Per guidance from a CSM and those Soldiers were wrong. I already have two black fleece and you can only wear it as explained below.
Teammates, I need your help in getting the word out about the wear of the black fleece cap. Reference paragraph 10 of ALARACT 2092014 below the black fleece cap is only authorized for wear with the NEW APFU uniform and the NEW Army Combat Uniform. Today at the COR rehearsal for our USFK Deputy Commander, the Firing Battery had several soldiers wearing the black fleece cap in ACUs. When I brought the PSG over to discuss this with him he was unaware of this ALARACT and he also said his Operations SGM told him they could wear either or type headgear. I spoke about this certain premium on standards in a message a few days ago, if we take care of the little things like basic standards and discipline, we will be amazed at how it will help us fix the big problems we have. Please get the word out on this. My bigger concern, and a potential larger problem, is we may have CSM/SGM out there who are not conducting the proper research and providing the wrong guidance to our NCOs.
SUBJECT: THE NEW ARMY PHYSICAL FITNESS UNIFORM (APFU) AND THE NEW BLACK MICROFLEECE CAP
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, REQUEST THE WIDEST POSSIBLE DISSEMINATION
1. (U) REFERENCES:
A. (U) OPERATIONAL FORCES INTERFACE GROUP REPORT, DATED 3 MAY 12, SUBJECT: TOTAL ARMY SURVEY OF THE IMPROVED PHYSICAL FITNESS UNIFORM (IPFU) TO ALL 50 STATES AND VARIOUS WORLDWIDE LOCATIONS.
B. (U) OPERATIONAL FORCES INTERFACE GROUP REPORT, DATED 7 JAN 13, SUBJECT: IMPROVED PHYSICAL FITNESS UNIFORM (IPFU) PHASE II.
C. (U) OFFICE OF THE DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF G-4, MEMORANDUM DATED 26 AUG 13, SUBJECT: IMPLEMENTATION OF THE CHIEF OF STAFF OF THE ARMY (CSA) APPROVAL OF THE 144TH ARMY UNIFORM BOARD (AUB) RECOMMENDATIONS.
2. (U) THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO PROVIDE INFORMATION ON THE INTRODUCTION OF THE NEW ARMY PHYSICAL FITNESS UNIFORM (APFU).
3. (U) SOLDIERS' FEEDBACK PROMPTED THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE NEW APFU. TO GAUGE ACCURATELY THE SOLDIERS' OPINIONS, THE ARMY CONDUCTED AN ONLINE SURVEY FROM 6 FEB TO 7 MAR 12. THE SURVEY GENERATED MORE THAN 76,000 SOLDIER RESPONSES. THE SOLDIERS' RECOMMENDATIONS INCLUDE MODIFICATIONS TO THE APPEARANCE, THE ADDITION OF HIGH PERFORMANCE FABRICS, AND MEASURES TO INCREASE COMFORTAND FIT. FROM 9-29 OCT 12, A SECOND SURVEY CONDUCTED TO DETERMINE SOLDIER PREFERENCE FOR COLOR AND DESIGN OF THE FITNESS UNIFORM. MORE THAN 190,000 SOLDIERS VOTED ON 64 DESIGN AND COLOR COMBINATIONS. SOLDIERS ULTIMATELY RECOMMENDED THE BLACK AND GOLD ENSEMBLE.
4. (U) THE PROGRAM EXECUTIVE OFFICE SOLDIER WORKED WITH NATICK SOLDIER RESEARCH DEVELOPMENT AND ENGINEERING CENTER TO REDESIGN THE CURRENT IPFU. THE GOAL WAS TO USE HIGH PERFORMANCE FABRICS WITHOUT INCREASING THE COST OF THE NEW APFU. THE NEW APFU FEATURES 34 IMPROVEMENTS: IMPROVED ID/KEY POCKETS, A REDESIGNED STRETCHABLE LINING IN THE TRUNKS, HEAT MITIGATION, AND FEMALE SIZING (PANTS/JACKET). ALL OF THESE CHANGES WERE INCORPORATED BASED ON SOLDIERS' INPUT. THE ARMY CONDUCTED EXTENSIVE TECHNICAL TESTING AS WELL AS USER ASSESSMENTS IN VARIOUS CLIMATIC REGIONS TO OBTAIN SOLDIER'S FEEDBACK AND TO VALIDATE THE APFU FORM, FIT, AND FUNCTION.
5. (U) THE NEW APFU ENSEMBLE CONSISTS OF THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
A. (U) APFU JACKET: BLACK W/GOLD ARMY LOGO
B. (U) APFU PANTS: BLACK W/GOLD ARMY LOGO
C. (U) APFU LONG SLEEVE SHIRT: BLACK W/GOLD "ARMY" LETTERING
D. (U) APFU SHORT SLEEVE SHIRT: BLACK W/GOLD "ARMY" LETTERING
E. (U) APFU TRUNKS: BLACK W/GOLD "ARMY" LETTERING
6. (U) THE NEW APFU EMSEMBLE IS QUICK DRYING, MOISTURE WICKING, AND USES LIGHT-WEIGHT FABRICS. THE APFU ENSEMBLE IS NOT REFLECTIVE. THE T-SHIRTS AND TRUNK LINERS WILL NOT HAVE ANTIMICROBIAL CAPABILITIES AT THIS TIME. AFTER FURTHER RESEARCH, THE ARMY WILL CONSIDER ADDING ANTIMICROBIAL CAPABILITIES.
