Community's Community is an Army Forum
Security Badges

Picture of ghost0001
I was presented with a situation where a NCO was wearing his security badge holder on his ACUs. His badge was placed in his left breast pocket, thus it was not on display outside the secured area. I cannot find anything in AR 190-13 (Physical Security), AR 670-1, or DA PAM 670-1 on the wear of the badge holder. I have informed him that wearing it outside the secure area is in violation of AR 670-1 and AR 190-13, however he wants to see it in writing. Could someone give me a hand and point me to the correct area?

The closest I have gotten was AR 670-1 para 3-11:
b. Security identification badges. In restricted areas, commanders may prescribe wearing security identification
badges, in accordance with AR 600–8–14 and other applicable regulations. Personnel will not wear security identification
badges outside the area for which they are required. Personnel will not hang other items from the security
identification badge(s). The manner of wear will be determined by the organization that requires wearing the badges.

Since it was just his holder, he said it was not in violation. By holder I mean the retractable cord that clips to the pocket on his uniform.
Posts: 7 | Location: FT. Hood, TX | Registered: 15 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
I wear a security badge and when we leave the facility, we are just supposed to secure it. At times, it is in my uniform pocket and at times, I place it in my wallet.

We have temp badges for visitors that stay within the facility.

You can always visit your local security manager for local policy.

Here are some links.

In the community, don’t give people the opportunity to see your
credentials and identify you as a Consultant. It can make you a target
for solicitation and social engineering, and may indicate where
employees and/or Consultants frequent afterhours. This information
is helpful to those seeking our data
When you leave the facility, remove your badge and put it in a safe
place with low visibility
The badge is intended to strengthen our personnel, asset, and
information protection capabilities as well as enable ready
identification of people on our premises
Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hellz
posted Hide Post
so you are trying to enforce some AR regs that you have no clue if they actually existed in the first place.

for what you described in your post, the AR 670-1 para 3-11 should be sufficient to present to the NCO so he stops wearing the badge holder on the uniform without his badge in it.

atleast he was smart enough to remove his badge..
Posts: 185 | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ghost0001
posted Hide Post
I knew the regulation 670-1 covered it, I just wanted some clarification from others if I was right or wrong. He hid his badge in his breast pocket, however the retracting cord and clip were visible outside his pocket, affixed to the flap. According to the AR he was wrong. When I tried to correct him, he said "show me in black and white". When I presented this to him, he said that the security badge was not on display and the clip was perfectly fine on display.
Posts: 7 | Location: FT. Hood, TX | Registered: 15 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Go with the local policy- and common sense would say he is showing that he does have a badge to outsiders...

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me
Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post