New
Find
Notify
Tools

ETS where/when to start?
 Login/Join

Picture of gforan
posted
I was just wondering where and when im supposed to start the process of switching back to a civilian life. I would ask my unit but from stories of other outgoing individuals the unit, they tend to tell you what they want to happen not whats supposed to happen. My ETS date is in Dec of 2008. If anyone has information on where to look up policy or regulation it would be greatly appreciated. I heard about a program that might be out there if you have a job set up before you ETS the army will let you go early. im just trying to get the whole truth about the process.

Posts: 40 | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
Are you retiring or just ETSing?

You'll start mandatory briefings/classes about six months from ETS; this doesn't mean you're getting out early.

The job thing is hoax. You can submit to get out early for education. You've got to provde proof though.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
AR - Good question I forgot to ask. I would guess this SM is ETS'ing and not retiring.

gforan - I was set to ETS DEC07. I'm sure you will get better input from others here in these forums but here is what I can tell you.

I started The Army Career Alumni Program (ACAP) as soon as I had a solid plan for my future and I was 12 months out. You can NOT ETS unless you have competed these courses. You're not allowed to commit yourself to any job during this time but you can network and see what's out there. When you are 90 days out I think that's when you can commit to a job but don't quote me on that.

I can tell you this, I have never heard of the army releasing you early to work in the civilian sector. Sounds like someone is fishing for ideas. Don't trust that idea!

The ACAP process takes a lot of time. That's why you start early. They teach you how to create a winning resume and how to market yourself. There is much more and you will find out all about it if you take that road.

I will tell you this from my own experience. I was ready to ETS but I still owed 4 years to my 8 year obligation. If you ETS and still owe the army time there is a good chance they will pull you back. Especially with all that's going on these days. Think about it. You are already trained. That would save the army a lot of time and money.

I wrote down all of my options, pros and cons etc. I wrote down what I make in the army and what I will make as a civilian. I also took the potential bonus and choice of assignment into consideration. If you have family you have to think of them as well. When it was all on paper it made much more sense to stay in. I would have made much more as a civilian but what if I was pulled back? I would not have received the bonus, choice of duty assignment and I would probably be sent somewhere I'd hate. Talk about some serious regret. When you start to think about all the benefits we recieve while in active status, we really have it pretty good.

I'm not retention so I don't have the drive to talk you into staying. But personally I think it's smart to complete your 8 year obligation and then consider ETS. That gives you time to complete college and earn that great job, it gives you time to adjust to the army. Maybe you'll like it and stay??? It gives you time to save for your future. It simply gives you more options.

Hope my story helps out. If not, I'm sure someone will send you the info you need.

Bring it on!

Posts: 103 | Location: Korea | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bring it on!:
AR - Good question I forgot to ask. I would guess this SM is ETS'ing and not retiring.

Yeah, me too ... but this was posted in the "Veterans/Retirement" Section. Confused

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I ETSed from the Air Force on 04/98, early out for a civilian position by 2 months. So, yes there is an early out available...however this is based on commander approval. Doubt the current Army will authorize an early out for civilian jobs.

I started the process about 6months from my ETS date. I also started fishing the civilian sector and talking to personnel departments from companies I wished to be employed by...some of them excepted my resume to hold until I was closer to actually ETSing. I highly suggest getting feelers out there as soon as possible.

BTW the Army will send you back to your enlistment location, for me that would be Arlington, TX. But you can decline this move and stay in whatever local area you are now. You can also take a DITY move and use the money to move wherever you like...you may pay some out of pocket though.

Posts: 14 | Location: Ft Deterick | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have less than thirty days out from my ETS. My chain of command is still making me go on Field missions. Taking away from much needed time too Clear. Is there a regulation stating I'm required these final thirty days, or am I going to have to suck it up?

-Sam

Posts: 1 | Registered: 17 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pathfinder1
posted Hide Post
You "have" to have time to attend ACAP. What about terminal leave? They don't have to give much else. Why are you getting out? What are you going to do? Where will you live and work? What job are you going to do? If you cannot answer EVERY ONE of these directly, stay in. RE-Up for a different assignment or MOS. A change of pace and scenery makes it all new again.

Posts: 82 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
AR 635–200 • 6 June 2005

Par 1-7

1–7. Processing goals
a. Processing time for separations when the notification procedure is used will not normally not exceed 15 working
days.
b. Processing time when the administrative board procedure is used will not normally exceed 50 working days.
c. Processing time will be measured from the date the Soldier acknowledges receipt of the notification of the
proposed separation to the date the separation authority directs separation. (See para 2–2h concerning the receipt of
notification.)
d. Shorter processing times are encouraged, particularly for cases in which prompt action is likely.
e. Failure to process an administrative separation within these timeframes will not prevent separation or characterization
of service.
f. DA Form 5138 is used to ensure processing goals are met.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 18 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know that is the time by reg for separation but I have seen the one for PCS before and it is the same thing. As soon as i find it ill post it.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 18 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post