ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Veterans / Retirement  Hop To Forums  Veteran / Retirement Discussion    Help with 1405 service time retirement please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with 1405 service time retirement please
 Login/Join

posted
Hello.
I am looking for the regs/information on calculating retirement pay.

I had four years active duty.
Then I was in the NG for 4 years. 6 months of that was ADT/ADSW and 3.5 years was regular NG.

Then I went back on active duty for an additional 16 years. I am still on active duty getting my retirement together.

I have a creditable active federal service of 20.5 years for 50% retirement with total service of 24 years.

Because I hit 20 years active federal service counted time for my active duty retirement, some have told my all my drills, IDT, and other non-federal service days of duty in the guard can now be added on as 1405 time. I have another 6 months of that time added up during those other 3.5 years in the Guard.

This would give me 21 years total active/1405 time, a 52.5 percent retirement. I was also told this gets entered in on a DA Form 7301-r or is part of the DA Form 2339.

The catch is, I am being told that those days only count for a Guard or Reserve retirement. The only thing that counts is the ADT/ADSW by the section doing the retirement paperwork.

On the other hand, I being told that that is true only to determine the 20 years AFS for retirement. Once you hit 20 years active, those non-federal active days get added in.

Does anyone have some regs or MOIs that can clear this up. The extra 2.5% would be great.

Thank you.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 05 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Found this info on a Maine National Guard website

Hope this helps

"1405" Service and Retirement

What is "1405" Service?

1405 Service is actually those Inactive Duty Training (IDT) points creditable toward retired pay that a reservist earned (normally prior to being ordered to continuous active duty service).

Does 1405 Service count when I compute my 20 year active duty service and retirement eligibility date?

No. To qualify for active duty retired pay, you first MUST complete 20 years of active duty – or qualify for, apply for, and be accepted for Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) before you can count 1405 service. Note: TERA is normally offered to individuals in controlled grades who have more that 15 years, but less than 20 years of active duty service

How does 1405 Service affect my active duty retired pay?

To calculate your 1405 service, you will need to know two numbers – your total points for retired pay and your total active duty points. You can get these numbers from the printout you receive annually – Air Guard from your AF Form 526 or Army Guard from your RPAM (NGB Form 23B).

Sample calculation:

Total Points for Retired Pay 7458

minus AD Points - 6773

equals 1405 Service Points 685

You’ll need to convert 1405 points into years

685 divided by 360 = 01 yrs 10 mos 25 dys

In this case active duty retired pay will be calculated on total years of active duty plus 1405 service.

Active Duty 20 yrs 00 mos 11 dys

plus 1405 service 01 yrs 10 mos 25 dys

equals 21 yrs 11 mos 06 dys

In this case retired pay would be calculated on 21.9 years. If you have questions concerning retired pay or other AGR issues give us a call (207) 626-4285/4554.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks.
There seems to be some confusion on this at places doing retirement for active duty guys. They are saying that time counts for nothing.

They are also advising people on retirement dates without counting fractional percentages.
i.e.- "if you retire on July 1st, you will only have 20 years and 6 months for a 50% retirement, you should stay 6 more months for a 52.5% retirement" instead of saying
"20 years and 6 months will give you a 51.25% retirement"

Posts: 2 | Registered: 05 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramairthree:
Thanks.
There seems to be some confusion on this at places doing retirement for active duty guys. They are saying that time counts for nothing.

They are also advising people on retirement dates without counting fractional percentages.
i.e.- "if you retire on July 1st, you will only have 20 years and 6 months for a 50% retirement, you should stay 6 more months for a 52.5% retirement" instead of saying
"20 years and 6 months will give you a 51.25% retirement"

I am in a similar boat as yourself but do not have 20 years of active federal service as of yet. I have over 13 years of AFS but had nearly 10 years of NG and Reserve time. My LES has me at 23 years but obviously my pay is based on the 22 year pay scale.

You have to realize that your high 3 will be based on your rank at 24 years so are you are getting more than an average person of your grade that will exactly retire at the 20 year mark. I hope to retire as a CW4 with the 28 or 30 years of service on the pay scale.

You can go into your OMPF and click your reserve time and print our your RPAS. That was actually computated when you received a new BASD date.

The time actually counts for something which is pay and your pay is definitely much higher at 24 years than 20 depending on your rank of course. If you are an E6; that will be the same at the 20 and 24 year mark which is 3461 which at 50 percent is 1730 a month.

Good luck.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hello dude..If you retirement before the age then your retirement pay scale is less then the after age retirement.If you want that your pay scale is increased then you must duty at the end of the retirement.

Posts: 5 | Location: canada | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It's the common thing when the man makes the retirement before the selected period he cannot take his total benefits which company had decided for himself...
If you want to make retirement due to some personal or home problem so you can bear it..
Otherwise you should spend your full period its make your skills better.

Posts: 3 | Location: New York | Registered: 15 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
R
quote:
Originally posted by arvenderpan:
It's the common thing when the man makes the retirement before the selected period he cannot take his total benefits which company had decided for himself...
If you want to make retirement due to some personal or home problem so you can bear it..
Otherwise you should spend your full period its make your skills better.
what are you trying to say? Lol

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ReUp63
posted Hide Post
Maybe a little late jumping in here, but if you're still active, request your personnel folks to generate a 1506 for you to compute your service. Only the AD periods (including 2 week drills) will be credited for retirement pay. Your post should have a Retirement Services Officer to assist you and show you how to accurately compute your service that is credible for retired pay.

Career Counselor (Retired)

Posts: 473 | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post