7. (U) THE ARMY PLANS TO INTRODUCE THE NEW ISSUED APFU OVER SEVERAL YEARS. THE NEW APFU WILL BE AVAILABLE:
A. (U) FOR ARMY MILITARY CLOTHING STORES (AMCS) IN 1QFY15. DURING THE APFU INTRODUCTION, DRILL AND ADVANCED INDIVIDUAL TRAINING (AIT) PLATOON SERGEANTS AT CLOTHING INITIAL ISSUE POINT (CIIP) LOCATIONS ARE AUTHORIZED TO OBTAIN THEIR SUPPLEMENTAL ISSUE OF APFU ITEMS FROM THEIR LOCAL AMCS IN 2QFY15.
B. (U) FOR CIIP FOR INITIAL ENTRY TRAINING (IET) SOLDIERS IN 3QFY15,
C. (U) FOR THE ARMY NATIONAL GUARD, ARMY RESERVE, AND SENIOR RESERVE OFFICER TRAINING CORPS SOLDIERS IN 4QFY15.
D. (U) THE WEAR OUT DATE FOR THE IPFU IS 30 SEP 17. THE MANDATORY POSSESSION DATE FOR THE APFU IS 1 OCT 17 (1QFY18).
8. (U) THE ARMY IS INTRODUCING AN OPTIONAL COMMERCIAL APFU ENSEMBLE, WHICH WILL BE AVAILABLE IN AMCS' STARTING 1QFY15 (DEC 14). THIS WILL ALLOW SOLDIERS AN OPTION TO PROCURE AN APFU IN ANOTHER FABRIC WITH THEIR PERSONAL FUNDS. THE OPTIONAL APFU WILL BE IDENTICAL IN APPEARANCE TO THE NEW ISSUED APFU, BUT WILL BE MADE WITH HIGHER PERFORMANCE FABRICS AT AN INCREASED COST TO THE SOLDIER. SOLDIERS MUST PROCURE THE OPTIONAL ITEMS WITH THEIR PERSONAL FUNDS. IN ADDITION, THE OPTIONAL PURCHASE APFU INCLUDE THE JACKET AND PANTS IN UNISEX AND FEMALE SIZES.
9. (U) SOLDIERS ARE AUTHORIZED TO WEAR A MIXTURE OF ISSUED AND OPTIONAL APFU COMPONENTS. SOLDIERS ARE UNAUTHORIZED TO MIX THE WEAR OF NEW APFU COMPONENTS WITH THE IPFU COMPONENTS. APFUS ARE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR ON AND OFF DUTY, ON AND OFF THE INSTALLATION, AND WHEN AUTHORIZED BY THE COMMANDER.
10. THE ARMY IS CHANGING THE COLOR OF THE MICROFLEECE CAP FROM GREEN TO BLACK FOR WEAR WITH THE NEW APFU AND THE NEW ARMY COMBAT UNIFORM. THE NEW BLACK MICROFLEECE CAP WILL BE AVAILABLE:
A. (U) AT ARMY MILITARY CLOTHING STORES (AMCS) IN 1QFY15. DURING THE BLACK MICROFLEECE CAP INTRODUCTION, DRILL AND AIT PLATOON SERGEANTS AT CIIP LOCATIONS ARE AUTHORIZED TO OBTAIN THEIR SUPPLEMENTAL ISSUE OF THE BLACK MICROFLEECE CAP FROM THEIR LOCAL AMCS IN 2QFY15.
B. (U) AT CLOTHING INITIAL ISSUE POINTS FOR IET SOLDIERS IN 3QFY15,
C. (U) AT THE ARMY NATIONAL GUARD, ARMY RESERVE, AND RESERVE OFFICER TRAINING CORPS SOLDIERS IN 4QFY15.
D. (U) THE WEAR OUT DATE FOR THE GREEN MICROFLEECE CAP IS 30 SEP 18. THE MANDATORY POSSESSION DATE FOR THE BLACK MICROFLEECE CAP IS 1 OCT 17 (1QFY18).
11. (U) HEADQUARTERS, DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY (HQDA) POINT OF CONTACT IS MAJ DANNY PADELLO, OR MS. BRYANT-HARPER.
12. (U) THIS MESSAGE WILL EXPIRE IN MARCH 2024 UNLESS SUPERSEDED BY OFFICIAL GUIDANCE FROM HQDA.
Did that ALARACT come after the AR revision or before?
the AR 670-1 revision for2 Dec 2014 (admin date 19 Dec 2014) states
-Adds wear guidance for the black fleece cap (para 4-10c).
c. The fleece cap. The foliage green micro fleece cap or the black fleece cap is worn with the physical fitness uniform or combat uniform in field environments when the Army combat helmet is not worn, on work details, or in other environments where wearing the patrol cap is impractical, as determined by the commander. Personnel wear the fleece cap pulled down snugly on the head. In order to wear the cap properly, the bottom edge (all) of the cap may be folded, but not rolled. Installation commanders will determine temperature, wind chill, and extended duty time warranting wear of the cap in nonfield, nondeployed environments. The wear-out date of the foliage green micro fleece cap is 30 September 2017. The mandatory possession date for the black fleece cap is 1 October 2017.
If you see your EOD tech running.. you better keep up.
Here is Korea, in our morning formations, you have Soldiers wearing the new Black and Gold APFT uniform and the current black and grey one. Yes, we are allowed to have mixed PT uniforms in our ranks.
So, the black fleece cap applies to the new PT uniform and the green to the current.
Also, multicams are now being used throughout the Army. So, if you are wearing multicam and it is cold, you can wear the black fleece, if you are with the current grey uniform and its cold; then you wear the green one.
The black fleece jacket went out years ago before the green one replaced it to be worn with our current ACUs. There is actually a brownish fleece that will be worn with the multicams.