL WEAR THEIR UNIT S SSI AS THE SSI-FWTS. THIS IS
TRUE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE HEADQUARTERS ELEMENT DEPLOYS, AND REGARDLESS OF
THE NUMBER OF CHANGES TO THE UNIT S ALIGNMENT OR OPERATIONAL CONTROL (OPCON) DURING
THE PERIOD OF DEPLOYMENT.

7. WHEN ECHELONS BELOW COMPANY LEVEL DEPLOY, MEMBERS OF THESE UNITS WILL WEAR THE
SSI OF THE LOWEST ECHELON DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) IN THEIR NEW DEPLOYED
CHAINS OF COMMAND AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.

8. WHEN THERE IS NO INTERMEDIATE UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) IN THE DEPLOYED CHAIN OF
COMMAND, DEPLOYED SOLDIERS WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THE SENIOR ARMY COMMAND IN THE
THEATER AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.

9. SOLDIERS WHO ARE CROSS-LEVELED, ASSIGNED, ATTACHED, OR AUGMENTING DEPLOYED UNITS,
AND SOLDIERS WHO ARE TDY ON ORDERS THROUGH THE USE OF DD FORM 1610 (REQUEST AND
AUTHORIZATION FOR TDY TRAVEL OF DOD PERSONNEL) WILL WEAR THE SAME SSI-FWTS WORN BY
MEMBERS OF THEIR DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) TO WHICH ATTACHED OR OPCON. THIS
DOES NOT APPLY TO MEMBERS OF TRIAL DEFENSE AND CIDC, WHO WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THEIR
RESPECTIVE COMMANDS AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.

The sky, even more than the sea, is terribly unforgiving for even the slightest mistake.

Posts: 30 | Location: MacDill AFB, FL | Registered: 03 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SPC. Koehn
posted Hide Post
Thank you SSG for that reply.

Is there any document that you are suppost to receive though? For example when you receive an award or ribbin you receive a document as proof that you earned the award. I thought there would be something similar for the SSIFWTS.

SPC. Koehn

posted Hide Post
I was authorized my combat patches (SSI-FWTS) through a statement of service, which states what dates I served overseas and what I am authorized.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 29 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SPC. Koehn
posted Hide Post
Well I asked my Section Cheif about his SSI-FWTS and he said that he was authorized it by his DD 214. The DD 214 awarded him more than one combat patch for a single deployment. It does not make since to me after reading the AR 670-1 which makes it sould like you are only authorized on per deployment. We are in a NG unit if that helps anyone solve the puzzle.

SPC. Koehn

posted Hide Post
Combat patches are slightly different with the National Guard because NG units are state-sponsored and not federal until they go on Title 10 orders. When NG units are deployed, they typically deploy as a brigade within the state; but as such they are always placed under the command of an active component division holding command of whatever base they are assigned to and carry out missions assigned to that command.

This is why you see people in the Guard who haven't spent a day in the regular Army walking around with notable active duty unit patches on their right arm. Some of them earned them on active duty with the respective units, but most simply choose to wear a more notable patch than their state NG patch.

I do have a question to add to this topic, though. Is it correct for a battalion policy letter to state that wear of combat patches is mandatory for everyone, effective actual boots on ground date? Doesn't seem right to me, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 32 | Location: Ft Bliss / El Paso | Registered: 06 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caiman Bulldog:
I do have a question to add to this topic, though. Is it correct for a battalion policy letter to state that wear of combat patches is mandatory for everyone, effective actual boots on ground date? Doesn't seem right to me, but I could be wrong.

Whether it's right or not it happens a lot.

I've seen some Soldiers get 'in trouble' (just chewed out really,) because the CSM wanted everyone to wear the current unit's patch on the right, even though this Soldier had earned a different patch previously..

I've seen units have a little 'ceremony' where everyone is supposed to put the (rightside) patch on.

Me personally, I didn't wear it while downrange for quite a while. What's the point? Wear it out/ dirty it??
-ESPECIALLY while I was still in Kuwait. Gimme a break...

