Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hands in the pockets of ACUs
 Login/Join

posted
I've been trying to tell the Soldiers in my unit to remove their hands from their ACU pockets. The response I get is "AR 670-1 covers BDUs, not ACUs. There isn't a regulation for ACUs yet. I'm keeping my hands in my pockets." Can you believe this? Where is the bearing and discipline? Much less realizing oneself is wrong. I know I don't get caught with my hands in the cookie jar!

Posts: 2 | Location: Ft Sham | Registered: 22 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
LOL

Make the Soldiers HANDWRITE AR 670-1 Para 1-9 for you.

Chap1 is "GENERAL Information and Responsibilities." It says NOTHING of ACU, BDU, or PT uniform. Says only that "WHILE IN UNIFORM" you can't keep your hands in your pockets.

Seriously I'd smoke 'em for backtalk and being wrong... ;-)

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT Diesel
posted Hide Post
1–9. Uniform appearance and fit

(3) While in uniform, personnel will not place their hands in their pockets, except momentarily to place or retrieve objects. Soldiers will keep uniforms buttoned, zipped, and snapped. They will ensure metallic devices such as metal insignia, belt buckles, and belt tips are free of scratches and corrosion and are in proper luster or remain properly subdued, as applicable; and that all medals and ribbons are clean and not frayed. Personnel will keep shoes and boots cleaned and shined. Soldiers will replace the insignia listed in AR 700–84, paragraph 5–5, when it becomes unserviceable or no longer conforms to standards.

It could be ACU's, BDU's, PT's, dress blues, or a clown suit. If its your duty uniform, and your hands are in your pockets, you're wrong.

Smoke 'em.

Posts: 139 | Location: Ft Belvoir, VA | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MilitaryPoliceNCO
posted Hide Post
Well first let me ask you this are you a NCO plain and simple, if so as long as it is not illegal nor immoral you reasoning is because you said so.

Also followed up by a 4856 and the magic blurb at the bottom

If your substandard conduct continues, actions may be initiated to separate you from the Army under AR 635-200. If you are involuntary separated you could receive an honorable discharge, a general (under honorable conditions) discharge, or under other than honorable discharge. An honorable discharge may be awarded under any provision. A general discharge may be awarded for separation of all chapters. An under other than honorable discharge may be awarded for separation upon chapter 14. If you receive discharge, however from reenlistment for some period of time and may disqualify you from receiving transitional benefits (e.g. commissary, housing, health benefits and the Montgomery GI Bill). If you receive a general discharge you will be disqualified from reenlisting in the service from some period of time and you will be ineligible from some reenlistment and most benefits, including payment from accrued leave, transportation of dependents and household goods to home, transitional benefits, and the Montgomery GI bill. You may also face difficulty in obtaining civilian employment, as employers have low regard from general and under other than honorable condition discharges. Although there are agencies to which you may apply to have the character of you discharged, it is unlikely that any such application will be successful.

''If you don't find it on the initial shakedown, look for it on their LES breakdown.''

Posts: 165 | Registered: 04 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
you all would have a great day in Recruiting...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
All you should say is "Because I said so" dont let them argue!.. I deal with this all day with LT's!

"Sometimes the roots of democracy have to be watered with the blood of patriots"

Posts: 248 | Location: Ft Hood! | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:

Doubt it for my case. Smiler

Why do you say that though??

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MilitaryPoliceNCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:

Doubt it for my case. Smiler

Why do you say that though??

To tell you the truth I would suck at recruiting from what I hear its all about numbers and not about quality and that's where I would butt heads. I could not put a dirt bag in the army just cause we need numbers ie oh you smoked weed last week come back in a few weeks and we will test you again.

Not my cup of tea.

''If you don't find it on the initial shakedown, look for it on their LES breakdown.''

Posts: 165 | Registered: 04 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PartyFoul:
I've been trying to tell the Soldiers in my unit to remove their hands from their ACU pockets. The response I get is "AR 670-1 covers BDUs, not ACUs. There isn't a regulation for ACUs yet. I'm keeping my hands in my pockets." Can you believe this? Where is the bearing and discipline? Much less realizing oneself is wrong. I know I don't get caught with my hands in the cookie jar!

What I'm trying to figure out is why you're even arguing with the soldiers. If they want to backtalk you, cease training (if mission allows) and show them. NCOs enforce the standard by showing the standard. If you simply demonstrating the standard isn't enough, sometimes the ink needs to hit them in the face for it to stick. Sounds like some corrective training/counseling is completely in line here so they don't think for a second that this type of shit will fly.

Posts: 82 | Registered: 26 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
So yesterday a lot of our PVTs were standing around with just their THUMBS in their pockets.

It really did look ridiculous. Then they wanted to argue and say some SFC told them it's ok.

So I played with it and quoted the hands in pockets, and asked if their palms were part of their hands. "Yes, SGT!"
And the backside? "Yes, SGT!"
And the thumbs are lower than both of those- they're part of the hands. Roll Eyes

Picture of dylanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
So yesterday a lot of our PVTs were standing around with just their THUMBS in their pockets.

It really did look ridiculous. Then they wanted to argue and say some SFC told them it's ok.

So I played with it and quoted the hands in pockets, and asked if their palms were part of their hands. "Yes, SGT!"
And the backside? "Yes, SGT!"
And the thumbs are lower than both of those- they're part of the hands. Roll Eyes

I'm guilty of the thumbs in the pockets. It's a hard habit to break and I am not even sure where I picked it up.

Trying to get this PAO thing down.

Posts: 40 | Location: Fort Sill, OK | Registered: 27 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Illernoise
posted Hide Post
I'm guilty of the "thumbs in the waistline". Haven't seen anything about THAT. Been doing it for years and no one seems to have a problem with it unless they're a complete ass hat.

Posts: 658 | Location: Ft. Drum | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
No hands in pockets is one of the dumbest uniform/policy rules in the Army. It's ok to basically put your hands down your pants but not in the pockets. So instead of "unprofessional" soldiers standing around with hands in their pockets you have "professional looking" soldiers in the winter time putting their hands down their pants.

One of those few regulations that I guiltily break every chance I get without even thinking about it.

So yes, I contribute to the stereotype that all instructors put their hands in their pockets lol.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Miller SSG type
posted Hide Post
I put my hands under the bottom of my belt. I have always put my hands in my pocket before the Army and I hate the regulation

So I have the belt habit now. Adapt and overcome!

"SLOW IS SMOOTH, SMOOTH IS FAST"!

Posts: 178 | Location: Hunter AAF | Registered: 17 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

There's the letter of law and the spirit.
Too bad people get so picky they have to write so much down...