Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DA Photo Guidance
 Login/Join

posted
I am having a heck of a time finding and deconflicting all the guidance on the DA Photo for the SFC Board. I have already taken my photo and it looks fine minus the fact I am not wearing a marksmanship badge. I am pathfinder, airbourne and air assault qualified so I wear all 3 on the pocket flap with my CIB above my awards. We had a heated discussion about what was right today at work and there is evidence to support both wearing and not wearing. I am also sniper qualified so wearing a marksmanship baddge is a moot point for me. And every SSG going to the board will be wearing an expert badge even if they dont qualify expert. Any opinions? or Regs to back anything up?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 28 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
I am going to the board this year too and the main guidance is that whatever is on your ORB/ERB in relations to awards and badges, should align with your DA photo.

Even though the regs do not state, officers do not wear their bolo badges. For example, you might have a Warrant that earned his enlisted driver's badge on his uniform (which I earned as well) and I am not going to wear that in my DA photo. Plus, I did not put it on my ORB.

I am taking my photo in two weeks.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This is for the SFC board and not the Soldier of the Month board right? I'm struggling to understand why you can't put together what's the smarter thing to do.

An Expert marksmanship badge is expected of you as an 11B and even more so as a Sr. NCO.

You don't need to wear it at this point in your career.

Maybe you wait another year before you validate

Posts: 468 | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What kind of guidance is that? He asked for help and your advice is not to validate your records. That makes sense. Like stated by wisechief, your DA photo should match your ERB and the documents on your ERB should match your OMPF. If you don't feel certain things are necessary then make sure they aren't in your ompf and not on your erb.

Posts: 121 | Registered: 09 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
honestly, just match your ERB. I don't believe in the hype surrounding the DA Photo. I just match my ERB...So if it's not on my ERB I don't have it on there until after the convening. For example if I just received a Unit citation I won't add it to my ERB because of the DA photo or I will take another photo with it on there.

It may just be me but I think in my mind of minds that if a SM matches his ERB on his DA photo that they will glance at it and hit the records. If something isn't jiving they will critique the photo further. This is also just my opinion.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nukem1040
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KingofMinot:
honestly, just match your ERB. I don't believe in the hype surrounding the DA Photo. I just match my ERB...So if it's not on my ERB I don't have it on there until after the convening. For example if I just received a Unit citation I won't add it to my ERB because of the DA photo or I will take another photo with it on there.

It may just be me but I think in my mind of minds that if a SM matches his ERB on his DA photo that they will glance at it and hit the records. If something isn't jiving they will critique the photo further. This is also just my opinion.

X2
(on a side note, it's spelled Airborne)

When was the last time YOU recited and lived by the NCO Creed?

Posts: 138 | Location: Drum | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you have X amount of badges to choose from, and according to the regulation you can only wear certain badges above your ribbons if you are wearing a CIB.

Because he has a CIB, Airborne, AA, and PF, than NO he does not have to wear his marksmanship badge and it can still be annotated on his ERB that he qualifies Expert and holds that badge.

I am confused at what you guys are talking about. There are plenty of situations now because of the ASU that you can have many of Badges and Tabs and because of limited space, not wear them on your ASU while they are still represented on your ERB/ORB and OMPF.

My advice was as a seasoned NCO, soon to be Senior NCO, how do you not know this. It's annoying, and no I didn't have the all the answers when I was a SSG but guess what I could make a educated guess, and research and reference the answer.

So if he does listens to you guys and match his ERB than wear would he put all his other crap. He can't wear his airborne wings above his ribbons with his CIB.

I'm sorry, I don't have to hold everyone's hand sometimes you need to tell someone to grab their testes and make a decision, even if it's a rather easy one.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Barbarian,

He could put it on his pocket flap. I just have the AA and CAB and I put my CAB above my ribbons (which I wear staggered so my uniform flap doesn't cover them) and wings on my pocket flak.

Here is the photo of that outstanding Ranger last night at the SOTU.

http://media.kansascity.com/sm...49/13fb2h.St.81.jpeg

http://www.9linellc.com/wits/W...Feb_CoryRemsburg.htm

CSM here is scrapping his

http://www.floridaguard.army.m...S-CMD-ASU-110228.jpg

But yet...

http://www.eur.army.mil/leader...SM-Davenport-ASU.jpg

http://www.hood.army.mil/leaders/images/ASU_CSM.jpg

Either way, it will be dependent on how the board member feels about it.

