ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Uniforms, Awards and Decorations    Military Outstanding volunteer service medal (MOVSM)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military Outstanding volunteer service medal (MOVSM)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
HI all,
If some one cfan please help me out and send me an email at robert.n.hernandez@us.army .mil. I would really like to know how to fill out the achievements portion of the 638.

Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Location: Ft.Wainwright | Registered: 28 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I will like to know may you send me copy of that 638 for that MOVSM award at mykid34@hotmail.com. Thank you for all your support.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 16 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looking for ideas on how to word a 638 for MOVSM for being a volunteer firefighter. Any ideas would really help thank you.

travis.sisson@us.army.mil

Posts: 2 | Registered: 23 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thompson25V:
I received a MOVSM award for volunteer work as a firefighter. Those of you who have listed your e-mails, I have sent you a reply as well.

Thompson25V- I am looking into writing up a volunteer firefighter for this award. Would you please post sample bullets that were used for your award? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mattie,

Posts: 3 | Registered: 24 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here are the facts for the MOVSM award (I should know, I'm currently stuck working as the awards NCO for a Brigade level command).
Per AR 600-8-22, para 2-16
"To qualify for award of the MOVSM a service member's volunteer service must meet the following requirements: (1) be to the civilian community, to include the military family community. (2) Be significant in nature and produce tangible results. (3) reflect favorably on the Military Service and the Department of Defense. (4) be of a sustained and direct nature." Furthermore, there is no set amount of volunteer hours, or set time period to qualify for the award, but it is not given for individual acts or achievements. It also cannot be awarded more than one time per tour.

While I support previous poster's desire to recommend their Soldiers for this award, I am disappointed to see how many of them "care enough to recommend", but do not care enough to write a genuine award. If it means enough to you to recommend the Soldier, then write it yourself. The bullets are no different than that of an AAM or ARCOM, simply the information imparted is different. Citations should reference what/how the Soldier made the impact, not be some generic catch all that you as a recommender use for each award you write. Take some pride in your job and your Soldiers, and write a unique award that actually HONORS the Soldier's efforts. I've never understood why NCO's seem to love taking a shortcut where awards are concerned. If the Soldier earned the honors, then do them justice and write a good one... not some cookie cutter piece of trash.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Honorbound- This award is different from what most of us are used to writing because it recognizes civilian service, so we simply want to see an example of what was effective. To be quite frank, I already have the award written for the Soldier I am submitting it for. I just want to compare it to an award of a similar nature. I can read a regulation, and I am sure that most individuals on here can also. That isn't the point. The point is to make sure it is written well enough the first time it is submitted to prevent having it sent back from battalion for corrections ten times.

posted Hide Post
could someone also email me copys of the 638 also jnj2337@gmail.com, thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Does being an Unpaid "Reserve" Volunteer Police Officer and/or Deputy Sheriff qualify for the MOVSM, and if so, where is it stated????

Sgt. L

Posts: 1 | Registered: 31 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If somebody could send me a copy of this to john.laursen@us.army.mil/johnnylaursenbro@gmail.com it would be a huge help.

Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 08 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benled:
Does being an Unpaid "Reserve" Volunteer Police Officer and/or Deputy Sheriff qualify for the MOVSM, and if so, where is it stated????

Sgt. L

The hours you volunteered and/or events you responded to would be what you have to look at. Any supporting documents (i.e. a signed volunteer hours sheet by a representative at the police station/sheriff's office, a typed list of duties you performed on a regular basis while volunteering) should be attached/ready for review.

An example bullet might read:
"SGT L's selfless service in volunteering 270 hours over the course of 8 months through the ASGF's patrolling force enhanced the ability of the force to extend into high level petty crime areas and thereby greatly increasing the security of the community at large while helping reduce the crime rate by 20%."
or
"As a volunteer Deputy Sheriff for the ASGF, SGT L made 45 calls to outlying residences within the county responding to house fires, domestic disputes, wildlife encounters and drunken disputes. Through his call to duty on this volunteer basis and donation of 135 hours of his personal time the ASGF Sheriff's Department was able to respond to all calls made with no injury or accident."

No list exists to include/exclude any amount of organizations or businesses you are allowed to count if you are genuinely volunteering; the ONLY exclusion is non-civilian volunteering meaning you can't volunteer in uniform in your workplace doing your job or serving the military in such a fashion as you are already getting paid for 24/7 work.

Good luck!

Posts: 86 | Location: Camp Yongsan, South Korea | Registered: 04 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Comments used for a Volunteer Firefighter
*SFC XXX volunteers as a member of the XXX Volunteer Fire Company # 1, City, State. He has been an active member in the company since 1989. During the last few years with the company, he has filled vital roles as a structural and forestry firefighter, an emergency medical technician, a search & rescue member, Fire Chief, and Deputy Fire Chief.
*During major flooding, caused by Hurricane Ivan, in Borough and the greater City community in 2004, SFC XXX spent 3 continuous days pumping water out of basements, warning and assisting citizens in evacuating their homes, and in rescuing citizens from flood waters. During this time, he drove fire apparatus across flooded and dangerous roads, putting himself in harms way to assist community members.
*Since January 2002, SFC XXX has responded to over 400 emergency calls, totaling more than 500 hours of volunteer service in direct support of the safety of the local community. He has made himself available to protect the community during all times including holidays and emergencies in the middle of the night. SFC XXX has attended all training needed to be able to respond to an emergency without payment or reimbursement for his personal cost.
*SFC XXX also spends his personal time keeping accountability of the protective gear issued to members by the fire company. He has applied his knowledge of military accountability procedures to develop a procedure for the fire company to use. His careful accountability prevents theft of expensive gear and ensures that the company is able to outfit all members of the department appropriately.
CITATION:
FOR MERITORIOUS ACTS OF VOLUNTEER SERVICE WHILE SERVING AS A MEMBER OF THE XXX VOLUNTEER FIRE COMPANY, CITY, STATE. SFC FIRST M. LAST'S SELFLESS SERVICE AND PERSONAL COURAGE HAS CONTRIBUTED TO THE SAFETY OF THE COMMUNITY OF CITY, STATE AND SURROUNDING COMMUNITIES AND REFLECT GREAT CREDIT UPON HIMSELF, COMPANY, BATTALION, AND THE UNITED STATES ARMY.

Obviuosly scrubbed to remove identification, but I think you can figure it what to write from this. If you are unfamiliar with volunteer fire or police companies, they keep run logs. You can call, explain what you are looking for, and they will get you info that can help write the award.

posted Hide Post
Excellent write up Mattie, thanks for your contribution!

"I did my best.. but I guess my best is not good enough.."

Pacman

Posts: 34 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: 08 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Can I get denied by my 1SG for recieving a MOVSM. I have over 150 logged voulenteer hours and got put in for one, but he said since I'm a NCO I don't need one and terminated the process.

Posts: 65 | Registered: 17 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SUPPLY101:
Can I get denied by my 1SG for recieving a MOVSM. I have over 150 logged voulenteer hours and got put in for one, but he said since I'm a NCO I don't need one and terminated the process.

Take it up your chain. 1SG isn't the approval authority, and it will help you for future promotions if your work is documented appropriately, via the award.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
quote:
Originally posted by SUPPLY101:

Take it up your chain. 1SG isn't the approval authority, and it will help you for future promotions if your work is documented appropriately, via the award.

I have them logged on VMIS and copies of my awards. I'll bring it up just looking to PCS out of here

Posts: 65 | Registered: 17 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post