Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
ETS Balance
 Login/Join

posted
I am a bit confused as to how terminal leave works. I have and accrued balance of 33 days and an ETS balance of 40 days. What balance do I go off of for terminal leave? What will happen to my accrued leave if I go off the ETS balance? Please help!

Picture of Soldier228
posted Hide Post
ETS is your terminal leave it is so you can take care of anything you need to do before you go into the civilian world again but you won't be able to use them combined so you might want to either sell the 33 or use it and wait a little while before you try to use the 40 but the 40 is up to your commanders discretion you can get 30 anything over 30 your commander makes that decision hope this helps

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
ETS balance only shows on an enlisted LES which reflects the total amount of leave days remaining until your ETS date.

For example, if I sign up for 4 years active, I will start off with an ETS balance of 120 (4 X 30 = 120) but accrued days will be at 0 because I have yet to accrue (earn) any leave days. Remember you earn 2.5 days a month and that adds up each month if you do not take any leave.

So based on your current numbers, and if you do not take any more leave days, your accrued balance will eventually equate to your ETS balance of 40. But that will not happen since you are not cashing in your leave days (that will be foolish), and you will take all the remaining days available for your ETS and that will be 40.

Understand?

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Report This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Soldier228:
ETS is your terminal leave it is so you can take care of anything you need to do before you go into the civilian world again but you won't be able to use them combined so you might want to either sell the 33 or use it and wait a little while before you try to use the 40 but the 40 is up to your commanders discretion you can get 30 anything over 30 your commander makes that decision hope this helps

He can take up to 60 days (two months) for his transition leave without higher approval. I have known soldiers that have taken 90 and 120 days for transition leave. 40 days is just a month and a half, so he is within his window for just Company Commander approval. Selling leave is a ludicrious suggestion since those leave days earned are subjected to taxes, so he will be receiving less money than what you might expect.

Also, your writing and response is confusing (maybe because it is a run-on sentence) plus it is totally inaccurate. ETS DOES NOT equate to terminal now called transition leave. ETS is the date when your active duty service obligation ends. And your response may appear to suggest that he has a total of 73 days by advising that he sells the 33 days and use the 40 days later. Wrong!

The OP has 40 days total leave days left and that's that. He has 33 days of leave that he has earned (accrued) since the last time he went on leave. He can only request up to 40 if he does not take any more personal leave between now and the day he ETS; only if it is for transition leave. So if he takes 5 days of personal leave before his ETS date, he will have an ETS balance of 35 that will be remaining for transition leave. See how that works?

If you do not believe me; look at your last end of month LES. Check the ETS balance. Take some leave and when it processes; check your ETS balance again. I bet you my whole base pay, the number will be less than before.

posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your assistance. I am aware of what ETS is and what accrued leave is, I was just confused as to what to go off of on my leave form cause I wasn't expecting to ETS this year, it just happened.

posted Hide Post
Are you separating prior to your ETS date? If so that changes things.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Report This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Maybe he wanted to re-enlist and he was not eligible so he has to ETS.

Daddy, it is hard to give a good answer when the 5Ws are not given Smiler

Also, do these individuals ever ask their leaders first? I feel like they are afraid to ask a question to them in thinking they will get ridiculed or embarrassed so they rather come here to ask.

posted Hide Post
I am a female, no biggie but I was being referred to as a a male. I have been in for 6 years and didn't want to have to reclass again, so I have made the decision to get out. No, I am nit afraid to approach my leaders, I was just being given unsure answers.Thanks again for your insights.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Your leaders did not know nor could not find out for you how to fill out a DA31 when it relates to ETSing? Sheesh.

posted Hide Post
Your ETS balance is what you should go off of for terminal leave. The accrued balance is what you have earned already and can use now. The ETS balance is what you will have earned as of the end of you contract. It's almost like you are earning more leave days while you are on terminal leave. Does that make sense?

posted Hide Post
ok so let me ask a question , my husband has 1yr left on his reenlistment totaling 8yrs. His ets balance is showing 99.5 days as of rght now , his accrued leave is showing 57.5 with a use or lose of 1.5 as of now , however he is being told oct 15 he will have 9.5 accrued leave days that he will need to sell back. He has been flagged since jan for a p3 for his knees. He asked not to be on the p3 but they did it anyway. now they are throwing a ch 18 at him. what can he do about his leave days? can he use ets days as well ?

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
You should add this question to the other thread that you created.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devoted army spouse:
ok so let me ask a question , my husband has 1yr left on his reenlistment totaling 8yrs. His ets balance is showing 99.5 days as of rght now , his accrued leave is showing 57.5 with a use or lose of 1.5 as of now , however he is being told oct 15 he will have 9.5 accrued leave days that he will need to sell back. He has been flagged since jan for a p3 for his knees. He asked not to be on the p3 but they did it anyway. now they are throwing a ch 18 at him. what can he do about his leave days? can he use ets days as well ?

Well you are involuntary separated/chapter; it is very different than somebody who is leaving the service under normal conditions. If he is being chaptered and that is definitely a given; then he needs to see legal on what his options are.