I put a rightside patch on to go home for R&R and wore it after that MOST of the time.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
my CSM tried to pull that b/s and tell me that I can't wear the 1AD combat patch while i was in "his" unit... but if you look at MNFI policy, it states that soldiers decide which combat patch to wear if they are authorized more than one... Im pretty sick of people changing rules and standards... And then they use the excuse that you can add to and not take away...but face it...higher ups do what they want...thats why im done in 1 year!! woohoo

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sivy2009
posted Hide Post
quote:
And then they use the excuse that you can add to and not take away...but face it...higher ups do what they want...thats why im done in 1 year!! woohoo

Congrats on choosing to advance your career in the civilian world. But don't be surprised if you see this attitude in the civilian world as well, if not more often. There are no ARs to protect you there (and yes ARs are there for YOU). You simply do what they say. If they come out with a memo that says everyone will wear pink shirts with purple pokadotted pants on Fridays guess what, you're wearing them or you don't have a job.

"Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Posts: 447 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of kingobattle
posted Hide Post
Just wear what you got and let those other people wear whatever they got because you know what you did. and if you want a "cool" combat patch yo can have my 3ID one cuz i got enough to share and you can also have a CAB.

If you aint yelling at a soldier you aint doing your job!!!!

Rock Of The Marne!!! Send Me!!! (send me back to 3rd id)

Posts: 4 | Location: Ft Lewis | Registered: 22 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPC. Koehn:
We are in a NG unit if that helps anyone solve the puzzle.

I too deployed while a member of the NG(I am now active duty). Anyway, We got attached to another states BCT and while in Iraq we fell under 1st Cav and 3ID. I received a memo stating that I am authorized to wear 3 different patches. I have yet to wear the guard patch (256 BCT, ewww)and mostly wear my cav patch. Nothing against 3ID, I just like the 1st Cav patch better Smiler

Posts: 71 | Location: MacDill AFB, Florida | Registered: 07 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FIFTYCRUSHPLAN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 11BIN3ID:
my CSM tried to pull that b/s and tell me that I can't wear the 1AD combat patch while i was in "his" unit... but if you look at MNFI policy, it states that soldiers decide which combat patch to wear if they are authorized more than one... Im pretty sick of people changing rules and standards... And then they use the excuse that you can add to and not take away...but face it...higher ups do what they want...thats why im done in 1 year!! woohoo

Ya i hate that bull$hit i was using the tmp on friday to go run some errands real quick for someone on base and i didnt realize the gas was at 3/4 a tank, I got back and the SGM of our detachment asked if it was full so i went to check and reported back, then i got my ass chewed for it not being topped off and i had to go top it off, so i get back and use it monday, it turns out he goes somewhere in it on saturday and left that joker bone dry lol

Get Some!

Posts: 562 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 11BIN3ID:
Im pretty sick of people changing rules and standards... And then they use the excuse that you can add to and not take away...but face it...higher ups do what they want...thats why im done in 1 year!! woohoo

After being a civilian for the last 13 years I can bear witness to it being 110% worse on the outside. I made easily twice as much money working as a construction superentendant than I did as a spc. BUT the degree of bs youll find is far and above the worst you have seen in the Army.

There is little to no justice being a civilian and having to deal with a plethora of other peoples crap. You either eat the sandwich or wear it. At least in the Army, if you are right the wrong will be addressed.

IM happy to trade you placesBig Grin Im rejoining, you can have my spot as a civilianBig Grin

Posts: 122 | Registered: 03 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I think the whole idea is asinine. My last deployment I got awarded like 8 different Combat patches which really takes away from the whole Combat patch. I think that the only Combat Patch you should be allowed to wear is the unit you deployed with! (Actually assigned to). I supported all these units in northern Iraq last time an they came giving me the Memo that since I was OPCON I can wear there patch. I think its a bit disrespectful to the people who actually were assigned to the Unit.

haha just my 2 cents as usual!

"Sometimes the roots of democracy have to be watered with the blood of patriots"

Posts: 248 | Location: Ft Hood! | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The two units I was assigned to issued me a Statement of Service Memo, it states the dates you were assigned, overseas service stripe, etc.. and most importantly the Combat Patch.

BUT all you need is deployment or assignment orders, NCOER's, etc... which states where you did your time.

Hope that helps,
alphahec

Posts: 12 | Registered: 29 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post