ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Uniforms, Awards and Decorations    Overseas service stripe on the Class A uniform
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overseas service stripe on the Class A uniform
 Login/Join

posted
:?: Ok heres a question that I havent seen on here. Ive been trying to find someting in AR 670-1 about the wear of the overseas service stripe and about all I can find is how it is worn on the uniform. My question has to do with the qualifications required for wear. Is it authorized for anyone who spends time overseas, or is it for an overseas deployment? Ive been in Korea for 15 months now and would like to know if this does apply to me. :?: [color=darkblue:72814f9053][/color:72814f9053]

Posts: 57 | Location: CP Humphreys, Korea | Registered: 13 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
its a long shot....and i cant be 100% sure, but try AR 600-8-22

Posts: 46 | Location: the hump,south korea | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
the overseas service stripe is awarded for time spent in a combat zone.
for every 6 months in the combat zone you get one stripe on your right sleeve.

Posts: 3 | Location: ft. campbell | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Whats the chapter / paragraph?

Posts: 287 | Location: Camp Zama, Japan | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Greywolff
posted Hide Post
this should be the info you were looking for

AR-670-1 para 28-28

(8) One overseas service bar is authorized for each 6–month period of Federal service as a member of a U.S.
Service in the Persian Gulf from 27 July 1987 to 1 August 1990, for Operation Earnest Will. The months of arrival to,
and departure from Operation Earnest Will are counted as whole months.
(9) One overseas service bar is authorized for each 6–month period of Federal service as a member of a U.S.
Service in the Persian Gulf from 17 January 1991 to 31 August 1993, for Operation Desert Storm. The months of
arrival to, and departure from Operation Desert Storm are counted as whole months.
(10) One overseas service bar is authorized for each 6–month period of Federal service as a member of a U.S.
Service who participated in El Salvador, from 1 January 1981 to 1 February 1992. The months of arrival to, and
departure from El Salvador are counted as whole months.
(11) One overseas service bar is authorized for each 6–month period of Federal service as a member of a U.S.
Service in Somalia, from 5 December 1992 to 31 March 1995. The months of arrival to, and departure from Somalia
are counted as whole months.
(12) One overseas service bar is authorized for each 6–month period of Federal service as a member of a U.S.
Service participating in Operation Enduring Freedom, the CENTCOM area of operations, or under the control of the
CG, CENTCOM, from 19 September 2001 to a date to be determined. The months of arrival to, and departure from the
CENTCOM area of operations are counted as whole months.
(13) One overseas service bar is authorized for each 6–month period of Federal service as a member of a U.S.
Service participating in Operation Iraqi Freedom, the CENTCOM area of operations, or under the control of the CG,
CENTCOM, from 19 March 2003 to a date to be determined. The months of arrival to, and departure from the
CENTCOM area of operations are counted as whole months.
(14) Service as a member of a U.S. Armed Service for periods of less than 6 months duration, which otherwise
meets the requirements for the award of overseas service bars, may be combined by adding the number of months to
determine creditable service toward the total number of overseas service bars authorized for the following: World War
II, Korea, Vietnam, The Dominican Republic, Laos, Cambodia, Lebanon, Operation Earnest Will, Grenada, Operation
Just Cause, Operation Desert Storm, El Salvador, Somalia, Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Posts: 408 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
OK, thanx guys. I appreciate your help in clearing that up.

Posts: 57 | Location: CP Humphreys, Korea | Registered: 13 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Actually there has been a MILPER message put out recently that states that soldier will no longer wear the Korean Defense Service Ribbon for a tour in Korea. It states that if you are in Korea for 30 consecutive days or 60 unconsecutive days, you are authorized to wear the Overseas Ribbon. If you are still interested, please let me know and I can forward the MILPER message to you. Big Grin

Posts: 1 | Location: Fort Lewis | Registered: 11 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
actually you have it backwards. The overseas service ribbon is no longer authorized for anyone stationed in Korea bc now you wear the Korean Defense service medal and according to the reg you cannot wear a defense medal in conjunction with an overseas medal.

posted Hide Post
check the subject guys .... we are talking about the overseas service [b:8673511492]stripe[/b:8673511492], not the ribbon

Posts: 1484 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You wanna really rile some people up....start talking about how you get all this reflected on the ERB. :shock:

Posts: 1093 | Location: web surfing hell | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:bd741b3e51]You wanna really rile some people up....start talking about how you get all this reflected on the ERB. [/quote:bd741b3e51]

isnt that the truth!

Posts: 36 | Location: Ft Hood, Texas | Registered: 15 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
:roll:

eagh... lets not an say we did

:shock:

by the way about the ribbon thing that is true unless you where stationed here before feb. 200? i cant remember the year, i know we have a few people who ran into that problem as well, as for the over seas thing... i dunno

Posts: 6 | Location: CP Humphries | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
for the ribbon thing: if you [i:c61464370e]completed[/i:c61464370e] a tour of Korea before Feb04, then you can still wear the OSR. It's still listed on my ERB (did first tour in 2000). However, I cannot wear a numeral because this tour hasn't ended yet.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I bailed out of Korea last October so I got both for the time being.... 8)

Posts: 1093 | Location: web surfing hell | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Does overseas service in germany count towards the overseas service stripe during the cold war era, 1980-1982 ? Plus it was prior service Air Force currently Army.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 13 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post