Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GWOTSM
 Login/Join

posted
I've read AR 600-8-22 and I've read everything on the HRC website but can't seem to get a direct answer as to the criteria for the GWOTSM. As I'm reading it, it says "All Soldiers on active duty, including Reserve Component Soldiers mobilized, or National Guard Soldiers activated on or after 11 September 2001 to a date to be determined having served 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days (outside of the AOE for the GWOTEM, refer to MILPER Message 09-026) are authorized the GWOTSM."

To me that says every active duty soldier, that comes out AIT is authroized the GWOTSM after they've been on station for 30 days. Is that correct? Any help would be greatly appriciated as I'm going round and round with my S1 currently. He seems to think you are only authorized it if you working in support of GWOT outside of the designated AOE..IE some guy sitting in DC flying a drone over Afganistan.

Seth

Posts: 4 | Registered: 01 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
No, it means if you meet the active duty requirements, but not for the GWOTEM, you are authorized the GWOTSM.

I submitted a DD214 to have it added to my ERB (I was RA from 1997-2003), but other documentation should suffice.

There may be an expiration, but I don't believe it is specified in the reg.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So every active duty soldier who has been on station for over 30 days is authorized the GWOTSM regardless of where they are serving? Because that is where I'm getting the hang up from my S1. The paragraph in my original post is one of the qualifying criteria for the GWOTSM. Which it states you only need to meet one of the criteria to receive the medal.

Thank you for your answer!

Seth

Posts: 4 | Registered: 01 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
the GWOTSM every servicemember gets for basically being in the miltary for over 30 days until they stop saying we are fighting the war on terrorism, it is like the nation defense ribbon. Now the GWOTEM is what your S! is thinking and you have to meet certain requirements like being in a combat zone during a certain time period and what not. But the Service medal pretty much everyone gets that for being in the military

Posts: 29 | Registered: 17 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
c. Criteria. Service members must be assigned, attached, or mobilized to a unit supporting designated operations listed in 2–18g for 30 consecutive days or for 60 nonconsecutive days, or meet one of the following criteria:

Make sure they read the 'or'.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Did somebody fix the spam issue on this forum?

Also, show your clerk this wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G...rorism_Service_Medal

Yes, it is a give me medal and should automatically populate to your ERB.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
Did somebody fix the spam issue on this forum?
QUOTE]

Ya they finally did. We're hoping that they keep going and actually get the forums and the site up to the state that they need to be.

CW3 Troy Ward
NETOPS OCT
Bronco 30E
National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA

Are you a signal warrant officer? http://www.signal-chief.com/

Posts: 609 | Location: National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
my leadership is telling me that they recently discontinued this medal sometime last year but nobody can give me a date and are not willing to help me pursue obtaining this ribbon. Anyone here that can shed some light on this?

Posts: 1 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Soldier60
posted Hide Post
AR 600-8-22 para 2-19

c. Criteria. Service members must be assigned, attached, or mobilized to a unit supporting designated operations
listed in 2–18g for 30 consecutive days or for 60 nonconsecutive days, or meet one of the following criteria:
(1) Initial award of the GWOTSM. Limited to airport security operations (from 27 September 2001 through 31 May
2002) and Soldiers who supported Operations NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM.
(2) All Soldiers on active duty, including reserve component Soldiers mobilized, or National Guard Soldiers
activated on or after 11 September 2001 to a date to be determined having served 30 consecutive days or 60
nonconsecutive days are authorized the GWOTSM.

Posts: 145 | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of WIT
posted Hide Post
According to the HRC site https://www.hrc.army.mil/tagd/...ice%20medal%20gwotsm

Q5 and Q8

After you spend 30 consecutive days(of active duty) in your unit, the CO can put you in for it. By the way it sounds/looks he doesn't have to, but unless you're a shitty soldier I don't see why he wouldn't

Q5: Do all active duty Soldiers qualify for the GWOTSM automatically?

A5: No. In March 2004, senior Army leadership made the determination that all active duty Soldiers serving on active duty since 11 September 2001 had served in some way in support of GWOT. Therefore, Soldiers serving on active duty at that time were all authorized the GWOTSM. After March 2004, the award approval authority, Battalion Commanders, must determine that a Soldier serving on active duty has qualified for the GWOTSM.

Q8: When is an active duty Soldier who has just graduated AIT authorized to be awarded the GWOTSM?

A8: An active duty Soldier who has just graduated AIT may be awarded the GWOTSM after they have met the criterion that is specified in para 2-19 of AR 600-8-22, Military Awards. After being assigned to his/her permanent unit for 30 days, the commander may authorize the Soldier award of the GWOTSM. No orders are required for this action.

If you see your EOD tech running.. you better keep up.

Posts: 53 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 18 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post