ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Veterans / Retirement  Hop To Forums  Veteran / Retirement Discussion    Questions about ETS. Nearing 160 Days
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about ETS. Nearing 160 Days
 Login/Join

posted
I just had some questions about the ETS process mainly at Fort Hood.

I am currently about 160 days out from the start of my terminal leave. I have already started and finished the ACAP briefings a few months ago.

What I am looking to find out is what are my next steps?

I really like to stay ahead of the game sense I don't want to be one of those people rushing at the end to get everything done in the 10 clearing days that are given and my COC isn't very helpful in the info area on this but they are fine with me preparing myself and giving me the time to do so.

Also to put more questions out there for anyone who might know.

I plan on driving home and transporting all of my personal property in my POV when I leave. Does anyone know the process on getting paid for the travel from base to my HOR sense i wont be at a base to fill out a travel voucher?

Also I am pretty sure this is going to be a no and a long shot. But I will have 5 1/2 years in service when i ETS i keep hearing about all this separation pay is there any chance that I would be entitled to that pay?

Ok well i think that's it for now if i think of more questions I will just post them later.

Thanks everyone for all the help that u will post.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Congrats and thanks for your service!

Why would you get ANY separation pay? That's if you're kicked out (like unemployment for a little while) or disabled.

You'll likely have to mail your transportation paperwork in after you get to your final destination. But the Transpo office will be able to tell you everything you need to know. You can start asking them now but you'll have an appointment with them.

You should have orders at least 2 months out from you leaving there. Are you taking terminal leave?

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
You are entitled to unemployment if you cannot find work upon discharge.

Also, you will receive all your final pay prior to you ETSing.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
you will receive all your final pay prior to you ETSing.

Chief, I'm in the same boat as the sm and need elaboration of your quote. Are you referring to travel entitlements (mileage/per diem) prior to going on terminal leave?

Posts: 7 | Registered: 05 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes I am taking terminal leave my ETS date is in early march and i will be starting my terminal leave in early feb.

Also same question as above ^

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fortcouch297:
quote:
you will receive all your final pay prior to you ETSing.

...Are you referring to travel entitlements (mileage/per diem) prior to going on terminal leave?

NO. You'll have to submit paperwork and wait for that. He said "final PAY".

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So, by your logic AUTO- I will be compensated for my 45 days of terminal leave prior to taking said leave. That makes zero sense; I will be given a post-dated DD214, so I will still be on active duty. If considered active duty, I will continue to be payed on the 1st and 15th, and will still be issued monthly LESs. Doesn't DFAS hold all retiring/seperating SM FINAL pays for up to 90 days (after ETS date) to ensure all debts are paid?

posted Hide Post
Ok just the final paycheck was what Chief was talking about.

Thank you for the time frame to get my orders.

However, do you know when i should start like my phase 1 physical? Do I have to do a Levy Brief? How soon before can i clear CIF, will i have to wait for my clearing papers and orders before i can do that like with a normal PCS?

The only thing that i know i need to do soon is go see the reserve recruiter, but besides that I'm not sure what else to do and what the time frames I can do them in.

Thanks again

posted Hide Post
Carson issues ETS orders 120 days out...

http://www.carson.army.mil/dhr...Transitions/ETS.html

The Phase I/II depends on you. The link below will explain...

http://www.crdamc.amedd.army.m...lt.asp?page=soldiers

You can turn in your TA-50 at anytime,but you cannot clear without clearing papers. You should receive a Levy because you have an MSO remaining, while IG can provide specific timelines for picking up clearing papers (5-14 working days depending on installation).

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fortcouch297:
So, by your logic AUTO- I will be compensated for my 45 days of terminal leave prior to taking said leave. That makes zero sense; I will be given a post-dated DD214, so I will still be on active duty. If considered active duty, I will continue to be payed on the 1st and 15th, and will still be issued monthly LESs. Doesn't DFAS hold all retiring/seperating SM FINAL pays for up to 90 days (after ETS date) to ensure all debts are paid?

Actually yes- good point. They could wait on that final paycheck.

And an ETSing Soldier would still have their ID card, they're supposed to turn it in when the teminal leave ends.