ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

   

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum
 
ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  IT Forum    PureEdge on the iPhone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
PureEdge on the iPhone
 Login/Join
 

Picture of stoicjustice
posted
I don't want to advertise or anything, but I have noticed that there is a lot of discussion on this forum about using PureEdge across Windows, Mac OSX, and Ubuntu - and the problems it represents across them all.

A buddy and I submitted an app to the app store, that will be available tomorrow, that allows you to submit army forms from your iPhone(it's called NCOForms). We only offer support for DA31 and DA2062 right now, but we have more coming. This may provide a small bit of help to those of you who are having problems submitting them from your particular OS.


APFT iPhone App - http://bit.ly/d9dINL
Submit Army Forms from your iPhone - http://bit.ly/dmlau7
 
Posts: 153 | Registered: 23 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool, but it looks like you're limited to PDF output.

The biggest limitation I find is in fact the digital signature function which is currently limited to Pureedge and select 3rd party produced PDFs.

My command actually requires DA 31s to be digitally signed.


This is a ten level task
 
Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yeah, and i have yet to figure out how to use PureEdge on my Macbook Pro. I love my Mac and will never go back to a PC. But its lookin like i might have to get a little pc just for PureEdge forms
 
Posts: 118 | Location: It Rains here | Registered: 08 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rich12b:
Yeah, and i have yet to figure out how to use PureEdge on my Macbook Pro. I love my Mac and will never go back to a PC. But its lookin like i might have to get a little pc just for PureEdge forms


Or just dual-boot and/or run a virtualization program. (Run windows inside of Mac.)


Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me
 
Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
Pureedge can be made to work with limited functionality using Wine, but ApproveIt does not.

Personally, I use Virtualbox and Win2K for this (and for IE6, which is the only browser that displays a certain work related site properly)


This is a ten level task
 
Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of stoicjustice
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I hear you guys about the whole digital signature thing. Obviously right now, we can't comply to that because it's difficult to confirm somebody without a CAC-Card reader.

That's why we have started the project with 2 forms that we know a lot of people never need to digitally sign. Of my 8 years in the Army, I never had to digitally sign a DA31 or DA2062.(but I do understand that this may be a requirement for some people) My partner in this project literally rebuilt the entire forms pixel-by-pixel to look incredible as a pdf because pdfs normally don't come out looking all that great.

We are really excited about the new 4.2 software update that apple is releasing in November because it will allow people to print directly from their phones to any HP wireless printer or any printer that is connected to a wireless network. I know that my Company didn't have this nice of a setup, but it may help somebody out there.(It's also available today - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app...rms/id387436703?mt=8)


APFT iPhone App - http://bit.ly/d9dINL
Submit Army Forms from your iPhone - http://bit.ly/dmlau7
 
Posts: 153 | Registered: 23 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of the cruiser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoicjustice:
Yeah, I hear you guys about the whole digital signature thing. Obviously right now, we can't comply to that because it's difficult to confirm somebody without a CAC-Card reader.

That's why we have started the project with 2 forms that we know a lot of people never need to digitally sign. Of my 8 years in the Army, I never had to digitally sign a DA31 or DA2062.(but I do understand that this may be a requirement for some people) My partner in this project literally rebuilt the entire forms pixel-by-pixel to look incredible as a pdf because pdfs normally don't come out looking all that great.

We are really excited about the new 4.2 software update that apple is releasing in November because it will allow people to print directly from their phones to any HP wireless printer or any printer that is connected to a wireless network. I know that my Company didn't have this nice of a setup, but it may help somebody out there.(It's also available today - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app...rms/id387436703?mt=8)


Yeah, you can try to use VMWare or Parallels. The cool thing about Virtual Box is that its free. You'll need Microsoft OS though.

Nice job on the forms so far though. I'm sure a lot of people will find good use for it.
 
Posts: 99 | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
They figured out printing from the iPad some months back http://appadvice.com/appnn/201...pad-printing-simple/

I feel your pain on the duplication of forms. This weekend my project was to create a DA 4856 in Access so I could mass print required counselings. Granted, mine aren't pixel perfect, but passable.

Open source development could potentially be the answer ( see my blog post), but I think even that will be problematic due to the limited market for such things.

What we're looking at is a small portion of the population who are even interested in digital forms, and a very small portion of those who employ non-MS software.

Unless the government decides to move to an entirely web based system we're probably stuck with alternative format forms.

The web based idea is quite feasible because the XFDL file is simply a compressed XML. Gradkell has reportedly created an entirely web server based signature client in Java, so that could be replicated.


This is a ten level task
 
Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of stoicjustice
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it would really be best if there was a single format but until then, people will continue to try and refine the system. The reason is that the current system under PureEdge is awful.

We are planning on updating the iPhone app for counseling forms and 4856s in the near future. Those seem to be 2 forms that people use frequently that don't require digital signatures.


APFT iPhone App - http://bit.ly/d9dINL
Submit Army Forms from your iPhone - http://bit.ly/dmlau7
 
Posts: 153 | Registered: 23 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of stoicjustice
posted Hide Post
For those of you mentioning things about counseling forms - NCOForms now supports them. We are actually currently testing 2 more (DA4187 and DA705) for an update that will come in the next week or 2. If you guys have any suggestions for more forms that would be nice to submit from your iPhone - let me know.


APFT iPhone App - http://bit.ly/d9dINL
Submit Army Forms from your iPhone - http://bit.ly/dmlau7
 
Posts: 153 | Registered: 23 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of stoicjustice
posted Hide Post
Just as an update, NCOForms for the iPhone now supports the following forms:

DA31
DA2062
DA4856
DA4187
DA705

If you guys have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them.


APFT iPhone App - http://bit.ly/d9dINL
Submit Army Forms from your iPhone - http://bit.ly/dmlau7
 
Posts: 153 | Registered: 23 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Warcrimes:
The web based idea is quite feasible because the XFDL file is simply a compressed XML. Gradkell has reportedly created an entirely web server based signature client in Java, so that could be replicated.


It seems way too easy to build a server package for the forms. That way even tactical units could have them available if the internet goes down. Fewer PC problems, etc...


Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me
 
Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Will you be making one for the iPad soon? Also it would be great if someone could put together a iPad leaders book together.
 
Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Campbell KY | Registered: 26 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a new XFDL Reader out for both iPad and iPhone, it will read any XFDL out there (well, the ones I have tested so far). You're still limited to PDF output, but I'm working on that as well. ou can also open emailed XFDL files, and edit them.

Here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/ap...der/id580387117?mt=8
 
Posts: 2 | Registered: 28 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFC Dahlstrom:
I have a new XFDL Reader out for both iPad and iPhone, it will read any XFDL out there (well, the ones I have tested so far). You're still limited to PDF output, but I'm working on that as well. ou can also open emailed XFDL files, and edit them.

Here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/ap...der/id580387117?mt=8


Great work- good luck with digital signing. Big Grin


Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me
 
Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  IT Forum    PureEdge on the iPhone

 
   
 
    
 
 
  
Google Site maps Generator Tool