Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

patrol cap wear
 Login/Join

posted
I have been told to fix my headgear more than once. This is told to me with a joke about jonny reb, or the confederate, or some kind of joke that my headgear looks like something from the civil war. (I wear mt patrol cap with all the extra fabric pushed down to my head and to the front). My question is where does it say how the patrol cap is supposed to look? I can't find it in 670-1, all i see here is how to wear it around the head. I see some with "ranger rolls" and others with a fold/tuck behind the rank, and various other styles people wear it but no where can i find the regs on it. Any suggestions on where I can look it up?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smittaayy
posted Hide Post
Couldn't find it in 670-1??

AR 670-1, Para 3-5
quote:

(2) Personnel wear the patrol cap straight on the head so that the cap band creates a straight line around the head, parallel to the ground. The patrol cap will fit snugly and comfortably around the largest part of the head without distortion or excessive gaps. The cap is worn so that no hair is visible on the forehead beneath the cap. At their discretion, individuals may wear the earflaps down during cold weather, except in formation when the commander may prescribe wear policy.

From that ACU MILPER message I can't find the number of-
quote:
5D2. THE ACU PATROL CAP. THE ACU PATROL CAP IS WORN WITH THE ACU IN FIELD ENVIRONMENTS WHEN THE KEVLAR HELMET IS NOT WORN, ON WORK DETAILS, OR IN OTHER ENVIRONMENTS WHERE THE WEAR OF THE BERET IS IMPRACTICAL AS DETERMINED BY THE COMMANDER. PERSONNEL WEAR THE ACU PATROL CAP STRAIGHT ON THE HEAD SO THAT THE CAP BAND CREATES A STRAIGHT LINE AROUND THE HEAD, PARALLEL TO THE GROUND. THE PATROL CAP WILL FIT SNUGLY AND COMFORTABLY AROUND THE LARGEST PART OF THE HEAD WITHOUT DISTORTION OR EXCESSIVE GAPS. THE CAP IS WORN SO THAT NO HAIR IS VISIBLE ON THE FOREHEAD BENEATH THE CAP. SEWN OR PIN ON RANK IS WORN ON THE ACU PATROL CAP. THE LAST NAME TAPE WILL BE WORN CENTERED ON THE HOOK AND LOOP PADS ON THE BACK OF THE ACU PATROL CAP.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_...nd-care-policy.shtml

The Ranger Roll is great, especially because it makes you look like a Ranger ( Roll Eyes), but it's not authorized. Take your PC, shake it out, and plop it on your head. Voila, that's how it should look.

http://www.facebook.com/home.p...93539992&ref=profile

Posts: 1083 | Location: Fort Sill, OK | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Too lazy, more like it.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
Well in my personal opinion, it looks like crap when it is rolled, blocked, or whatever name you want to call it. Remember the whole thing about keeping a professional appearance? Or did you guys just get a correspondence course on that part and not learn it in basic?

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."

Posts: 719 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure you don't look as cool,
What are we, in friggin high school?

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
Oh, and one more thing, if you have been told more then once to fix your PC, more often then not your PC probably isn't on right.

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."

Posts: 719 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The part in the reg where it said "...around the largest part of the head without DISTORTION..." I do believe that distortion is what they are referring to as "ranger rolling, johnny reb, and whatever.

Posts: 81 | Location: Ft. Campbell | Registered: 22 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
3–6. General guidelines a. These uniforms are designed to fit loosely; alterations to make them fit tightly are not authorized. A tight fit reduces the airflow needed for ventilation and cooling. The only alterations authorized are those listed in AR 700–84

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tldingley:
3–6. General guidelines a. These uniforms are designed to fit loosely; alterations to make them fit tightly are not authorized. A tight fit reduces the airflow needed for ventilation and cooling. The only alterations authorized are those listed in AR 700–84

Welcome to the forum-

And to FIVE years ago. The thread was kinda old.. Better check the dates, it happens a lot around here. Smiler

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The reg is there in black and white for the partrol cap. distorted- When something is distorted this can mean that it has been changed from the original form in any way.
So yes that is the ARMY reg but you commanding officer has total control of what and how you wear ur uniform. Theres no mention of blocking or ranger rolls so that is just slang.If you roll or block your hat thats not distorting it because you have made no alterations to the patrol cap its self.It is still in its original form and if you are wearing it right you are within the guide lines of AR 670-1

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pamlico:

Welcome to the forum too- and if you're saying it's OKAY to roll or block the patrol cap, you're wrong.. Wink

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
From Merriam Webster Online Dictionary.

distort: to twist out of a natural, normal, or original shape or condition <a face distorted by pain>; also : to cause to be perceived unnaturally <the new lights distorted colors>

So the Patrol Cap is not to be distorted means is should not be twisted out of shape (ie. Ranger Rolled,Johnny Reb'd.

It seems as if pamlico is refering to modification not distortion.

Posts: 27 | Location: Fort Gordon, GA | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Welp, so long as we're talking about this...

Does anyone else think that the old BDU caps fit way better than do the ACU caps? I mean, I remember plopping my BDU cap on my head without it looking like I was wearing a dang train conductor's hat! Now the ACU cap just looks sloppy to me. Maybe that's why we see more soldiers trying to "fix" their cap nowadays.

Not justifying being out of regs, I'm just saying.

Posts: 257 | Location: Ft Sam Houston | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I agree 35PSGT, my old Summer BDU Patrol cap had much better shape with just a shake out of the pocket it looked better than an ACU PC. Now my winter BDU PC's looked similar to the ACU PC, must be the multiple layers of fabric rather than the single layer on the summer weight BDU PC.

Posts: 27 | Location: Fort Gordon, GA | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ArmyJets1778
posted Hide Post
@35P and SIGYEO

I am not justifying the following statement at all BUT...

I have seen quite a few soldiers cut out the inner top layer of their ACU PC to create that BDU PC effect. It comes out of the pocket and perfectly sits on the head without having to be "distorted".

Is this the right thing to do? According to the regs no, you are modifying the uniform but it is a much better alternative to the johnny reb clowns.

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Posts: 54 | Location: Andrews AFB, MD | Registered: 26 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post