Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marksmanship Badges
 Login/Join

posted
I only qualified marksman with my rifle, but I qualified expert with pistol. Does that mean I wear the expert badge with the pistol bar, and the marksman badge with the rifle bar?

Also a related question, my NCOIC told me that since I'm not assigned an pistol, that I'm not allowed the wear the pistol badge at all. Is that right?

Posts: 4 | Registered: 11 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MCT SGT
posted Hide Post
1st Question -Yes

2nd Question: Quoted from AR 600-8-22

8-47. U.S. Army Basic Marksmanship Qualification Badges

a. A basic marksmanship qualification badge is awarded to indicate the degree in which an individual, military or civilian, has qualified in a prescribed record course and an appropriate bar is furnished to denote each weapon with which he or she qualified. Each bar will be attached to the basic badge that indicates the qualification last attained with the respective weapon. Basic qualification badges are of three classes. Expert, Sharpshooter, and Marksman. The only weapons for which component bars are authorized are in table 8-2 at the end of this chapter. Basic marksmanship qualification badges are awarded to U.S. military and civilian personnel, and to foreign military personnel who qualify as prescribed.

b. See AR 670-1 for instructions concerning the wear of marksmanship badges and component bar tabs.

c. Approval authority is as follows:

(1) Any commander in the rank or position of lieutenant colonel or higher may make awards to members of the Armed Forces of the United States; Camp/Post Commanders, Professors of Military Science, Directors of Army Instruction/Senior Army Instructors (DAI/SAI) or ROTC/JROTC units may make awards to members of the ROTC/JROTC.

(2) Except to uniformed civilian guards ( AR 670-10 ), awards to civilians will be made by the Civilian Marksmanship Program. The CMP is administered by the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety, Inc. The address for the headquarters is P.O. Box 576, Port Clinton, Ohio, 43452. The authorization for civilian guards to wear marksmanship badges may be made by installation commanders. Civilian guards will procure badges at their own expense.

No mention is made of weapon assignment

Posts: 170 | Location: Ft Lewis | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of dylanfan
posted Hide Post
As long as you are qualified and have the DA 88-R to show it, you are authorized to wear it. On your ERB though, only your rifle qual will be on there as that is your assigned weapon. Whatever your score is from your rifle qual, that will count towards promotion points, not your pistol qual. I had to ask the same thing, qualified marksmen on rifle, expert on pistol.

Trying to get this PAO thing down.

Posts: 40 | Location: Fort Sill, OK | Registered: 27 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RubberMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dylanfan:
Whatever your score is from your rifle qual, that will count towards promotion points, not your pistol qual.

Is that true? I was told otherwise.

Posts: 25 | Location: Ft. Lewis | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Parallax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RubberMan:
quote:
Whatever your score is from your rifle qual, that will count towards promotion points, not your pistol qual.

AR 600-8-19 says the following:
Section XIX
Administrative Points
3–44. Military training
a. Weapons qualification will comprise the most recent qualification score (but not older than 24 months) with individual assigned weapon.
(1) The most recent qualification will be used. However, if the Soldier fails to qualify through his or her own fault, the promotion work center will withdraw points reflected in Section A, Item 1b. When the Soldier qualifies, he or she may add the promotion points through reevaluation process. Qualification score will be provided by the CDR. If individual weapon qualification cannot be provided by the CDR and verifying information is not available, zero romotion points will be awarded.
(2) A Soldier’s individually assigned weapon will normally be the M16A2 rifle; however, it may be another individually assigned weapon when duty requires (for example, 45 or 38 caliber pistol for military police). The CDR’s decision applies.

So, it all depends on what your CDR decides is your individually assigned weapon. Enjoy!

Posts: 33 | Registered: 04 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RubberMan:
quote:

From who? We used the M16 qual for promotion at an MP unit.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3939 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
When I was a SGT going before the SSG board (2003), I was not assigned a weapon (working in the Pentagon); I was taken to the FBI Academy at Quantico, VA with a pistol (believe it was a 9mm or 45) to qualify. The DA Form 88 was used for promotion purposes.

On a side note, I haven't been "assigned" an individual weapon since I was in the Marine Corps (you actually signed for a weapon when you in-processed) ... we also had weapons cleaning twice per month on Thursday (if my memory serves me correctly).

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
quote:
On your ERB though, only your rifle qual will be on there as that is your assigned weapon.

As far as your ERB is concerned (you can check your at https://myerb.ahrs.army.mil)

You will have you most recent basic marksmanship qualification (BMQ) score (rifle, pistol, etc ...) listed directly under your "Military Education", Section VI of your ERB.

You can also have your Marksmanship Qualification Badges (MQB) listed in Section VIII - Awards and Decorations ... mine reads:

MQBE-P (This is the pistol badge)
MQBSS-R (This is the rifle badge) - Yeah, I need to go back to the rifle range. Frowner

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm in an MI unit. About have of the unit is assigned an M9 so thats what they use to qualify and for promotion. The other half has M16s so that what they use for promotion.

Posts: 208 | Location: Schofield Barracks, HI | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Can anyone help me with some information. On my ERB it reads BMQB as well as MQBSS-R, the question I have is; Are both badges supposed to be on my ERB or should I have one removed? I only wear a sharpshooter badge on my uniform.

Posts: 3 | Location: Fort Meade MD | Registered: 16 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post