SSG http://www.jber.af.mil/shared/...0809-F-SF222-004.jpg

http://blogs.militarytimes.com.../inspect_ribbons.jpg <--HIGH SPEED!!

Reference

http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/r640_30.pdf

7. Procedures for taking Department of the Army official photographs
a. Soldiers will—
(1) Make an appointment to be photographed.
(2) Report to the photographic facility dressed in a properly fitted and pressed Class A Army Green Service
uniform. The photo will be taken in the designated Army Blue uniform upon official announcement from DA. Soldiers
may also carry their uniform to the photographic facility and change on-site to avoid wrinkling or soiling the uniform
en route.
(3) Wear basic branch insignia, all permanently authorized awards, decorations, combat and special skill badges and
tabs. If affiliated, regimental insignia will be worn. The shoulder sleeve insignia (patch) and distinctive unit insignia
(crests) will be worn and are the only exceptions from the permanent rule. (In many cases Soldiers are assigned to
DOD agencies, Joint activities, and other federal agencies, with some exceptions, that are not authorized one or both of
these insignia items).

(4) Ensure that their uniforms and authorized permanent accessories, decorations, and insignia are worn per AR

nothing specific about marksmanship badges.

posted Hide Post
Chief,

I just saw your response, and figured I'd comment.

The SSG jber.af.mil, is wrong. You cannot have your airborne wings above your ribbons if you have a CIB, EIB, or CAB

The OP has is referring to 5 total badges

The outstanding Ranger, I can make out what he has above his ribbons under his CIB, but more thank likely its wrong, Unless it's a EFMB or CMB or Aviation badge.

With all do respect, I could post a bunch of DA photos as well, but it doesn't make it right.

Just because 10 people are doing something one way, and you do the other doesn't make you wrong.

I never said he can not wear his Marksmanship Badge

BUT he has a CIB, AB, AA and PF... if he wants to wear his Marksmanship he needs to drop 1 of his AB, AA or PF to make room because with his CIB he CANNOT stack it above his ribbons.

I will say this, if his packet is strong enough, and his record speaks for itself, boardmembers will look past a DA Photo issue. I've seen it too many times.

But Infantry guys should know this, a point I was trying to make it, AB, AA, PF are skill badges, as an 11B, a group of 11Z SGMs assume and expect you to be an Expert shooter or Hell of a shot.

Also you cannot sport anything lower than Expert with your CIB, so your Expert badge is spoken for.

I'm just shocked the OP couldn't put this together on his own.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
You cannot have your airborne wings above your ribbons if you have a CIB, EIB, or CAB

Barbarian,

I am looking at 670-1 and I cannot find where you cannot wear your airborne wings about your ribbons if you have a CIB, EIB or CAB.

I am looking on pages 297-299 in the reg and it shows the CIB above a badge. Yes, its not Airborne or Air Assault wings so I guess that is what you meant.

https://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/ar670-1.pdf

posted Hide Post
Chief,

The CIB, EIB and CAB or Group 1 badges

Airborne, Air Assault, and Pathfinder are Group 4

AR 670-1 p.298

When no badges from groups 1 through 3 are worn, personnel may wear a total of three combat and special skill badges from groups 4 and 5 above the ribbons or pocket flap, or in a similar location on uniforms without pockets.

I know some may say this doesn't fully support my argument, but in addition, the "LOOK SHARP" pocket size uniform guide clearly states on page 45

When badges from groups 1-3 are worn with badges from group 4 and 5, the badges from group 4 and 5 will be worn side by side below the ribbons or on the pocket flap.

There are no examples in AR670-1 of someone wearing a CIB and Airborne wings above the ribbons together for a reason.

Sir, just how you stated Officers and WOs don't wear Marksmanship badges, while that's not mentioned in AR 670-1, It's known they generally don't. I think some things are misinterpreted or interpreted to benefit the individual, in this case, someone with 5 badges and I strongly believe it's against regulation

posted Hide Post
Armystudyguide has a wear-and-appearance PPT from 1st Battalion (Airborne) 509th Infantry, slide 30, that also supports my claim.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t..._xsoprnsZxUPqdI3keug

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Got it. Clear as day. I wore my badges wrong one time in a DA photo.

posted Hide Post
Hey, trust me, I think we've all made some uniform mistakes, lol.

but this is how I interpret it, serving in an Airborne unit once, this is what was preached to us. Not to wear it above the ribbons if a CIB/EIB is worn.

I think AR6701-1 could be much clearer